PDA

View Full Version : Motion Test

vee
07-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Hey Folks,
I'm trying to work through this motion project.
Tell me what you think.
The file is an mpeg and I probably won't leave it on my site for too long.

www.victorhall.com/pod1.mov

Thanks,
Vee

riki
07-22-2003, 06:31 PM
How big is the file?

vee
07-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Sorry riki,

I think i fixed it .

Vee

drclare
07-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Great job. I especially like the ripplling panels as the bot cuts out the window. I think when he is moving back and forth in the pipe is a little weird though. Maybe he shouldn't do that quite so much. Just a few, more exaggerated times.

Dave3D
07-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Realy like the vid, only thing i dont like is the camera seems to be too locked onto the ripple on the pipe, make it flow it slower.

One question to you, Are the tiles modeled or a bump map??

:D Dave

vee
07-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Dave3d/drclare,

Thanks for the critque. I agree about the timing of the bot thru the pipe.
The tiles are modeled, although i probably could have used a bump map.
Still working on it though, any and all commnets are welcome.

Thanks vee

head worm
07-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Vee,

I thought this was excellent and I wasn't too bothered by the movement through the pipe; I think it conveyed the effort involved in trying to force through.

The only comment I'd made about motion is that a common cinematic cliché when objects collide with hard objects is to overegg the camera shake. I was thinking particularly that when the bot was banging around inside the toilet bowl, a camera jolt for each collision would have accentuated the sense of force reverberating around the room.

Just a thought...

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

Hiraghm
07-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Would have been more appropriate had you used CNN...
The camera did seem a bit jerky as the swelling went through the pipe.

mega maniac
07-26-2003, 12:25 PM
great animation, just one thing that disturbed me was the shadow of the screen, although the image was switching on and off the shadow only becomes translucent when the image stops alltogeather, i think the shadow would be better if it were solid the whole time.

Hieraco
07-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Loved the whole concept, Animation is great and I love the distortion in the pipes. The single human eye mapped onto the robot spins my sences and messes with my (percieved) reality.

How do you sync the sound to the animation? I'm trying to make a cartoon Bee that will fly around to the sound track of "Flight of the bumble bee" for my girlfriend. any tips?

Kppe up the great work

Wade
07-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Great work what kind of time do you have in it so far? Days Weeks Months?

vee
07-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Thanks all for the comments!

Hieraco, I am by no means an expert at animation, but i can tell you that syncing to music is not that difficult. The first thing you want to do is get the bpm (beats per minute) of your music track. But here's the thing your bpm is a count of the quater notes in the track, and most people dance to the half measure. Before things get complicated here is the simple way to do it. Put on your track, get a stop watch or clock play at least two minutes of your track and while its playing snap your finger to the rythym. at the two minute mark (three or four minutes would make it more accurate) count the number of finger snaps during the period. Lets say you have 120 snaps at two minutes. Divide 120 by two, 60, this would be your lets call it "rpm (rythym per minute)". Now you simply put your motion keyframes at 1 per second, and when you drop in the music track it should sync. If you have say 45 "rpm" divide 60/45 you get 1.333 or motion key frames at every 1.3 seconds. By dancing and snaping your finger it doesn't matter if your music is in 4/4 (4 beats per measure) time or a more complex time signature 5/4 (5 beats per measure), like the song "Take Five" by dave brubeck. The only problem is if your song changes its tempo, like say most anything from john coltrane. Also it doesn't matter what frame rate you make your animation just as long as you drop the keframe at the appropriate intervals. Another note: most people (or bumble bees) bob their heads at twice the "rpm" or at the actual bpm rate. Also drop motion keyframes at 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 of your "standard" keyframe rate for intricate movements or x2, x4, x8 if you want him to sweep across the floor in rythym.

Thanks
vee

Wade
07-28-2003, 11:27 AM
:eek: