PDA

View Full Version : Permissions Roadblock; need to move LW Project

Johnny
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
I need to move a LW project from one of my macs to another. I keep butting up against permissions issues, and "can't find this or that file" issues.

Here's what I've tried:

drag project folder from Mac A to the Shared folder of Mac B across an ethernet connection.

one of two things happens: either I'm told I don't have enough permissions for some of the items and the transfer is roadblocked or incomplete, or, if it DOES go thru, and I try to open up a scene file to work on it, I get all this noise about "files can't be found" and generally it's pretty snarly and heinous.

I know this is prbly more of a "mac" problem and not really a LW problem, yet I'd appreciate any tips to make this transferring bidness go properly.

thanks for reading; thanks for any help.

J

BeeVee
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
It can be both. If you haven't used the Content Directory properly, you will have trouble, but if you have then it's a Mac thing.

B

Johnny
04-29-2008, 09:43 AM
OK...I am pretty sure I properly used it...I open modeler, tell it where the project is, Quit Modeler, do the same for Layout.

Is there more to it that I should know about and could do?

thanks for any tips

J

eblu
04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
johnny,

content directory:
your content folder should have these subfolders:
Objects <- all of your objects go in here
Images <- all of the images you use go in here
Scenes <- all of the scene files go in here
Motions <- all of your motion files go in here.

if you are referencing images or object or whatever in other places, Layout will invariably not be able to find them.

permissions:
in leopard go to the finder, select the content directory, and get info on it.
set the permissions for the content directory. at the bottom of the permissions block, there is a little gear pulldown. pull that down, and select apply to enclosed items.

good luck.

tvtom
04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Do they not have Content Manager on the Mac version? If so, you should be able to use that (under the File dropdown) and select Export Scene. This will give you one folder with everything referenced in the scene. Then you can copy that folder to your other computer and set that folder as the Content Directory.

eblu
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
oh, they do. I was giving a quick primer on WHY and HOW to do it the right way from the beginning. even if Johnny knows all of this stuff, I felt that its more than fairly important that anybody reading this thread, see something that explains Beevee's comments clearly and as simply as possible.

the content manager is great, it just doesn't condition LWer's to do the right thing.

Johnny
04-29-2008, 12:05 PM
johnny,

content directory:
your content folder should have these subfolders:
Objects <- all of your objects go in here
Images <- all of the images you use go in here
Scenes <- all of the scene files go in here
Motions <- all of your motion files go in here.

if you are referencing images or object or whatever in other places, Layout will invariably not be able to find them.

yeah, that's how I have it set up and have always had it set up; save the Motions folder, which I don't have in this particular scene.

So, I guess the next thing for me to do is to examine what up with the permissions setting on that project folder..

I could have sworn that transferring to the Shared folder on the target machine would make all well, permissions-wise..

guess not!

Johnny

Johnny
04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
and I forgot to say thank you for your responses, too!

Johnny

munky
04-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Johnny,

I'm no expert but before you transfer your project file, you might want to make all of it's folders and files/ sub folders files readable and writable.
You probably know this, but if you don't just do a cmd I to bring up your folders info panel and sharing and permissions is at the bottom. You can then give the folder and its sub folders/files read and write access by all, which hopefully might mean that they copy across with no issues. I can't promise that this will work, but it's worth a go.

regards

Paul

Johnny
04-30-2008, 08:40 AM
basically, changing those permissions did seem to make the xfer go smoothly, except that when I load recent scenes I'd rendered (just to make sure they'd open properly) the pfx file wouldn't load; I'd get a "can't_load" error.

the scene otherwise opened, asking where this or that map was (no problem there, I guess) and rendered a frame.

I did have to use Batchmod to do the permissions-setting; I would get the warning "You don't have enough priveleges" when I clicked Apply to enclosed items in the Get Info Panel..

dunno what up with that; I gave my password...

thanks for the input...I'm hoping this failure to load the pfx file will be it, but I don't know WHY it won't load it, bcs it's right there in the scene folder where it always was!

