PDA

View Full Version : 32 or 64 bit?

RonB
04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Any advantage in going from 32 to 64 bit with rendering etc?

Thanks much,
Ron

ZumoWrestler
04-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Well for one you can have more Ram. That alone would help rendering some. But Vista 64bit isn't worth it I don't think to upgrade, but that wasn't your question. As far as actual render time, ram would be the only advantage that I know of.

You'd have to upgrade your graphic cards (like to a Quadro or the ATI equallity to the Quadro, and actually ATI had a good card to go with lightwave rendering) or get a better CPU.

Hopper
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
You'd have to upgrade your graphic cards (like to a Quadro or the ATI equallity to the Quadro, and actually ATI had a good card to go with lightwave rendering) or get a better CPU.
??? How's that? I'm curious. I run 64bit OS's at work with 8800GTS's and 8600's with the same performance as the 32bit OS's. If I put the GX2 in a 32bit XP Pro box, it has the same performance as the 64 - both screaming fast.

Am I missing something or did I misunderstand your statement?

05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Bigger question for me (the boss just said I can have a new Workstation) is the compatibility for my render farm.
Very urgent - got to order befor I'm off on paternity leave!

If I get a new 64 bit machine and my render farm is all 32 bit am I going to hit incompatibility problems, missmatchinfg renders like we used to get with intell vs. AMD when they used different random calculation?
- I use Butterfly to control the farm & have a rack of 30 nodes + 4 office workstations that are dual render nodes overnight & weekends, so it'll be a long time befor everthing could go to 64 bit?

UnCommonGrafx
05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
The problem with what you describe is that you could easily make a scene in 64bit that won't fit on any of your rendering boxes.
A 64bit workstation, though, would be good. Don't lose sight of the fact that you can run 32bit inside a 64bit environment. In this way, you won't lose all your plugins, too.

05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm searching forums for something definative, but only getting puzzled.
If I only use LW's own 'vanilla' plugins can I save a scene from LW64bit & render it with LW 32bit.
Worst case is NO.
Medium case is, have to open it in 32Bit & redirect things & re-save.
Best case is no problem.
- I get the impression that the problem is just with config files, which would suggest the Medium case.

I'm looking at 64bit for speed in test renders really. at the moment I end up working on 2 machines in parallel so I'm not sitting thumb-twiddling - most of my final renders are arround the 20-30 minute per frame range at the moment.

05-01-2008, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=UnCommonGrafx;694155]The problem with what you describe is that you could easily make a scene in 64bit that won't fit on any of your rendering boxes.
QUOTE]
Yeh, what I'm trying to find out is what that actually means!
- is there a suggestion that 32bit LW could render faster on a 64 bit box because of multithreading & memory handling improvements, or would I be better off using a 32bit server motherboard with shed-loads of processors to do that?

RonB
05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
In a reply to my question on another forum the person states that 64 bit renders Lightwave scenes 3 to 4 times faster than 32 bit...plus as stated here, it easily handles scenes that would crash 32 bit.

I'm going to make the change....

I hope you get it figured out Adrian...

Cheers,
Ron

BigHache
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I think the speeds might depend on what's going on in your scene. I personally have seen about 15-20% render speed increase in 64 vs. 32 on the same machine. Dual channel memory mode added an additional 10% or so.

Does anyone have a server box as their workstation? I'm curious if FB RAM helps that much more over DDR2 or even DDR3.

05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the secondary answers, and yes I REALLY undertstand that 64bit LW will let me create scenes my 32bit render farm can't handle.
But I still REALLY need to know if I create a scene on my 64bit machine that is still within the capacity of my 32bit machines to render, will they be able to open and render it, or will they throw up piles of errors about plugins etc and fail to render anything.
(although I guess I might have some initial problems getting the configs to mach?)
I want the power of the 64 bit to enable me not to spend 1/4 of my working week wating for tests to render, not to enable me to create ever-more complex scenes.

RollerJesus
05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
But I still REALLY need to know if I create a scene on my 64bit machine that is still within the capacity of my 32bit machines to render, will they be able to open and render it, or will they throw up piles of errors about plugins etc and fail to render anything.

Hey man, I have 2 workstations, one is 64 bit the other is 32 bit. I do most of my modeling on my 64 bit machine, but some plugins won't work on my 64 bit machine so I need to open the scene on my 32 bit workstation.

You will have more of a problem if you create a scene on the a 32 bit machines and then try to use plugins that are not available for the 64 bit.

I don't know of any plugins that are 64 bit only so going from 64 to 32 should be fine as long sa you don't exceed the 32 bit memory limits. (as you know)

I hope this helps.

RedBull
05-09-2008, 03:32 AM
In answer to your question LW64 will be NO faster for most every situation, unless as stated above, you hit a RAM limit, where your 32bit scene is needing to page to the swapfile, but the 64bit machine does not. As shown in other threads on this topic I've shown tests that actually have 64bit LW under Vista x64 substantially SLOWER than 32bit LW under a 64bit OS. (especially on the Zbrush-Displacement scene)

I have also shown several areas where LW procedurals do show substantially different renders between scenes and the 64bit version often, if not always tends to render more noise than the 32bit version. Thus being slower than the 32bit render as well as different. This is not good for farm renders either obviously.

Unless you have scenes that constantly hit a 4 - 8Gb of ram, I see the benefits of 64bit platform as minimal at best, if not actually detrimental, ending up costing more time and memory consumption as well as the frustrations with 32/64 bit plugins. Considering your farm situation, I would be thinking twice about a switch at this stage to 64bit.

I've been using both 32/64 since LW 8.3 or 8.5, and lately decided on 32bit as standard on a 64bit OS, because this is the best solution for my needs.
Scenes are exchangable between both programs, there is nothing i guess from installing both, but 32bit tends to be a better bet still at this stage.

clagman
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the secondary answers, and yes I REALLY undertstand that 64bit LW will let me create scenes my 32bit render farm can't handle.
(although I guess I might have some initial problems getting the configs to mach?)
I want the power of the 64 bit to enable me not to spend 1/4 of my working week wating for tests to render, not to enable me to create ever-more complex scenes.

Have several workstations that are 64 and some that are 32 (running XP). Never a problem going from 64 to 32, occasionally a problem going from 32 to 64 because some plugins aren't available for 64 bit. Other than that works with no hitches (aside from the afore mentioned RAM limitation).

I recently rendered a scene with a photoreal earth with some really gigantic textures (some are 15k large) and once you start stacking many 15k textures yessshhh. If you do your own video work the additional RAM also comes in handy. I'll never go back to 32 bit ever.

clagman
05-12-2008, 03:08 PM
In answer to your question LW64 will be NO faster for most every situation, unless as stated above, you hit a RAM limit, where your 32bit scene is needing to page to the swapfile, but the 64bit machine does not. As shown in other threads on this topic I've shown tests that actually have 64bit LW under Vista x64 substantially SLOWER than 32bit LW under a 64bit OS. (especially on the Zbrush-Displacement scene)

I have also shown several areas where LW procedurals do show substantially different renders between scenes and the 64bit version often, if not always tends to render more noise than the 32bit version. Thus being slower than the 32bit render as well as different. This is not good for farm renders either obviously.

Probably a Vista problem. I haven't noticed anything like this working in a mixed 32/64 XP environment.

05-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Thankyou folks, those last few replies tell me what I need to kmow - I'll be back at the grindstone from my paternity leave in a week or so, hopefully with new 64bit machine ready to roll.