PDA

View Full Version : LW Newbie.

bandesdesign
05-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi.

I've recently installed LW 9.3, never having any experience in it at all. I also purchased the book Essential Lightwave v9 by Warner, Phillips & Albee after reading some glowing reviews. I'm relegated to an older G4 running 10.4.11.

But so far, I've not been able to progress through the Chapter 3 tutorial video on the DVD as I don't seem to be able to do some of the most minor things.

First, does anyone have a recommendation for a Mac 3-button mouse, which seems to me almost an essential?

If anyone is familiar with this book, does it seem to be more PC than Mac in approach?

Maybe you can't really just jump into the disk tutorials... maybe?

Thanks...

medicalart
05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
As a Mac user, I've just gotten used to using the command, control, and option buttons instead of a 3-button mouse. I bought a cheap 3-button mouse and used it for a while until the rubber ball got dirty. Cleaning it constantly was a waste of time. Therefore I recommend one that doesn't use a rubber ball. Otherwise, just use the keyboard equivalents.

Giacomo99
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
The Apple Mighty Mouse works great for me.

As far as being confused, I can only advise you to to hang in there and do basic tutorials over and over until they start to make sense, which was how I learned. When I upgraded to Lightwave 8, I received a printed "Getting Started Guide" that's a simplified version of the Albee and Warner book--if you have a copy, you might want to try the tutorials in that if you're having trouble.

Dan Ablan's "Inside Lightwave 9" is another intro-to-Lightwave book that might be of use to you. I've found Ablan's general approach a little easier to comprehend than Albee's or Warner's.

Good luck.

archijam
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I found almost no differences between working on PC and mac, and in fact I still use both (bootcamp). A -few- keys are different, but this is mainly due to differences in the keyboard itself.

I have never used the middle mouse button, but the right mouse button is extremely useful for your selection lasso. Getting used to using Shift, Alt and Ctrl for the different functions takes practice, but just do it as much as you can, or do a few exercises like the following while doing your tutorials.

In modeler, try drawing a box, and then zooming in on a point, which keeping it in all of your view windows, or draw a spline and follow along it using pans, rotates and zoom.

In Layout (with some objects loaded for reference), divide your view (f3 or f4), change to the camera view, and try moving the camera around while acting as the camera (Apple key to move in the Y Axis).

Space bar swaps poly modes in modeler, and transformations in Layout. If you have a noisy space bar, your neighbors will not like you much any more ;)

If you know anyone who uses LW, a few hands on -simple- tips could be invaluable. Not to say that you can't do it on your own or with dvd's, but in my case Exception showed me some things early on that changed the way I approached LW entirely.

Example: Selection in LW. You will notice (tho I didn't at first) that some tools keep poly selected after completing, or drop them. This can be very handy, as you use a tool like Bevel, as starting with one poly, and every few bevels assigning a surface, you can in 30 seconds make an extremely complicated, completely texture assigned profile (window frame for example, or all of the windows in a house simultaneously). With Drill on Stencil mode you can also assign your surfaces as you model, while keeping them as one continuous object ..

The reason I use modeler is that it's actually fun to work in .. so .. enjoy !

littlewaves
05-04-2008, 03:43 AM
I bought LW maybe 2 years ago and really didn't get very far at all until William Vaughan started posting all his video tutorials.

Some of them are more beginner oriented than others but I'd recommend downloading the whole lot and just watching them all to start with. (hours worth of stuff there though)

You'll see him use lots of the same common features and he explains stuff very clearly as he goes along.

you can get them at this link
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php?t=77002

I'd recommend starting by viewing all the introductions to the various tools

bandesdesign
05-04-2008, 06:46 AM
OK...

This has been too cool.

Thanks to everyone for their quick replies and support.

JeffrySG
05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I actually have a mighty mouse sitting in my closet because I can't stand using it. And to be honest I've been using these inexpensive DELL Optical mice (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=310-8205) for the past three years and I love it. It is a two button mouse with a scroll wheel which also acts as the middle mouse button. So if you're looking to try out a multi-button mouse this would be a really inexpensive good quality one. No setup required, everything works as soon as you plug it in. It is also symmetrical so it works for leftys and rightys as well.

I'm always surprised when I hear other Mac users that are still not using three button mice yet. It makes things go so much quicker all around in my work for 3d (and 2d apps).

medicalart
05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, the mighty mouse is awful to use--I'm alway trying to press the left side and end up pressing the right side. Apple designed that product so it looks good in an ad, but that's about all. I'll try that Dell mouse that JeffrySG suggests.

littlewaves
05-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm always surprised when I hear other Mac users that are still not using three button mice yet. It makes things go so much quicker all around in my work for 3d (and 2d apps).

yeah same here

I just use any old cheapo pc world 3 bttn usb mouse and it works fine

the mighty mouse that came wth my mac lasted about 6 weeks before the ball got too dirty. Then I smashed it up trying to open it up and clean it

prefer a chunky scroll wheel anyway.

toby
05-05-2008, 03:11 AM
I've had the same Logitech 4-button laser mouse for 5 years now....

BazC
05-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Yup I'm using a Logitech laser mouse too, I actually prefer my old Microsoft Optical mouse but since I updated to 10.5 the middle mouse button doesn't work and last time I checked MS didn't have any Intel Mac drivers :(

BazC
05-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Seems that UB drivers are now available from MS

JeffrySG
05-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I was on the phone with a client the other day and I was telling him to 'right-click' on something. And he said that he was on a Mac and didn't have a right button. I was kind of floored. I told him that I only work on Macs and we've been using two button mice for years.

To be honest, I think what prompted me to get my first 2-button mouse was when I started playing Unreal2004, though, not for 3d. lol

Scazzino
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
First, does anyone have a recommendation for a Mac 3-button mouse, which seems to me almost an essential?

I use a Wacom Intuos 9x12 graphics tablet with its 5 button mouse in my work studio, and a Wacom Graphire 6x9 graphics tablet with its 3 button mouse at my home studio. The stylus/tablets come in handy for painting textures, retouching and paint/sculpting in 3D. The included multibutton mice come in handy for everything else.

BTW: Welcome aboard!

:thumbsup: