PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Leaves

Spiderman6
05-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I did a search of the forums and didn't find much help on this one.
In LW 9.3, what would be the best way to animate leaves blowing in the wind? I also would like to include some interaction with the ground, such as one or two leaves hit and sliding along before being picked back up by the wind.

I've tried using a partigon emitter (using HD Instance to copy the leaves) with some wind but then I can't get partigons to interact with the ground like I want.

Maybe I'm going at this all wrong. Would it be better to use actual objects instead of an emitter? What are your thoughts oh wise and virtuous lightwavers?? :help:

JamesCurtis
05-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah you could use actual leaf object and use Wind Dynamics to blow them and a collision ground plane or other object would work as well. You can model fairly simple poly leaves. There was a scene in one of the LW releases which used dynamics, but can't remember which one it was a part of.

Particles can interact with other collision objects, but I've not done much work in this area.

Surrealist.
05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah you can do it. You can even have low poly object for the calculation and link to a higher res leave object for the animation. FX Link I think.

There are some videos by William Vaughn on this stuff at the the top of this section in a sticky (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002).

archijam
05-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Exception did this once .. maybe he'll pipe up.

erikals
05-02-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi, there are some here,

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

type 'leaf' in the 'Search this forum'

should get you 5-6 hits or so...
Howard's top one should have some of the answers you are looking for

Have fun :) I did :)

inkpen3d
05-03-2008, 04:41 AM
If you have the book Inside LightWave 7, this also has a detailed tutorial (starting on page 971) on how to do this using particles and FX_Linker.

[Basically, as the other guys have already said, you add a HVEmitter and a wind controller and set it up so that the particles are blown around as you'd like the final swarm of leaves to be. Then you load up a polygon surfaced with a clip map of a leaf and use FX_Linker to replicate the leaf polygon onto the particles and set up the random rotation of the leaves. You can also set up collision objects, such as the ground, to enhance the effect.]

LightFreeze
05-03-2008, 05:16 AM
If you want nice interaction with the ground I would use clothFX on its own, no particles (http://res0.esnips.com/doc/a279dfe3-77c1-48d8-bcc6-4e340cfdb68b/leaves).

Surrealist.
05-03-2008, 07:13 AM
That looks cool. Great technique. I like the effect of the leaves being soft. It seems much more realistic.

Spiderman6
05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I went with the ClothFx and some Wind and it worked out pretty well. A lot easier than what I was trying to do. Thanks for the help all.

HowardM
05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Cool, lets see it ;)

Spiderman6
05-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Here is my basic object/scene. I don't like the speed of the wind or the motion as it is, I was just trying to set this up to use over and over in scenes so it's real vanilla. Feel free to tweak settings and repost, I'd love to see the effects you get.