Johnny

Scazzino
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
the scene otherwise opened, asking where this or that map was (no problem there, I guess) and rendered a frame.

If it's asking for image maps, then it means the current content directory is not set properly or the current (or previous) content directory is not structured properly.

Scazzino
04-30-2008, 09:43 AM
...I'm hoping this failure to load the pfx file will be it, but I don't know WHY it won't load it, bcs it's right there in the scene folder where it always was!

You also need to use the Motions subdirectory if you want them to load properly using the Content directory... otherwise it's using a hardcoded path to the old motion file in the old Scenes folder...

ingo
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
The easiest thing will be if you forget about the crappy Content directory (and the not working content manager) and have the same file/folder structure on both Macs; the content directory should always be your HD on both Macs.

eblu
04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
The easiest thing will be if you forget about the crappy Content directory (and the not working content manager) and have the same file/folder structure on both Macs; the content directory should always be your HD on both Macs.

the content directory should always be your Hard Drive? I have NEVER run into that workflow. it sounds completely insane to me. It would invariably be the cause of serious permission problems. Ingo, don't you mean: should always be ON your local drive. ?

Johnny. learn the Entire Lightwave Content tree structure. Use it. You are obviously missing some subDirectories.

munky
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Jonny,

If your mac ever tells you, you don't have enough privileges or the like, you can enable the "Root user" account. This gives you god like status to chug about through any files and directories that you like changing their access and privileges at will. It also gives you the power to screw things up too, so you have to be careful with it!
Enabling it depends on your version of osx or you can do it with a unix command in the terminal. Your macs help files will tell you how to go about it!

remember, with great power comes great responsibility!
but seriously I hope you get it all fixed

regards

Paul

Johnny
05-01-2008, 04:14 PM
hah..yes, wise words..

when I think of doing some things with the Terminal, it's with a sense of woe and trepidation, sort of like the History Eraser button from Ren and Stimpy.

only with less yelling.

J

ingo
05-02-2008, 12:34 AM
the content directory should always be your Hard Drive? I have NEVER run into that workflow. it sounds completely insane to me. It would invariably be the cause of serious permission problems. Ingo, don't you mean: should always be ON your local drive. ?

My content directory is the highest possible in the folder hierarchy, its the HD name. Then i have one folder containing everything i need for my projects, with subfolders for projects, modells, textures.... and subfolder to structure those folders, and that on both of my Macs. So lets say content directory on Mac1 is Macintosh HD 1 and on Mac2 Macintosh HD 2, both for layout and modeller.

That helps me to easily move projects from one Mac to another, well at least for all programs except LW, which causes always problems.

eblu
05-02-2008, 09:31 AM
ingo.
to each their own.
perhaps I have misunderstood your layout but...
to me your system seems to be a tower of babel prospect, where you are making one monolithic point of failure, and a very difficult hierarchy to back up Or move.

I have a projects directory for all of my various projects. In the Projects directory, I put a new directory on a per project basis. They are named like this: client_projectName
the project directory can then be customized as a content directory with subfolders for Scenes, Images, Objects, etc... (sometimes I don't even touch LW in a project) As well as a Footage directory(for AE), and Output directory, or any other Kind of content that i might need. then, if I need to move a project, its all in one place, but its not tied to any other project, OR hardware. I can back it up in one shot, and it doesn't make any other projects more confusing. the downside, is that you change your content directory often.

I know people who maintain One content directory. in each of the subfolders (Scenes, Images, Objects, etc...) the user puts a new subdirectory for each project he works on. I find this to be distasteful, as it multiplies the work you need to do in order to maintain order, it makes a very difficult process out of backing things up, and can easily get confusing.

