PDA

View Full Version : drop-down menus drop up

Heimhenge
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Just upgraded to LW8.5 (on W2K), and when I go to a drop down menu, say Edit, instead of the sub menu "dropping down" like it should, it "drops up," so I have to put my cursor on the arrow at the top of the sub-menu, then it scrolls to where the entire sub-menu is visible.

I hope I decribed that sufficiently. If not, I've attached a screen capture.

So is this just the way it works? Or am I missing some preferences setting? I looked all over and can't find any related setting. It's not a critical problem ... just very annoying. I don't recall this happening in LW7.

Heimhenge

JeffrySG
05-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I think this is a feature, not a bug. When you open any of the menus it opens right on the previously selected option. While it took me a little while to get used to it, I actually love it and wish more apps had it this way. If you use a specific item a lot it will save the time of having to scroll down or up to it. I'm on 9.3.1, so I'm assuming that 8.5 works the same way.

Chilton
05-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi,

JeffrySG is correct, this is a 'feature'. FWIW I removed this feature in an Open Beta release of the Mac version last year, thinking it was a bug, and was thoroughly smacked around by our users, who apparently rely on this feature quite a bit.

-Chilton

Heimhenge
05-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Ahhh ... so it's like the Windows "classic" vs. "scrolling" menu options, but it defaults to scrolling. I see now that my most frequently used selections are indeed the ones that are visible immediately. For a person like me, who's still findinmg my way around the new interface and trying all the different features, it's an annoyance. But once I get down to using LW (aot just learning it), I imagine it will seem more a feature and less a bug.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Heimhenge

Matt
05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
There is an option to have them pop down so all options are on screen in General Options, not sure if it's in 8.5 though.

Heimhenge
05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Doesn't look like v8.5 has that option. I checked both General Options and Display Options, and couldn't find it anywhere. But like I said in my first post, I'd been through all the menus once already and couldn't find it. The fact that NewTek included it in v9 tells me I must not be the only one who would like this option.

I'll likely be upgrading from W2K to XP in the near future, so when that happens, looks like I'll get my wish. Thanks.

Heimhenge