PDA

View Full Version : Needing Assistance Exporting... among other things.

WallyGamer
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I need help exporting a scene into JPG format, also is Lightwave 9 compatable with Poser 7? if they are then could you help me? How do you export objects from Lightwave to other programs? oh and I am :newhere:

Tony_R_B
05-04-2008, 03:16 AM
The easiest export mode - in particular if you are using poser is wavefront object (.obj file). File>export in Modler (on the dropdown list)

I'm fairly new too so I haven't done much LW rendering - I think it is in the render panel in layout, but I'm sure someone can correct me.

You will like it here - the group is welcoming to n00bs like us. :thumbsup:

archijam
05-04-2008, 03:56 AM
I need help exporting a scene into JPG format, also is Lightwave 9 compatable with Poser 7? if they are then could you help me? How do you export objects from Lightwave to other programs? oh and I am :newhere:

If you want a jpg, then you most likely want to Render, not export. Export is the term most commonly used when taking 3D information to another 3D program, ie. .lwo to .3ds or .obj ...

.jpg is an image format, so can only store pixel and colour information. This could be used to texture, displace, or bump a 3d object, but will not be a 3d object itself. I have not used poser recently, but I would be surprised if you wanted to render a lightwave object in poser (rather the opposite direction is more common).

What is the end product you are aiming for?

manholoz
05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Lightwave and Poser work together fine. However, things to remember:
1. If your object has uvmapping information, assign a bitmap texture to it's materials in the diffuse channel or you will lose the UV on export
2. The obj export from lightwave does not generate a mtl file with the obj, basically meaning it will not export the material information. There is a free plugin that generates mtl files in
http://www.mikegreen.name/
Go to plugins, then MTL import/export

If you're using Lightwave 9 or above, you could sign for the 9.5 open beta, wich boasts improved obj support (among other things)

And

3. Poser uses a bizarre scale for figures, not metric, not imperial. So don't be surprised if your thingy imports into Poser as a huge thingy.