PDA

View Full Version : Large Scene Files

jonmalexander
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey, I am having an issue where my scene files are now taking forever to save and the scene files end up being like 200 MB! The same scene before was like only a few MB. I think I heard of something like this before and a way to fix it. Seems like LW is writing a lot of unnecessary stuff to the file?

LW 8.5
Mac OSX 10.4.10

Thanks for any help!

Chilton
05-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Hi,

LightWave stores its scenes as plain text files. So you should be able to open it in a text editor and walk through it to see what the extra stuff is.

-Chilton

toby
05-02-2008, 12:58 AM
It's probably multiple copies of a Master plugin like the Scene editor, or Expressions. These get duplicated whenever you do "Load items from scene", but seem to multiply on their own somehow regardless!

If it's expressions, just go to the graph editor and select "clear unused" in the Expressions tab. If it's a Master plugin you'll probably have to do as Chilton suggested, and delete the references to the offending plugin. (save a new version of the file of course) unless you want to remove each one one at a time from the Master plugins panel.

David_CGC
05-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I had this problem with the spreadsheet editor. I ended up with a scene that had inflated itself to a couple of gigabytes in size. Since it was far too large to just chop out the extraneous master handler stuff from the scene in TextEdit, I eventually hit on the idea to remove the relevant plug-ins from their folders. I opened the scene, and then saved it. Since Lightwave couldn't load all the extra garbage with the plug-ins missing, the scene wasn't saved with it and the file size went back down to normal. After that was done, I put the plug-in back where it belonged.

toby
05-05-2008, 02:57 AM
OMG
great idea.
:foreheads