PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Cartoon character... bites

calilifestyle
04-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Im sorry to say this but it sucks! to put it nicely. i mean some of the video clips end with doing one thing like rigging or modeling and start up with everything done starting a whole different thing. i mean theres alot of things missing. theres even alot of dead air. dude they shoudn't be sell this. Sorry but Steven McPherson tends to ramble about things that really have nothing to do with whats going on.while the things that matter he just moves on. its like so hard for me to explain why its so bad... i'll put it this way. i found my self yelling at the monitor
"saying move on please, show something stop wasting time" and its not slow where you get a well detailed info like Steve Warners' video files. i mean Steve Warner is great in his book and the videos he added. But the intro carton Characters is slow, where there nothing happing. i swear i had to stop and make sure my system didn't freeze up.

here's one item: video 22 ends at rigging the left leg and video 23 starts at layout with bones set up all the way up the right side of the toon . video 10(not sure it maybe me 12-13) ends with making the body, video 11 starts with the whole body, arms, legs made and attached.

How about this. it got to the point where i opened up the videos with VLC media player and set the speed to 4X. in one video i played it at 8X and got it all. seriously its not my fault i tried to be cool headed about it.

calilifestyle
04-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Im sorry but i finished the videos. theres no Animating he only sets up on side an it ends where hes still setting up a damn shoulder.

Thats what i get for buying a dvd made from the chocolate rain guy

Davoid
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Also bought this and have been unable to follow the tutorial, as the sound quality is very poor. I gave up after a watching a couple of the vid's as I spent more time trying to understand what he was saying than following along with the tutorial. Also find the video quality is poor compared to other videos I have purchased from them (purchased the download version).
I e-mailed them about the issues, but have never received a reply.

cresshead
04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
is there a link to this video training?

calilifestyle
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/intro_cartoon_series.php

i know there where some issues between kurv and jonny Gordon's book and i wouldnt have bought it . but when i read this " Steve is also busy updating Jonny Gordon's book on Cartoon Character Creation for LightWave 3D 9." i figured things where fixed.

Steamthrower
04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Man, sorry to hear about that. I'd ask for a refund if they're that bad.

Plug: Taron's organic modeling series is very good. $25 for download. http://gnomonology.com/group/20

Giacomo99
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Steven McPherson tends to ramble about things that really have nothing to do with whats going on.while the things that matter he just moves on. its like so hard for me to explain why its so bad... i'll put it this way. i found my self yelling at the monitor
"saying move on please, show something stop wasting time"

For whatever it's worth: rambling, unfocused narrators are a major problem with most of the Kurv videos--I own several and while they're helpful, I too find myself yelling at the monitor a lot.

I don't want to name names, but it would really be nice if Kurv put a little more effort into the quality of their production.

Kuzey
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Mmmmmm....so Jonny isn't doing the updates for the cartoon creation books...that's interesting in itself. Maybe they should have gotten Proton to do it...better yet a complete new version with new characters etc. Also a DVD would be super cool as he seems to be used to talking in videos :thumbsup:

Kuzey

kurv
04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Guys, I am sorry to hear you don't like the Introduction to Cartoon Character Course.

I am more than willing to work with you on this... we have never had anyone not like our training material and this was our first with Steve McPherson.

We did do our best to make everyone aware these were introductory. They are not designed to be intermediate tutorials. I would have never marketed them as such... and the audio sounds good to me.

Contact me at kurv @ kurvstudios dot com and we will handle your issues for you.

We do NOT want you upset with KURV studios.

Davoid - I dont think we got your email, please send it again...

Jim_C
04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Thats what i get for buying a dvd made from the chocolate rain guy

OK... everyone else let this slide thru.. but I gotta ask....

Cause it's causing me pain....
Chocolate Rain.....

Is it really him? Or LW sarcasm way over my head...

