PDA

View Full Version : Poser Pro ?

markschum
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Smith Micro have announced release of Poser Pro, but Lightwave plugin not available , just Collada.

Anyone looking at this for Lightwave , or is there a working Collada importer for Lightwave. ?

cresshead
04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
ask splinegod he's massive fan of poser!:D

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83528

http://afterworld.superchannel.ca/

cresshead
04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
re Collada...that's available in the next point release of lightwave so poser pro WILL link via that.

NAS
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
DAZ Studio
Same content better interface
Collada built in

FREE

We have the original Poser Pro
We bought it as a quick way to do crowds and it was total rubbish
The animation controls where rubbish and so was the lightwave plugin
Maybe better now but i would still always just run DAZ instead f i wanted to use any of the poser content

NAS

Sekhar
04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
For Poser (not Pro) owners, there's a free beta COLLADA plugin on their site - I've used it a bit, seems to work OK. I.e., you don't need Pro for COLLADA.

calilifestyle
04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
For Poser (not Pro) owners, there's a free beta COLLADA plugin on their site - I've used it a bit, seems to work OK. I.e., you don't need Pro for COLLADA.

True, if i recall its beta to show the power of poser pro to come. most likely it will get dropped once poser pro is out. if not thats would be sweet.

Speedmonk42
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
It's shipping?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Speedmonk42
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
DAZ Studio
Same content better interface
Collada built in

FREE

We have the original Poser Pro
We bought it as a quick way to do crowds and it was total rubbish
The animation controls where rubbish and so was the lightwave plugin
Maybe better now but i would still always just run DAZ instead f i wanted to use any of the poser content

NAS

Really... so Daz is a free program and it can import poser models and content directly? No fiddling or weirdness?

Like you can get a base model and add clothes and things like you would in Poser?

Silkrooster
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Yes, it will import just about everything from Poser. Studio only Poses and animates. Note: I have not tested the latest versions of Poser or Studio, so other features may now be available. For example Daz is now promoting subpatching.
Silk

Speedmonk42
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Cool.

I am thinking of buying the G2 Male set from Content Paradise and posing them in Daz, they come with a bunch of clothes too.

I know splinegod warned of very high poly counts.

dudemanguy
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Well a couple of things.
The G2 males are a great deal. There are some isues with Daz Studio though. It's not really free if you want to even get close to the functionality of Poser 7. Many plugins are needed at $10 to $20 a pop with things missing like no strand based hair or cloth simulation. And the main thing, the bending in Daz is not nearly as good. Most of the features they tout are things that Poser uses came to take for granted long about Poser 6.

The Poser Pro Collada exporter is built in and does lights, cameras, rigging, textures, hair, cloth, animation data, morph targets etc.

Network rendering and scene hosting in C4D are solid. I tested them. Hopefully we'll see LW sooner than later.

Cool.

I am thinking of buying the G2 Male set from Content Paradise and posing them in Daz, they come with a bunch of clothes too.

I know splinegod warned of very high poly counts.

safetyman
04-30-2008, 05:52 AM
True, Poser has dynamic cloth, hair (which isn't used by a great majority of poser users anyway because it looks terrible), and rigging. But Daz|Studio is 100% free and as easy to "bend" as Poser -- even easier actually because it has a Maestro-like plugin that allows you to select and pose/animate the figure without having to worry about picking the wrong bodypart -- and you don't pay extra for that.

The newest version has LOD support so you could use many more models in one scene than Poser can without crashing (haven't tried that part yet). The best thing, though, is that you can use just about any content created for Poser within D|S. It has it's drawbacks, sure, but it's one of the best free programs out there and if you don't like it, you didn't pay a dime to try it.

dudemanguy
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
I have seen a lot of great work with the hair and cloth but those were only two examples. (Look on CGSociety for Poser artwork). It may be easy to use the maestro plugin but again why a plugin. And the bending algorythms just aren't as good. Whether using V4 or the G2 body it doesn't matter. I can get more realstic bends in Poser and readily have access to the joint paramters and rigging.

And yes on many many characters in a scene without crashing. Check out the History Channel user story on the Poser web site that uses poser for marching armies. I don't remember the link.

I'm not a "pick it and stick it" kind of user though and D|S is ok for using cheap prebuilt content as it it. But I like my work to look unique. I know that's a huge issue for a lot of people and Poser has gotten a bad rap for this. IMHO because of DAZ's $1.99 prebuilt content business model. Same crap over and over used by thousands of people, 95% of them have no idea how to render in any application.

Rendering is another D|S issue. Last I looked no Ambient Occlusion, subsurface, or HDRI/IBL in the renderman compliant render engine, which by the way Poser has had since V5. The Reyes renderer in Poser is actually pretty good if you approach it right. I tend to integrate my Poser renders with other things via Photoshop or AE.

The list goes on but I do agree, you get what you pay for.

Here's a guy from CGSociety using Poser, much better than anything I can do:

http://www.richardmarchand.com/galleries_Frameset_Illustration.htm

True, Poser has dynamic cloth, hair (which isn't used by a great majority of poser users anyway because it looks terrible), and rigging. But Daz|Studio is 100% free and as easy to "bend" as Poser -- even easier actually because it has a Maestro-like plugin that allows you to select and pose/animate the figure without having to worry about picking the wrong bodypart -- and you don't pay extra for that.

The newest version has LOD support so you could use many more models in one scene than Poser can without crashing (haven't tried that part yet). The best thing, though, is that you can use just about any content created for Poser within D|S. It has it's drawbacks, sure, but it's one of the best free programs out there and if you don't like it, you didn't pay a dime to try it.

safetyman
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
It may be easy to use the maestro plugin but again why a plugin. And the bending algorythms just aren't as good. Whether using V4 or the G2 body it doesn't matter. I can get more realstic bends in Poser and readily have access to the joint paramters and rigging.

