PDA

View Full Version : VideoTutorial: MDDs en masse deforming a single object...

Cageman
05-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Hi,

The title was hard to come up with, but hopefully you are curious enough to click on it. :)

Lets say you have 5 objects that each have a very heavy rig with animation and the thing is; you need to somehow combine these into a single scenfile. Load From Scene MAY work, but the scene will probably become very, very slow so you have to find another way. Another thing; you may have to time each of these rigs (animation) so that they correspond to eachother, which could end up being impossible. Maybe your rigs are heavily dependent on things that may break on a Load From Scene operation etc. On top of this, you have to have these 5 rigs combined, because you are going to clone the object(s) and have hundreds of them in the end.

Solution?

MDD-scan each scenefile, load each object into separate layers in Modeler. Save the layers as a single object (highlight the layers and use Save Layers as Object) and use Displacement Node-editor with DP-kit MDD Pointer node in order to give yourself alot of control!

How is this done?

Well, except the part of retiming, you'll find the information needed in my latest videotutorial.

Since my dear friend Jonas can't hold all of the files, you'll have to download this through my personal FTP. It may be slow, but the files aren't too big though.

The introduction can be found here.
(http://hangar18.campus.luth.se/~cageman/lightwave/Cageman_MDD_ManyDriveOne/01_Intro_1200x675.mov)
The rest of the files here (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21) (just go into the folder called Cageman_MDD_ManyDriveOne).

Have fun!

GregMalick
05-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Cageman,

This is another great tutorial you've done.
Very well explained.
Makes the process so easy to understand.

Thanks!

Cageman
05-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks alot Greg!

I should add that the car is not modeled by me. It comes from a library of free models. I'll have to track whoever made it and give some creds.

rakker16mm
05-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi Cageman,

I wanted to download the files but when I was connecting to the server it was asking for a password. Anyway it looks like a great tutorial and it may just save me on current project.

evenflcw
05-04-2008, 01:41 AM
That was a sweet workflow and usefull tip! And as Greg said, it's a well layed out tutorial.

Thanks!

Cageman
05-04-2008, 08:09 AM
The car I used in this video was downloaded from this (http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/models1.html) site. Unfortunately I can't see who actually made it, but at least you guys know from where it was taken. The last thing I want is to steal credit from other artists.

zapper1998
05-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Thank You

JeffrySG
05-04-2008, 10:06 AM
@cageman: I too tried to connect... I'm on a Mac so I used an FTP client and I was able to connect but there were no files that appeared in the folder structure on the FTP site. See, pic...

Never mind.... If I pasted "Cageman_MDD_ManyDriveOne" into the path directory it then worked...
Thanks for the wonderful tutorials once again!!! :D

JeffrySG
05-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Cageman,

I wanted to download the files but when I was connecting to the server it was asking for a password. Anyway it looks like a great tutorial and it may just save me on current project.

These are the settings I used to connect using an FTP client. Hope this can help.

Cageman
05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Jeff,

If you are going to use an FTP-client, remove 'ftp://LightWave:[email protected]' (without the ' ') in the Host/URL field. Otherwise the username and password will be entered twice because you enter them in the separate fields as well.

Let me know if that helps.

To ALL:

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

Cageman
05-04-2008, 11:39 AM
For anyone having trouble using the direct link, use an FTP-client and add the following information:

URL/HOST/IP: cageman.dyndns.org
Username: LightWave
Password: newtek
Port: 21

JeffrySG
05-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Jeff,
If you are going to use an FTP-client, remove 'ftp://LightWave:[email protected]' (without the ' ') in the Host/URL field. Otherwise the username and password will be entered twice because you enter them in the separate fields as well.
Let me know if that helps.
To ALL:
Thanks for the nice comments. :)

Great thanks for the info!
Wonderful videos!!! :D
I love all of your tutorials!

rakker16mm
05-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I managed to connect earlier this morning but the connection dropped out before I was able to transfer the file. That was probably our DSL skipping a beat. So I waited until I got to the studio to try again but now I am having no luck at all. I entered Username: LightWave & Password: newtek but it says this is invalid. If any one can help it would be great.

Thank You

Cageman
05-04-2008, 03:31 PM
:/

What software do you use to connect with? If you use FireFox, look for a plugin called FireFTP. It's a free tool that transforms FireFox into a simple but good FTP-client. Have you tried pinging cageman.dyndns.org?

What happens if you use this link:

ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21

?

rakker16mm
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
:/

What software do you use to connect with? If you use FireFox, look for a plugin called FireFTP. It's a free tool that transforms FireFox into a simple but good FTP-client.

FireFTP sounds like a great tool. I would like to use it to put my message board back up, but I've just spent 20 minutes looking for the download link @, http://fireftp.mozdev.org/ I admit I am dyslexic and right now I'm feeling kind of frustrated and suspect that the link is actually there but I am just missing it.

Have you tried pinging cageman.dyndns.org?

I'm maybe entering the wrong network address but this is what I get when I ping ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21

Ping has started ...

ping: cannot resolve ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21: Unknown host

What happens if you use this link:

ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21

?

I just get the same message about incorrect password and or user name.

Cageman
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, when you ping my computer you should only use the actual adress which is cageman.dyndns.org

So, this seems to be a problem with IE and FireFox on your part (since others have managed to connect and download). Don't know what to do about that. You could download a timelimited trialversion of FlashFXP (just google around and you should find it).

rakker16mm
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Well, when you ping my computer you should only use the actual adress which is cageman.dyndns.org

OK, here is what I get using "cageman.dyndns.org"
Ping has started ...

PING cageman.dyndns.org (83.249.97.220): 56 data bytes

--- cageman.dyndns.org ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

So, this seems to be a problem with IE and FireFox on your part (since others have managed to connect and download). Don't know what to do about that. You could download a timelimited trialversion of FlashFXP (just google around and you should find it).

I was able to connect in the past when I downloaded your tutorials on the boat wake. At that time it never asked me for a password. I don't use Internet Exploder, but I did try with Firefox and Safari the latest versions of each.

rakker16mm
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I have no idea why but I just gave it one more try and this time it worked OK.

Thank you for you time and effort.

J

ramccombe
05-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanx Cageman for another great tut. For JeffrySG, I noticed by your screen grab that you're on a Mac, the question is there a new version of MDD pointer for Mac? I tried to make it work on Cagemans last tut and MDD pointer didn't work.

Thanx, Richard:confused:

Cageman
05-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Great thanks for the info!
Wonderful videos!!! :D
I love all of your tutorials!

Thanks! :)

I have to say I really like your modeling tutes. A bunch of eyeopeners for someone like me that haven't done that much of modeling!

Keep 'em comming!

Cheers! :)

PS. Isn't this just lovely? People with different experiences sharing their knowledge/workflow across the whole community! This is one of the reasons LW simply rocks!

A big salute to all the communitymembers contributing for free.. WE HAVE TO LOVE IT! :)

Cageman
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi guys!

Just a short update to this technique regarding large objects.

Video, 15.9MB (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_MDD_ManyDriveOne/MDD_ManyDriveOne_Large_objects.mp4) (right-click and save target as)

Link to DPKit! (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html)

Cheers!