PDA

View Full Version : Just disovered Dr. Who

Chris S. (Fez)
05-02-2008, 01:09 AM
"Ex-term-in-ate! Ex-term-IN-ATE!! EX-TERM-IN-ATE!!!"

Awesome show. I just binged and watched the first 2 seasons on DVD. My compliments to "The Mill". Great effects work.

I was bummed when Chris Eccleston regenerated into that twitchy Harry Potter villain, but the "new" Doctor Who became the character in no time...

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 02:15 AM

Awesome show. I just binged and watched the first 2 seasons on DVD. My compliments to "The Mill". Great effects work.

I was bummed when Chris Eccleston regenerated into that twitchy Harry Potter villain, but the "new" Doctor Who became the character in no time...

Oh man that is so odd being English I have grown up with Dr Who - I watched the first episode when I was kid and everyone since. Stiill glad you found it :thumbsup:

Take a look here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/) Series currently running in the UK.

Matt
05-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Like the original, never watched the new one myself.

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Have a look at the archive - it went off the air for years so the series numbering is confusing... The Daleks have been around for 45 years (or longer, time lord).

In 1963 I was eight - imagine the impact the Dalek's have on a kid...

Here is their first appearance Classic series 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/daleks/)

Matt
05-02-2008, 02:33 AM

That opening 'scream' as the camera goes down that tunnel on the opening credits had me running behind the sofa!

:)

inkpen3d
05-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Oh man that is so odd being English I have grown up with Dr Who - I watched the first episode when I was kid and everyone since. Stiill glad you found it :thumbsup:

Same with me - looks like we're the same age as well:thumbsup:

The original Dr Who series still have a certain quaint charm - I have fond memories of settling down in front of the fire on Saturday evenings with my family to watch the latest episode in glorious black & white:)

The new series are, on the whole, well scripted and slick productions that manage to still maintain the quirky nature of the original series. David Tennant is probably one of the best actors that they've had playing the part of the Doctor.

I would definitely recommend watching the new series if you haven't done so already.

Anti-Distinctly
05-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Didn't watch the old series. The new one is great I think, just started watching it.
Also, you may want to check out Torchwood, I've not seen any yet, but apparently it's a more serious series set in the same universe.

inkpen3d
05-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Also, you may want to check out Torchwood, I've not seen any yet, but apparently it's a more serious series set in the same universe.

Where apparently Cardiff, of all places, is the location of choice for aliens to start their domination of the universe! LOL

Anti-Distinctly
05-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Where apparently Cardiff, of all places, is the location of choice for aliens to start their domination of the universe! LOL

Hey, I like the Welsh.

inkpen3d
05-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Hey, I like the Welsh.

So do I - except when they start talking in Welsh as soon as you walk into a pub!:D

Matt
05-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Torchwood! Eugh, hated it (at least the episodes I saw)

AbnRanger
05-02-2008, 05:56 AM

I was bummed when Chris Eccleston regenerated into that twitchy Harry Potter villain, but the "new" Doctor Who became the character in no time...Anybody remember KLF and this song:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-FArLZvwFMg&feature=related
Old School version:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Adk1ujjmguo&feature=related

adrian
05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Today I went out and bought myself a talking Cyberman! Not the new one mind, the design from the mid-1980s - the best design of all. Now I can model it in LW :-)

BTW does anyone else think that the new series is trying too hard to be a comedy, no doubt because of that stupid cow that's in it now. My heart sank when I found out she was going to be in the show, it was bad enough for just one christmas special.

Still, nice to see the Sontarans making a comeback - the baddest short-asses in the galaxy!!!

NAS
05-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Tom Baker is the only Dr :)

NAS

adrian
05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Absolutely, he is the no.1 although to be fair both Christopher Eccelscake and David Tennant have been superb and they're not far behind.

The worst doctor of all time is Sylvestor McCoy, imho. Maybe the truly awful storylines didn't help him though.

gerry_g
05-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Anybody remember KLF and this song:

Well I remember Bill Drummond (founding member of) being at art school same time as me, lazy ahrab if ever there was one, his music is about as good as his art was.