Not sure how you get more realistic bends in Poser -- they use the same models and rigging, just a differnet method to accomplish the same task. As for the Maestro-like plugin -- it's actually more like part of the interface -- you don't really see it as a plugin. For example, you don't have to grab a separate tool (as in Poser) to twist versus bend a body part -- you can accomplish this with a simple mouse movement, and you don't have to worry about selecting the wrong part -- which always bugged me about Poser. It also comes with Puppeteer, which is an amazing little animation and posing tool.

If you haven't used D|S in a while, I recommend you see the changes that they have made just in the last few months. Not trying to change your mind or anything. :) It's almost like comparing apples and oranges; I don't think Studio was ever meant to replace Poser, just offer an alternative to those people who don't need to rig characters or use any of the other tools that Studio doesn't have. It was made as a means to pose and render Daz's models, with a few extra tools thrown in to make your life easier.

dudemanguy
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I have used 2.0 many times. And yes that was my point, they use a different method for the same task using the same content. Hence what I see as sub-optimal in D|S.

But I agree it's purpose is different and capabilities are different. I was really responding to what I believe is some misinformation about both apps that began with the post by NAS.

Not sure how you get more realistic bends in Poser -- they use the same models and rigging, just a differnet method to accomplish the same task. As for the Maestro-like plugin -- it's actually more like part of the interface -- you don't really see it as a plugin. For example, you don't have to grab a separate tool (as in Poser) to twist versus bend a body part -- you can accomplish this with a simple mouse movement, and you don't have to worry about selecting the wrong part -- which always bugged me about Poser. It also comes with Puppeteer, which is an amazing little animation and posing tool.

If you haven't used D|S in a while, I recommend you see the changes that they have made just in the last few months. Not trying to change your mind or anything. :) It's almost like comparing apples and oranges; I don't think Studio was ever meant to replace Poser, just offer an alternative to those people who don't need to rig characters or use any of the other tools that Studio doesn't have. It was made as a means to pose and render Daz's models, with a few extra tools thrown in to make your life easier.

cresshead
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I have seen a lot of great work with the hair and cloth but those were only two examples. (Look on CGSociety for Poser artwork). It may be easy to use the maestro plugin but again why a plugin. And the bending algorythms just aren't as good. Whether using V4 or the G2 body it doesn't matter. I can get more realstic bends in Poser and readily have access to the joint paramters and rigging.

And yes on many many characters in a scene without crashing. Check out the History Channel user story on the Poser web site that uses poser for marching armies. I don't remember the link.

I'm not a "pick it and stick it" kind of user though and D|S is ok for using cheap prebuilt content as it it. But I like my work to look unique. I know that's a huge issue for a lot of people and Poser has gotten a bad rap for this. IMHO because of DAZ's $1.99 prebuilt content business model. Same crap over and over used by thousands of people, 95% of them have no idea how to render in any application.

Rendering is another D|S issue. Last I looked no Ambient Occlusion, subsurface, or HDRI/IBL in the renderman compliant render engine, which by the way Poser has had since V5. The Reyes renderer in Poser is actually pretty good if you approach it right. I tend to integrate my Poser renders with other things via Photoshop or AE.

The list goes on but I do agree, you get what you pay for.

Here's a guy from CGSociety using Poser, much better than anything I can do:

http://www.richardmarchand.com/galleries_Frameset_Illustration.htm

what does D/S mean?

safetyman
04-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Daz|Studio

machbeowulf
05-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Received this response from the support folks at Smith Micro re Poser Pro Lightwave plugin:

"The Lightwave plug-in is still under development, but it IS being worked on

At the time of Poser Pro’s release, the PoserFusion Lightwave plug-in is still under development. The Lightwave hosting plug-in will be released as soon as it can be fully developed and tested. It will be provided free of charge to all Poser Po customers."

Speedmonk42
05-02-2008, 12:16 PM
499 seems pretty spenny.

Tony_R_B
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I use both Poser 7 and D/S; main thing to watch with D/S is that the content you want to use will actually work in D/S. Some morphs will not, as they are dependent on Poser functionality.

D/S has a better interface, Poser is more flexible. Poser works better with Carrara 6 than D/S but I expect that will change.

Both have advantages - I tend to stay in Poser more as I know it; warts and all.

Digital Hermit
05-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Just a caveat here... I received and email when questioning them about the animation abilities for LW here is what I got...

> Just wanted to know when the Lightwave version of PoserFusion is
going to be available.
>
> In addition, from what I have read, it seems the animation is
controlled by the Poser 7 application. If so, is there an option to control
poser import naively in the professional application? (i.e. Lightwave)

Hello,

My apologies for the delay - we have experienced a massive backlog ever
since the Christmas season, and are working as quickly as possible to
catch up. Our developers are working on a Lightwave plug-in, but I
have not been given any timeline for when it is expected to be completed.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

As you have noted, animation is indeed controlled in Poser 7 rather
than within the hosting application (Lightwave, in this case). Normally,
how hosting plug-ins work in these cases is that the animation is done
in Poser 7, and if you need to change the animation, you will need to
do it within Poser and reimport it back into Lightwave. You should be
able to use any applicable Lightwave shaders and deformers on the
figures that you import, and those changes will be kept in Lightwave. So
that means is that if you decide that you want to change the animation,
you can do so without losing all of the shaders and deformers information
that you have done in Lightwave - those will be reapplied to the
appropriate figures after reimporting the new animated scene.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Matt
Smith Micro Software

I don't think I like that... but the COLLADA import/export might be the way to go, then you would not have to worry about that their animation solution and just animate the model in LW.