PDA

View Full Version : any ideas for these fish?

wellsichris
07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
hey, i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for my fish, I'm doing a little project were the fish, rise up and talk then flip off the table, the fish still look a little weird to me but i can't figure out what I need to change, any advice would be great,

chris

mega maniac
07-22-2003, 04:39 PM
the eyes seem maybe a little large, and the dark strip across the eyes looks slightly odd, im sure its meant to be there, but still it looks odd, also they dont look quite 'wet' enough, but other than that they are excellent, what i pointed out is minor at most, otherwise they look pretty damn real

oh and do fishes mouths really look like that?

wellsichris
07-22-2003, 04:44 PM
thanks, yeah the dark lines are suppost to be there, I'll work on the wet look, as for fish mouths, depends on the type of fish :)

thanks for the help

mega maniac
07-22-2003, 04:47 PM
well i trout fish, and any fish ive caught have had mouths like a trout, but i think some sea fish are like that???

no problem, i honestly think they are good fish, especially if you are going to animate them, as that will add a fantasy element to it anyway, so them not looking 100% photo real wont matter, but other than that buy fidh for dinner and take a good close look!

arnoldawson
07-22-2003, 05:31 PM
I get the feeling that the picture is a little bit too symmetrical.
Perhaps if the fish were not quite parallel it might help.

riki
07-22-2003, 06:36 PM
They look odd because their both identical clones and the texture on the table is repeating and too uniform. Try adding some other elements to the image. It would look better if you had a few different types of fish to contrast. Something to break it up a bit, make it more interesting.

Nice work though

drclare
07-22-2003, 07:02 PM
I agree. No two fish would be exactly alike like this. Make the shape of one slightly different, make it thinner or something. And modify the texture of one of them slightly. I also think the scale could be a little glossier. Really great work though!!

Hervé
07-23-2003, 01:52 AM
Not bad... first twin fishes....

no this is good, but as stated above, it's too symetrical....

wellsichris
07-23-2003, 09:34 AM
thanks everybody, you all know how it is when you look at something long enough and you know somethings wrong with it but can't figure it out, now that you mention it, it's obvious to me, thanks for the help,

chris

riki
07-24-2003, 05:06 AM
I think it's a common problem with a lot of 3D images. Certain not limited to this pix.

These days when I look at an image I find myself counting the clones.

When you think about it you've only got 3 objects in this image and everything is perfectly aligned and way too clean.

RAZ
07-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Maybe there GM Fish...:) I find it particularly creepy when people build theses human heads that are all the fashion, SYMETRICAL HEADS, FACES AND FISH DO NOT EXIST PEOPLE....IT'S CREEPY....NO..NO..NO....STOP IT NOW, KEEP IT FOR YOUR DARN CARS AND PLANES. Even twins, triplets etc don't have symetrical faces... rant over. Like the fishy model though. I'd maybe improve it by making the fishy more floppy on the dishy to give it some weight, Looks a little rigid at the moment. Make those fish talk, perhaps while in the process of being gutted, a live autopsy if you will :) Nice 1

riki
07-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Maybe look at some classic still lifes and food mags for ideas.

http://www.getty.edu/art/acquisitions/images/chardin_zoom.jpg

Hervé
07-24-2003, 07:19 AM
Hey Riki I like that painting .... but who's the painter, as I can barely read something... it's too small....

Hervé

riki
07-24-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi Herve, it's by Chardin, recently aquired by the Getty Muesum. The only gallery that can afford to buy these priceless European masters :)

http://www.getty.edu/art/acquisitions/chardin.html

Hervé
07-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Like you said Riki, priceless, why am I not a millionaire Riki ?? Why, tell me why ???? GGGrrrr... bouhhouuuhhh (sniff... sniff)

Later...

(even tough I would (be a millionaire), that would not stay for long, cause there is soo many master pieces I am in love with, I can litteraly stare for a lonnnnng time watching .... & crying...)

riki
07-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I spent 8 months travelling around Europe just going from one gallery to the next and I've got to say that there's some really profound work out there that we could all learn from.

Actually one career path I would've loved to have taken, was working as a conservator. I saw guys working in some of the old catherdrals, it must be pretty amazing going to work on those things.

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Like RAZ said, the fish look a little stiff suspended from one side of the dish to the other. You should bend them down a bit in the middle to conform a little better to the place. Also, yes, you should vary the fish a little more.

jb_gfx
07-24-2003, 09:02 PM
A good fish is a dead fish =)

Nice models and textures tho

Hervé
07-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Museum Conservator.... that would have been a cool job for me.... the feeling to walk in the Louvre at night .... alone..... with all those souls..... here we talk about something impressive.... any render cannot compare to those master pieces, there something in it that is just so intense.... a full moment of life, not frozen in time like photography or rendering...

dark_lotus
07-25-2003, 12:21 AM
The texture on the fish looks a tad blurry, whilst everything else is crystal clear,

try adding a depth of field effect (do it in a compositing package rather than lw, to save you time!)