I've never heard of a user making the root directory of a drive into the content directory... on the network THAT can lead to problems. But it "shouldn't" under a good organizational effort, add any value to how LW deals with elements. LW likes to use local paths. paths built with the content directory as the starting point. so as long as everything is in its proper directory, in the content directory, then LW will never have trouble finding it. Moving the Content "Should" be a simple copy, and All of the elements "should" be easily found.

the problem crops up when files live Outside of the content directory, or its in the WRONG subdirectory of the content directory. Then LW builds a global Path, and that is MUCH less flexible.
for instance, in your org structure, if you had a Mot file, and it wasn't in the appropriate Motions directory, and you moved it from Mac1 to Mac2, since your "content directory" aka : hard drive, has a different name, LW would be unable to automatically locate that Motion file.
heres LW's interpretation of the path:
on Mac1 its thinks the file is : Macintosh%20HD%201/path_toProjectStuff/wrongSubDirectory/motFile.mot
on Mac2, its STILL going to be looking for the "Macintosh%20HD%201" and that drive does not exist as far as Mac2 is concerned.

global paths are to be avoided. the only way to do that is always ALWAYS put your files in the appropriate structure no matter how esoteric it is. Sometimes however, you CAN'T avoid these global paths. 3rd party plugins might use them, hacked together bits of LW may use them, and you may need to manually fix it... Ingo, I suggest you rename (at the appropriate time, don't do it when you are actually doing work) all of the content drives on each mac to the SAME NAME. That way, the global paths "should" just work.

Johnny, here is a list of the blessed Content directory names:

Scenes
Objects
Images
Envelopes
Motions
Previews
Animations
Surfaces
Nodes
Dynamics
Rigs
Sounds

they can be found And Edited in the Preferences utility window, under the Paths tab.
you Can also generate a new content directory there, with all the sub directories.

ingo
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
heres LW's interpretation of the path:
on Mac1 its thinks the file is : Macintosh%20HD%201/path_toProjectStuff/wrongSubDirectory/motFile.mot
on Mac2, its STILL going to be looking for the "Macintosh%20HD%201" and that drive does not exist as far as Mac2 is concerned.........

Thats wrong, on Mac 1 it looks for Macintosh HD 1/everything/project xy/motFile.mot
on Mac 2 it looks for Macintosh HD 2/everything/project xy/motFile.mot

The problem with working with subfolders like objects, images... in every project folder is that you always have to move your objects and images around, and you have endless copies of the same objects.

eblu
05-02-2008, 04:57 PM
The problem with working with subfolders like objects, images... in every project folder is that you always have to move your objects and images around, and you have endless copies of the same objects.

endless copies? I don't do the same thing over and over again, ingo. the only files I really copy are my invaluable HDR files, which I do happily so that I can protect the originals. For the most part I'm kit-bashing something, or making something new, each object only relevant to a specific project.

feel free to work in any fashion that works for you, but personally, your "structure" gives me the willies. It may work, but you've already said that LW gives you headaches from time to time. I've done A LOT of work with content directories, and yours, like I said, is a new configuration to me. I don't know if its just rare, or I never bumped in to the hundreds of other users that use it... but, there you have it. It is certainly NOT something that newtek suggests.

BigHache
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Don't know if this adds anything or not, I also work in the fashion that eblu has described.

One thing I also have is a General folder within my Content Directory. That General folder contains Images, Object, etc. that may used over and over. I have things like background photos, HDRs, reflection maps, and other entourage elements in the General folder. Maybe that's a little taboo, don't know, but I taught myself LW and this is just what I came up with. This eliminates the multiple copies of files running amuck, amuck, amuck.

Yes, I also change my Content Directory every time I open a new project, which as a Final Cut editor I'm already used to.

When I've moved a project I believe LW has only asked me for the first element it couldn't find, then when it saw the folder structure it saw all the other elements in the Scene.

ingo
05-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Yes, i have a similar thing like the general folder. Since i use many objects and texture maps over and over for any project i put them all in a general folder too (so thats the main difference to your structure, eblu), in my project folder for LW is only the main modell and the scene file.

Same goes for the other programs i use, only that those programs work without such thing like a content directory. I guess these programs are more intelligent and store path names with the full path, or something like that. And other put everything in one huge file, which is nice as long as it works, and horrible if it crashes. :compbeati