Dr Who is so Brit, at least its original incarnation was, William hartnel's smug all knowing farther figure of a doctor dispensing pearls of wisdom and trite moral homilies to two clean scrubbed middle class kids with perfect enunciation, a far far cry from the estuary english yobo talk of the modern 'youfs' that frequent television land............difficult to know which is worse

inkpen3d
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
BTW does anyone else think that the new series is trying too hard to be a comedy, no doubt because of that stupid cow that's in it now. My heart sank when I found out she was going to be in the show, it was bad enough for just one christmas special.

Agree totally, she's bad enough in her own comedy shows, though it does look as though they've reigned her in a bit for Dr Who! I say bring back Billy Piper; far better looking! ;)

hdace
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I lived in the UK for 20 years, saw a lot of old episodes then. I've watched a couple of the new ones.

I think Dr Who is quite possibly the worst TV show ever. C'mon you guys, get a brain and start watching Star Trek & Battlestar Galactica.

skin12002
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi

I did a Dr Who animation last christmas with the first and tenth doctor

it was mostly done in lightwave with a bit of vue for the atmos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0xUSzb3Es0

cheers

Skin12002

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Well I liked Ecclestone better as he put some grit in the ham sandwich...

Tennant is good, but hammy hamster.

My least favourite was Patrick Troughton - I never could see him as the Dr.

As for Miss Tate "Am I bovvered?" - yes - she is talentless in the extreme. I have seen scenery that acted better. Mind you she is one step up the rung from 'Ace'..

Torchwood is OK, it tries far too hard to be 'adult' and hard-edged. Barrowman is good too, but I wish he would give up on his bid to takeover the airways.

As for thinking there is an alien gateway in Cardiff - well how else do you explain all those roadsigns consisting of soley consonants? Huh, the truth is out there...

It would seem that 1955 was not only famous for Bill Halley's visit then Inkpen
:D

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I lived in the UK for 20 years, saw a lot of old episodes then. I've watched a couple of the new ones.

I think Dr Who is quite possibly the worst TV show ever. C'mon you guys, get a brain and start watching Star Trek & Battlestar Galactica.

Ah sorry - you may have been here 20 years, but the British mentality escapes you - like Blakes 7 there is a degree of homebrew in Dr Who that adds some flavour. Like our beer it is an acquired taste.

It is not supposed to be convincing - or (TIC) Hollywood.

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Agree totally, she's bad enough in her own comedy shows, though it does look as though they've reigned her in a bit for Dr Who! I say bring back Billy Piper; far better looking! ;)

Yeah we need a petition! :agree:

adrian
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Well.... in case you didn't know, Billie Piper is coming back (did you see the end of the first episode?)

bobakabob
05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
All the recent Doctors have been utter rubbish. Ecclestone gurns his way through each episode and Tennant is just annoying, with a slightly glazed look dreaming of his paypacket. And the scripts are like Plan 9 from Outer Space crossed with East Enders (a bad soap).

Anyone see the episode where the hospital got transported to the moon? "Laughable, man!"

Patrick Troughton is the only Doctor :D

http://uktv.co.uk/images/standarditem/EX1/2744.jpg

Oh no... Billy Piper's back? Yecch.

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Well.... in case you didn't know, Billie Piper is coming back (did you see the end of the first episode?)

But as a replacement for Miss Tate? I don't count a viginette role. :thumbsdow

Chris S. (Fez)
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I like Dr Who because it is so irreverent. Having said that, the 2 parter that ended the second season was intense and quite touching. Must have got a bit of grit in my eyes...

Everybody likes classic trek. I like BSG but I personally find the spiritual overtones of recent episodes pompous and irritating. Technically BSG is an incredible show, but IMO Dr. Who is far more fun.

I could not watch any of these shows without Tivo or disk-sets. The BSG broadcasts are 40% commercials...

Chris S. (Fez)
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Take a look here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/) Series currently running in the UK.

Thanks for the link, though video content is unfortunately not accessible outside the UK. They made the Runaway Bride a "permanent" companion?! IMO there was barely enough chemistry between her and the Doc to sustain a single episode.

I guess I will reserve judgement until I see them interacting in a few shows...

Kuzey
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, the second season's finale is on tomorrow on BBC prime, the end of Rose :thumbsdow

Good thing shes coming back, but if she's not in the middle of all the action then it won't be the same.

