PDA

View Full Version : NTSC to PAL conversion

ted
04-29-2008, 11:41 PM
I just got an e-mail from a good client of ours that wants to know by tomorrow's session how they can get their four finished video DVD's to play in the United Kingdom, New Zeland, the Netherlands and Chili.

I told her I'll ask the experts tonight. :)
I'm not looking for a hack method like changing the region on their computer or DVD player, but an easy solution for thier clients.
I assume they will need to have it converted to PAL.
If that's correct, do any of you know any LEGIT companies that do this?

I did find this software, Movavi Video Converter, but the client doesn't want a "file" on a DVD their client has to play, they want a video DVD.
This is a good client so they understand this won't be free. :D
Thanks for any info!

Sil3
04-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Any DVD player will be able to play DVDs in PAL or NTSC and TVs will show it, unless they are VERY VERY old.

As long as your client wont put any Region on it there should be no problems.

So making it Region Free is the first step and probably the only needed step, but best be sure about it with simple tests :D

Glendalough
04-30-2008, 05:30 AM
I just got an e-mail from a good client of ours that wants to know by tomorrow's session how they can get their four finished video DVD's to play in the United Kingdom, New Zeland, the Netherlands and Chili.

I told her I'll ask the experts tonight. :)
I'm not looking for a hack method like changing the region on their computer or DVD player, but an easy solution for thier clients.
I assume they will need to have it converted to PAL.
If that's correct, do any of you know any LEGIT companies that do this?

I did find this software, Movavi Video Converter, but the client doesn't want a "file" on a DVD their client has to play, they want a video DVD.
This is a good client so they understand this won't be free. :D
Thanks for any info!

Hi Ted,

I'm over here in the EU zone at present (out of harms way!) and have some experience of NTSC on PAL. As Sil3 says make sure there is no region code restriction and it should be all right.

Sometimes you have to set or change something on the remote to adjust the TV, but people over here watch NTSC stuff all the time. But if stuck it will definitely work (as a DVD disc) on a computer (and probably better quality picture).

Don't think you should convert it as it will degrade, though Pal has less fps it has more pixels. You would really have to go back to the source material to get proper quality, could be big job so make sure they pay for it if this is what they really want. Anyway, this is the depth of my knowledge, sure there are others here who could tell you a lot more!

grey_matters
04-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Why not just burn a set of NTSC and a set of PAL DVDs? Region free is a good idea in general, but has nothing to do with the format and you can never know for sure the equiptment your client uses.