PDA

View Full Version : $1256 super computer

mattclary
04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Wonder if you could use this thing as a render node?

http://www.uberreview.com/2007/09/what-to-do-with-a-microwulf-joel-adams-will-tell-you.htm

clagman
04-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I find some of the suggestion concerning RAM for CPU cycle speed to be ridiculous (balanced system indeed). I'd say it really depends on what the system is being used for. I wish that Intel was using a similar ccNUMA architecture instead of the antiquated bus system we are stuck with (at least until Quickpath comes out). It's funny that Intel is so pissed about having to work with the 64 bit AMD extentions that they refuse to use the hypertransport that is already available and are making their own version.

Oh anyway yes I'm sure you could use it for that. The place I used to work has a Cray filled with Opterons running a type of Linux so I'm sure this thing would be good for use as a network node. The problem is that it is using AMD processors which are slow for running LW. The way LW works, you don't gain much by superfast CPU-CPU-memory connections which is what AMD systems are about rather than raw processor capability.