As for the old doctors I like the one with the white afro.

Kuzey

Iain
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Catherine Tate might not be ideal for Dr Who but I don't know how anyone can say she's talentless. Her show is one of only a handful over the last few years that has given me genuine belly laughs.
Like all sketch shows, there are patchy bits but the foul mouthed Gran is a perfectly written and acted comedy character. The gay bloke in denial is priceless too.

Tom Baker was my favourite Doctor closely followed by Peter Davidson. All comes down to what age you were, I think.

The current run isn't doing it for me but I quite liked Ecclestone.

Torchwood is just plain f***ing awful.8/

Hopper
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
:dito: :agree: :thumbsup:

Giant eyes and Jelly Bellies

archijam
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
This FREAKED me out as a child.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/fourthdoctor/images/340/39.jpg

Gotta love jelly babies.

Hopper
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Gotta love jelly babies.
Oops! That's right. I said Jelly Bellies didn't I. Oh .. that's right, I love Jelly Bellies - The Dr. liked Jelly Babies

JVitale
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Tom Baker used to be my all time fave until David Tennant came on board...Now he is the best ever...some episodes can be terrible though...Like the first one this season...

this is the best fan site...with all kinds of news

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php

Torchwood was so so in the first season but excellent in the second season...

and can someone in the UK please explain to me why Cardiff gets treated like it's the toilet bowl of the UK....Just curious...I mean it gets no respect...

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Catherine Tate might not be ideal for Dr Who but I don't know how anyone can say she's talentless. Her show is one of only a handful over the last few years that has given me genuine belly laughs.
Like all sketch shows, there are patchy bits but the foul mouthed Gran is a perfectly written and acted comedy character. The gay bloke in denial is priceless too. /

Simple really - it's a totally subjective personal opinion based on the fact that I think she has no talent. I always will I expect, you enjoy her - great!

I would be boring if we were all the same. :)

And opinions are as we know, are like a**holes - everyone has them and most of them don't smell to good to other people.

Now I have seen some on the forums who don't understand that (not you Iain), but there are mavericks everywhere. (Clue three letters begins with J).

Now I'm asking for it :D

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 06:05 AM
http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php

Torchwood was so so in the first season but excellent in the second season...

and can someone in the UK please explain to me why Cardiff gets treated like it's the toilet bowl of the UK....Just curious...I mean it gets no respect...

Well the English poke fun I suppose as it is the capital of Wales. It's hard to understand the love-hate realtionship between the component parts of the UK from afar. The rivalry goes back centuries. At the end of the day we all rub a long by making fun of each other and our traditions.

The closest thing I have seen in the US is the East coast attitute to Californian's...

So while we are on the subject:

What do you call 3 sheep tied to a post in a field outside Cardiff?

An entertainment centre...:D

Matt
05-03-2008, 06:19 AM

NAS

I agree, I guess it's all to do with which ever one you grew up with, and he was mine!

Iain
05-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Simple really - it's a totally subjective personal opinion based on the fact that I think she has no talent. I always will I expect, you enjoy her - great!

I think a better example of a subjective opinion would have been "I don't find her funny" or "she isn't a very good actress".

To say she is "talentless in the extreme" is a statement of fact that completely ignores her incredible ability to observe, caricaturise and imitate.
I actually think (and I know a lot of others do too) that some of her acting in her sketch show is first class.
I don't think she fits well in Dr Who but to put another pretty young girl in would have been lazy.

NAS
05-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Catherine tate has written some great stuff in the past for French and Saunders
Her show is a terrible let down but then that has been the case so many times when a good writer moves front of stage

I haven't watched DR Who since she has been in it simply because she really annoys me
If somebody thinks she is talentless that is totally understandable on the strength of her show alone because i dont think it is very good personally either

Why is Cardiff the s***hole of Britian hahahahaha thats simple
Try living there
I have and i still visit regularly and its a s***hole
Thats nothing to do with the Welsh my brother in law is Welsh and so are my nieces and i visit Wales all the time
But Cardiff is a s***hole hahaha

NAS

Iain
05-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Catherine tate has written some great stuff in the past for French and Saunders
Her show is a terrible let down but then that has been the case so many times when a good writer moves front of stage

What?!?:stop:
Well that is a difference in opinion then as I thought (and think) that French and Saunders spun out a microscopic amount of comedic talent into a long and increasingly mind numbing TV career. Only beaten by the likes of Lenny Henry really.

