PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit finally in production

Steamthrower
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I've been waiting for The Hobbit since 2001...when still in school and a Tolkien nut...hopefully, a decade later we won't be disappointed.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hcPNsiVencXNgPX88IJ_IaxUNpwQ

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

JBT27
04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, it's certainly one (or two :)) to watch out for!

The LOTR trilogy was OK, but I still get a bigger buzz from reading the books, but the films each had some truly memorable sequences and are among my favourite movies.

I'm certainly keen to see what they do with The Hobbit.

Julian.

Steamthrower
04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Read the trilogy 7 times, the Silmarrillion 2 times, and the Hobbit 4 times at least.

Great stuff!

crashnburn
04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Does this mean that the feud with the Tolkien Society has been settled? The last I read was only a couple of months ago and the society were trying to stop the production of The Hobbit due to alleged unpaid royalties.

This news sounds promising as I also heard that the filming had to commence within a given period due to an agreement between New Line and MGM who own the rights to the the story for film.

Also good to see that Del Torro has taken the reigns.:thumbsup:

Steamthrower
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I wasn't so sure about Del Toro, but I'm feeling a little better about it since I've thought about it. I guess I was initially skeptical of The Hobbit being like Blade II or something...scary thought...yet even Jackson went through his B-grade horror phase.

I guess I was rooting for either Jackson to direct...or Alfonso Cuaron.

Am I wrong, or was the feud actually between Jackson and MGM? I didn't think the Tolkien Society had anything to do with it, but I haven't really kept up with it much.

crashnburn
04-30-2008, 11:30 PM
There was a feud between Jackson and New Line over unpaid money from The Fellowship of the Ring, but apparently that was settled. I read in a different article that the Tolkien Society were chasing unpaid money and were trying to block production of The Hobbit until the fees were paid.

inkpen3d
05-01-2008, 04:40 AM
How timely! My 14 year old daughter is currently reading the Hobbit and really enjoying it.

I was blown away by TLOR film trilogy - having read the books several times I was some what wary of seeing the first film when it was released just in case it "corrupted" the mental imagery of the story that I'd built up over the years. I was more than pleasantly surprised by the first and subsequent films. I have to take my proverbial hat off to Peter Jackson for such an excellent and lavish interpretation of the books - thank goodness someone like Disney didn't get there first (earlier incomplete cartoon film adaptation aside)!

I just hope that the film of the Hobbit keeps up the high standard.

Jim_C
05-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Blurb:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/30/people.ianmckellen.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Cageman
05-01-2008, 07:00 AM
I wasn't so sure about Del Toro, but I'm feeling a little better about it since I've thought about it. I guess I was initially skeptical of The Hobbit being like Blade II or something...scary thought...yet even Jackson went through his B-grade horror phase.

Del Toro seems to be a broad director. Yes, he did Blade II as well as Hellboy 1 & 2, but he also did Pans Labyrinth which is very good. I recommend you to see it (if you havn't allready).

Surrealist.
05-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Yes. I enjoyed the film as well

It did win 3 academy awards. (http://www.panslabyrinth.com/) for Cinematography Art Direction and Make up. And that is not only interesting because of the fact that his background is in make up, it in interesting in the way the Guild sort of gives people credit from time to time on one film for what seems like an acknowledgment for a larger body of work.

But I think that what he achieved in this film was a move toward a stronger piece of literary dramatic work. And this in itself may have been what led to him getting a nod. That is just speculation of course.

What made me want to see this film was the fact that he was interviewed by Terry Gross. I really liked what he had to say about his work and his approach to story. I felt as if he had a heart. And I like this in a director. I have tremendous amount respect for a director that can tackle subjects that require some depth. And Pans Labyrinth shows he has this ability.

Lets hope that more of it comes to light in the Hobbit.

blindsided
05-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Although I am a big Peter Jackson fan as well as a Tolkien fan, and while i think Fellowship was a great film, I was less impressed with the second and third parts, Gollum being the highlight of the sequels.....they just seemed too cgi for me, i thought a lot of the drama and and character was lost amid the spectacle. And while I would agree that Del Toro is a gamble, I would hope that Jackson is looking for more of what he did in pans labyrinth and even more so in Devils Backbone, which i still believe is his best film to date, rather than blade 2 or the hellboys. Which seem more his 'fun' movies very much like jacksons' frighteners or braindead. If he can eject the investment of character into the hobbit that he did in his 'civil war' films, i think they could recapture some of the magic of fellowship. And of course good news that mckellen is back as gandalf!

Steamthrower
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I do have a suspicion that there will be a continuity problem concerning Bilbo. You're all familiar with the scene in the trilogy that shows Bilbo grasping for the ring in the tunnels, looking like an old fat man. Now, that's what he was like in the book, but somehow I have a hunch that Bilbo will be played by a different actor...and a much younger actor...

*Pete*
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Read the trilogy 7 times, the Silmarrillion 2 times, and the Hobbit 4 times at least.

Great stuff!

I read the trilogy and the hobbit 3 times, in 3 different languages (it feel different, altough still the same) and i read the silmarillon once..

Tolkien was a genious.:thumbsup:

bobakabob
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Great news about Del Toro. Pan's Labyrinth was a classic. He has a genuinely original vision and will blow everyone away with this.

DogBoy
05-02-2008, 01:29 AM
and let's not forget his other Spanish Civil War movie, the Devils Backbone. He is very good at doing character movies. The Hobbit is in good hands.

Surrealist.
05-02-2008, 04:22 AM
OK, second nod to Devils Backbone here, I am going to have to check it out now.