Surrealist.
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I just want to know what connection Tay Zonday has to Steven McPherson. I'll be happy to know that. In my case it might just be ignorance. :)

Hopper
04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I just want to know what connection Tay Zonday has to Steven McPherson. I'll be happy to know that. In my case it might just be ignorance. :)
I was wondering the same thing... :D

Chocolate Rain...
Some use XSI and feel the pain
Chocolate Rain...
If your mesh sux, merge and spin again

Chocolate Rain...
Zoom the camera out and adjust the light
Chocolate Rain...
Press F9 and let it go all night

Chocolate Wave...

:D

Surrealist.
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Funny !

Surrealist.
04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Press F9 and let it go all night

LOL!

archijam
04-30-2008, 01:28 AM
.. and frankly 10 hours for 30 bucks seems a pretty good deal if the content is there.

Perhaps the Gnomonology path is a good idea, where you can download the first part at a fraction of the cost, and decide to go the whole hog then, based on the style and level of teaching, which is always personal.

Wouldn't be the first time I -just didn't like- a teacher .. sometimes a voice alone is enough to drive me crazy :)

Davoid
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
okay Wes, have resent you the emails. One on this subject and one on another mix up of my own doing (both on same reply)

David

JBT27
04-30-2008, 01:22 PM
On the shipping thing, which I know isn't relevant to the thread so sorry for the OT, but it must be coming time when all training can be purchased online AND downloaded within minutes. Sell individual components of tutorials for a few dollars only - like Luxology do.

We get the Kurv emails telling us about new training, and if it was available online we'd be more likely to buy it. But shipping to the UK is a hassle and an expense, and Kurv's UK operation doesn't seem as complete as the US side.

Well segmented tutorials, lots of smaller vids, and download for everything - has to be easier.....doesn't it?

Julian.

kurv
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
I have to say... that I've never had issue with any of the Kurv training CDs or DVDs. I've got over 16 of them and the sound has been perfect and I've learned quite a bit from all of them. Tt was money VERY well-spent. There were a few where I wished they'd gone further than they did, but that's not so much a complaint as it is just wanting more stuff to learn.

I think about the only complaint I've got with Kurv is that their shipping is a little high. :) Other than that...

Thank you sir... we have lowered the shipping in the past 5 months... is it still too high..? :)

kurv
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
On the shipping thing, which I know isn't relevant to the thread so sorry for the OT, but it must be coming time when all training can be purchased online AND downloaded within minutes. Sell individual components of tutorials for a few dollars only - like Luxology do.

We get the Kurv emails telling us about new training, and if it was available online we'd be more likely to buy it. But shipping to the UK is a hassle and an expense, and Kurv's UK operation doesn't seem as complete as the US side.

Well segmented tutorials, lots of smaller vids, and download for everything - has to be easier.....doesn't it?

Julian.

We do sell downloadable items for everything except our bundle deals... they are just too big (3, 4 and 5 Gig).

But we are listening, we tried breaking them up more... into 5 dollar chunks and they did not do well. so we stuck with downloadable whole products.

kurv
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Guys, we are listening, we are working on more cartoon training ATM and it will be out in about two weeks max.

I do apologize if you felt the intro video from Steve McPherson was not up to par... we WILL take care of all of our customers.

Please email me at kurv at kurvstudios dot com and I will let you know what we can do for you. Please do include your order number in the subject.

Also, I am in live classes Tuesday through Thursday so please allow me 24 hours minimum to respond okay :).

Bottom line.

We do not want you feeling ripped off. We all want good training and I honestly feel that our training has been above the market standard 99% of the time. Not every product can be a home run, but we try.

I feel that we can improve in areas and we welcome your feedback. :)

Thank you for taking the time to let us know where you stand and where we stand with you I hope our solution shows you that, again, KURV studios is the best solution for your hard earned money, especially in these difficult times.

Thank you!

calilifestyle
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
thanks Wes for looking out. I have 2 other dvds form you guys and there great. This one just so bad and at the end i felt ticked, to put it nicely. i don't think i'll do the whole email thing thou. But thanks again.