The "Am I bothered" girl and the nurse aside, I think Tate has created more memorable and socially relevant characters already than they ever did.

NAS
05-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Hmmmm strange
SOmeone who moaned about subjectve opinion and then jumps on me having a subjective opinion that i did state was personal

You know people have different tastes and you don't have to whine everytime somebody says they don't like Catherine Tate

Funny thing is is that you are the first person i have ever heard of that actually liked her
But as i said every has there own taste

NAS

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Hmmmm strange
SOmeone who moaned about subjectve opinion and then jumps on me having a subjective opinion that i did state was personal

You know people have different tastes and you don't have to whine everytime somebody says they don't like Catherine Tate

Funny thing is is that you are the first person i have ever heard of that actually liked her

NAS

Iain I am sorry if you don't understand me, my subjective opinion is that she has no talent. It is subjective as it is my opinion. I did not say she had no talent, I said my *opinion* was that she was talentless.

That is my opinion and it won't be changed by semantics I am afraid.

Let me be more blunt. I don't like her. I find her attempts at characterisation puerile and derviative.

Now, I don't expect you to agree with me, but I am allowed to be unreasonable and biased. I am a human being - we are made that way.

Oh, and I don't say that Lenny Henry is a giant of comedy, but he is compared to Ms Tate. Of course, that is as subjective as your comments about French and Saunder's (which I happen to agree with).

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the link, though video content is unfortunately not accessible outside the UK. They made the Runaway Bride a "permanent" companion?! IMO there was barely enough chemistry between her and the Doc to sustain a single episode.

I guess I will reserve judgement until I see them interacting in a few shows...

Licencing I expect...

U-tube prolly has it ;)

Iain
05-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm strange

NAS

No need to be so thin skinned. Who's moaning and whining? In case you haven't noticed, a discussion has started on the merits of Catherine Tate.

That's what happens on discussion forums. Someone says something and you have the option to agree, disagree or talk about something else.

Everyone does indeed have their own taste and if you make statements based on yours on a public forum, you should be prepared for a reply that (shock, horror) might be different.

Iain
05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
It is subjective as it is my opinion. I did not say she had no talent, I said my *opinion* was that she was talentless.

That is my opinion and it won't be changed by semantics I am afraid.

Actually, you didn't. You said she was talentless in the extreme. Now obviously that is your opinion as you made the statement but you know how it is on the internet-you need that imho disclaimer:).

If you don't like her - similarly great. As I said above though, make a statement in public and people will disagree (or sometimes agree but that's dull!)

I used to work with a guy who looked like Davros. He was a big hit with the ladies in the office, as you can probably imagine.

NAS
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow that really told me
Hahahahahahaha

NAS

Matt
05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I love this one with Catherine Tate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYCn9SQ1RCM

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Actually, you didn't. You said she was talentless in the extreme. Now obviously that is your opinion as you made the statement but you know how it is on the internet-you need that imho disclaimer:).

If you don't like her - similarly great. As I said above though, make a statement in public and people will disagree (or sometimes agree but that's dull!)

I used to work with a guy who looked like Davros. He was a big hit with the ladies in the office, as you can probably imagine.

Heh, I'm not that humble :) - point taken though :agree:

Oh, argument is good, it's flaming I have little time for - mind you this seems a well mannered forum.

Could he do the voice as well?

kopperdrake
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Ah - just watched the latest Dr Who - second part of the Sontaran (sultana) invasion...love it! It's just decent fun, bit of humour, easy watching and so tongue in cheek it makes me grin. If you take it seriously and expect Hollywood-style effects then you miss the point totally. Any more Hollywood and it would end up being as bad as the US versions of the office.

Tom Baker does indeed rock - anyone who can carry off that scarf and still look cool is a hero in my book. But again, he's my childhood Doctor so I have no choice but to think that.

And Catherine Tate - I have to admit she annoyed me in the Christmas special, but she's really growing on me in this series...makes a change to *not* have a young looker as a side kick, and I think it's a good move to have someone who seems a bit more resistant to the Dr's 'chemistry' - much more fun.

