PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to export 3ds scenes

chris_h_088
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Is it possible to export 3ds scenes with the materials included into light wave for the liveset generator?

billmi
04-30-2008, 03:21 PM
LW handles 3DS models, but I've never had surface data import properly.

chris_h_088
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
ok thanks

SBowie
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
It would be possible to do the rendering in 3DS, export as layers, and create the LiveSet comp in Aura though, if you have a VT system - or Mirage.

jayestudios
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
How difficult is it to learn lightwave? I am very familiar with 3dsmax and Maya and wanted to convert to using Lightwave for the purpose of creating Virtual Sets with the Live Generator. I'm wondering if there is a quick fix as exporting as 3ds files from 3dsmax and importing them into LW. I'll try to learn enough of Lightwave to do just that until I become familiar in modeling with LW. Our current studio is setup with VT4 and wanted to upgrade to VT5 for the purpose of livesets. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it will be a difficult transition before we go that route.

archijam
05-02-2008, 03:32 PM
If you want to use 3DS, go via Accutrans, usually does a very nice job.

You will need the free MergeTrigonsX plugin (flay.com) to convert coplanar tris back to quads, but that is not a big operation.

OBJ is another good format, as you get keep your model from triangulating (as a 3DS file will force you to).

It may also depend how it is textured, with UVs or globally. There a a few (simple) tricks to the conversion, ie. the model or textures may come in 90 degrees rotated. Some models take 30 seconds to correct, others longer, but it really depends how they were made in the first place ..