As for Bernard Cribbins...bless him...a true icon :thumbsup:

cresshead
05-03-2008, 03:23 PM
John Pertwee and tom baker at the best dr who's...ahh when i was i kid!...well i still am really!

Tony_R_B
05-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Ah - just watched the latest Dr Who - second part of the Sontaran (sultana) invasion...love it! It's just decent fun, bit of humour, easy watching and so tongue in cheek it makes me grin. If you take it seriously and expect Hollywood-style effects then you miss the point totally. Any more Hollywood and it would end up being as bad as the US versions of the office.

<snip>

I could not agree more with the above, it is the irreverance which holds the charm, that and the nicest of political undertones - which the beeb can sometimes engender in its programs.

The Dr is a gunho, sabre rattling - pascifist. Now that demands some respect :D

David Tennant continues to grow into the role, and this week Catherine Tate wasn't bad. I quite like the tearful approach - so much more relaxing than the screaming of the 70's :)

JBT27
05-04-2008, 03:44 AM
So do I - except when they start talking in Welsh as soon as you walk into a pub!:D

The antidote to that is to go into a Welsh pub with a friend who speaks Welsh - only happened once, years ago, in Harlech where the friend I was with quickly sussed out that one table of old men were talking about us.....god knows why.....you'd think there were plenty and more important things to talk about.....:D

Julian.

JBT27
05-04-2008, 04:03 AM

Tom Baker does indeed rock - anyone who can carry off that scarf and still look cool is a hero in my book. But again, he's my childhood Doctor so I have no choice but to think that.

And Catherine Tate - I have to admit she annoyed me in the Christmas special, but she's really growing on me in this series...makes a change to *not* have a young looker as a side kick, and I think it's a good move to have someone who seems a bit more resistant to the Dr's 'chemistry' - much more fun.

Yeah.....the thought of Catherine Tate as the latest side-kick made me cringe, but she's not been bad so far, growing on me too - I never liked Martha, the actress or the character.

Yep, Bernard Cribbins - for some reason he doesn't quite work in this Dr. Who incarnation for some reason, not to me anyway.....perhaps he's such an icon now I don't see him as anyone other than Bernard Cribbins :D

Not forgetting he was Peter Cushing's Dr. Who side-kick in the 1966 film 'Daleks Invasion Earth: 2150 AD':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks_-_Invasion_Earth_2150_AD

Must have been 7 or 8 when I saw that - I found the Dalek ship over London very scary!!!

Julian.

Qexit
05-04-2008, 05:12 AM
I find Dr Who to be the most entertaining show on TV at the moment. Not much more to say really :D

LW_Will
05-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Ah... the Doctor and companions...

Grew up in the Pertwee / Tom Baker time of the invasion. Every Sunday night on WTTW in Chicago, right after Dave Allen at Large... 10:30pm when you had to get up for work/school? The four episode adventures were okay, but the six? This was for hard core fans alone.

But, yeah, I agree with Jessica, cresshead and the rest... Tom Baker was my Doctor. He will always hold a spot in my heart.

Now, I REALLY like David Tennant. I mean, really really. Last year when they did the Family of Blood story line, that starts 6 of the best Dr Who stories of all time. Truly amazing stuff.

Catherine Tate is a very different dramatic actress than a comedic one. If you get a change to see it, watch RUBIES IN THE MIST (also with Billie Piper) and she does her old woman, but she imbues the performance with subtlety and wit... again a very good job. Billie is quite good as well.

So... I loved the feel of these episodes. It was right back to feeling like a Dr Who episode of old. And, next week... the Doctor has a Daughter!

Great fun! Looking forward to it.

Oh, is anyone watching Sara Jane Adventurers? Like those stories because the feel like an old episode of Who as well.

Qexit
05-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Catherine Tate is a very different dramatic actress than a comedic one. If you get a change to see it, watch RUBIES IN THE MIST (also with Billie Piper) and she does her old woman, but she imbues the performance with subtlety and wit... again a very good job. I've only ever seen Catherine Tate in Doctor Who and I have liked her character so far.She can act and it is refreshing to have an 'old-style' assistant who isn't focussed on whether or not she's going to sleep with the Doctor.

So... I loved the feel of these episodes. It was right back to feeling like a Dr Who episode of old. And, next week... the Doctor has a Daughter!

Great fun! Looking forward to it. Not really a surprise other than how long it has taken them to use the idea. People like me, who were in at the beginning when the show started way back on 23rd November 1963, still remember that one of the original companions, Susan, was the Doctor's granddaughter. So it stands to reason she had a mother and that she would be the Doctor's daughter, or daughter-in-law as he could have had a son :D

Oh, is anyone watching Sara Jane Adventurers? Like those stories because the feel like an old episode of Who as well.I enjoyed the Sarah Jane stories and apparently so did the other viewers as the BBC are making a second series. I just hope they keep K9's appearances in the second series down to a minimum as I really don't like that little tin dog. I really should get round to blowing up the CG model of him I made last year :D

iojabba
05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Doctor Who is probably my favorite TV show ever. I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor. I have fond memories of my dad and I watching it on Saturday nights on PBS.

Don't know if anyone said it or not already, but PBS hed a telethon every year to raise money. They asked for pledges in order to keep your favorite show on the air.

Apparently it was a closely guarded secret that Doctor Who was their "cash cow" by a lard margin. They had everyone scarred that it would get cancelled.

Just thought that it was interesting.

Silverblade
05-04-2008, 06:32 PM
"White afro hair?" sounds like John Pertwee, MY favourite ;)

Man, those ones were scaaaaaary! Sea Devils and Green Death etc, had me quite literally, hiding behind my gran's sofa :thumbsup:

Dr WHo, now...at least the scenery doesn't wobble! hehe.
In one of the John Pertwee stories, Planet of the Daleks? what they had to do to make an army of Daleks, was buy hundreds of toy Daleks and use them, rofl!

Kuzey
05-05-2008, 04:36 AM
"White afro hair?" sounds like John Pertwee, MY favourite ;)

Ahh...sorry about that, I meant Tom Baker but for some reason I remember him with white hair not brown :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Qexit
05-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Ahh...sorry about that, I meant Tom Baker but for some reason I remember him with white hair not brown :thumbsup:

KuzeyYou've probably seen some recent photos of him then. His hair is white now :D

Kuzey
05-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Or subconsciously I like both the third and fourth doctor. But I could have sworn at one time he had white hair..after all he was the doctor for seven years. Then again it could be just me :D

Kuzey

Qexit
05-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Or subconsciously I like both the third and fourth doctor. But I could have sworn at one time he had white hair..after all he was the doctor for seven years. Then again it could be just me :D

KuzeyFunnily enough, he did have white hair for a while in 'The Leisure Hive' after he got aged in a tachyon accelerator for a while :D

LW_Will
05-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Now Tom has white hair. Perhaps you were thinking of Little Britain?

Kuzey
05-06-2008, 06:22 AM
I love Little Britain but didn't know he was on the show until now, he's the narrator. I never connected the voice to the man...go figure :D

I think Qexit is right, that episode must have been so great that it stuck with me :D

Here is a link to the doctors for those not in the know :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:10dr19.jpg

Kuzey

Qexit
05-06-2008, 06:41 AM
I think Qexit is right, that episode must have been so great that it stuck with me :DWhere that particular story is concerned, it's more likely it was so bad you've just never been able to forget it :D Definitely not one of the better Tom Baker stories :thumbsdow

Iain
05-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Tom Baker is a real one off and always resurfaces where you'd least expect him but will he ever top his legless Sea Captain in Blackadder?

Totally over the top but still hilarious.

archijam
05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/30/crochetdalek.jpg

colkai
05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
cunning!

Speedmonk42
05-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Am I crazy or has anyone else heard Doom and Quake sound effects in the new series?

M.A.S.
05-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, I suppose I should first off state that I am a 48 yr old Yank. With a lot of British friends. I suppose that somewhat colours my taste and sense of humour.

And I love Doctor Who.

I was introduced to the show in a rather off way. Back in the '80s, my local Public Broadcasting station carried the show and a friend was an addict. He would insist on watching it every Friday night. My first thought was 'what is this carp?'

What made my experience odd was that they would run entire episodic cycles back to back. If there were 6 eps, they ran all 6 (complete w/ opening and closing creds for each ep in one night.)

Perhaps I was the victim of Whovian saturation bombing.

Perhaps my already 'off' sense of things went into overdrive, but I was soon hooked.

My 'first Doctor' was Tom Baker, but because of that odd programming, When they ran out of eps based on what was available from the BBC, they would jump back and start over.

Never really saw William Hartnell, other than in clips used in one of those 'multiple Doctor' eps.) As to Patrick Troughton, saw a fair bit of him, but had one problem (my fault not his): With that haircut and face he just kept reminding me of a member of 'The Three Stooges.' An act I have no taste for whatsoever. (making me a minority of one amongst American males.)

Enjoyed Pertwee, but got rather tired of UNIT and the Brigadier. I kept wanting the show to get back off Earth.

Liked Peter Davison. He was a bit of a shock to the system after Tom Baker but (as you must with this show) I adjusted.

At first I *hated* Colin Baker. Again, not his fault, but there was something about him that made me feel as if they had calculatedly tried to recreate Baker #1. Again I adjusted.

Then along came Sylvester McCoy. I only saw a few eps before they (we) pulled the plug (the BBC got the bright idea to more than double the cost of the show.) By that time I was one of the main people raising money for our local PBS Station. I can say (however much some may doubt me) that Doctor Who was far and away the most expensive show we were purchasing. The price increase and some additional demands by the BBC made it impossible for us to continue.

Oh, as to McCoy. My brief impression was that this is what you would get if you gave Peter Falk the wrong drugs and gave him a 'Who' script. Don't ask, I can't explain it myself.

I have never seen Paul McGann.

Only last year did the PBS station where I live now start running the 'New Who'. I rather enjoyed Eccleston. I have only seen one David Tennant ep, so judgment is long out. Also thus I have not seen the actress in question.

My take on the series (the original in particular) was that yeah technically speaking it was 'cheesy' in the visuals department. It didn't matter. Yes the most famous villains of all looked (and still do) like giant salt shakers. It didn't matter.

All the sets and all the props were there as simple 'dressing.' Something for people to pick up and move through.

Who has always been about the odd relationships between the recurring characters and their story. Often funny, always off-beat, and sometimes heartfelt.

The lot of us here could make the most photo realistic version of the Doctor ever.

And it would likely be carp because that simply isn't where the shows heart lies.

I have wasted enough of peoples time with my little view.

Peace

Michael

problemchild
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks Michael.

that's how to say it.

and just for the record,

Catherine Tate was genius in a casting decision!

Iain
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes I think you spoke for a lot of us in some of the points you made there Michael.
Great post!

Although I really liked Unit and especially the Brigadier. There was something reassuring but at the same time creepy about that whole set up.

Garyrw
09-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I couldn't stop by a Dr. Who thread like this without leaving a little something to add to it as well :)

Michael indeed had a great post and I have really enjoyed all the Doctors - they are all different in their own ways.

The third doctor was my favorite for a long time, I love the way Pertwee would take stuff apart - I did that too, only not to the same effect! :) The UNIT stories did get a little old, but some where terrific like 'The Mind of Evil' and 'The Daemons'.

Tom is great too many of his stories are among my favorites. But his earlier stuff was better -darker storylines and more serious overtones to it. He was the first doctor I ever saw on TV - they used to loop 'Robot' to 'The Invasion of Time' over and over again - I thought that was all there was! LOL To my eyes even to this day, the first episode of 'The Ribos Operation' looks so much newer since it was such a surprise when I first saw it. Or, maybe that's my eyeglass prescription... :D

Pat Troughton I think is still my favorite though, he was someone you never expected to get out of jams, but he did. I agree that he does look rather Three Stooges, but his episodes really are great and have some good stories. I love the Ice Warriors- awesome creations with a great background story to them!

The new series is great too. I like both Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant in the role, Christopher brought an air of the old Who back and now Tennant is taking it in another direction. I really enjoy it.

But all the Doctors have good stories and I could sit down and watch any of them with no complaints!!

~3DG.

Hopper
09-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Am I crazy or has anyone else heard Doom and Quake sound effects in the new series?
You'd be surprised at how many movies, commercials, tv shows, etc will have sound clips from games. One of the most overused sound effects is the battle scream from StarCraft and the last level cubes from DoomII