PDA

View Full Version : Changing render resolution

35mm
04-29-2008, 02:34 AM
I really feel stupid having to ask a dumb question like this, but what ever I set the render resolution to in Render Globals, it always renders to 640 x 480. I'm rendering a simple star field animation, and I have the resolution set to the HDTV (1929 x 1080) preset, and multiplier at 100%, no preview, no render display, outputting to an AVI. I press F10, and it starts rendering at 640 x 480!!!! Grrrrrr. I'm having several nagging problems with LW (I'm new to it), and I'm not sure if LW is just dam awkward, or if there is something wrong with my copy, or if it doesn't run right on Vista 64 for some reason. I feel like I got the April Fool version of LW here.

35mm
04-29-2008, 02:58 AM
OK as is often the way, I struggle for days with a problem before asking in the forum, and then seconds after posting, I figure it out! So where is the sense in having the resolution settings in the render globals, if it gets overruled by the options in the camera? I'm having a few problems understanding the logic of LW!

archijam
04-29-2008, 03:17 AM
Think of the Globals as a template, or default.

It would not make sense of the Globals always overruled the camera, otherwise you could not have many cameras rendering to different formats... I often have 2 identically animated cameras that render at different video and print res.

You can also animate the lens angle (with envelopes), to go from perspective to (almost) elevation view within one animation, yet you would hardly want this happening to all cameras at all times.

I agree it is however confusing for those new to LW. Perhaps if could even be 'greyed out' if it doe not currently apply to any cameras ...

I should add I never use it :)

35mm
04-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Yes that's what I mean - it should be greyed out, or have a message "Defined in camera". That would be logical - like most other software I'm used to. Having a setting that does nothing, because it's set somewhere else is not logical. From a newbie's perspective, there is a lot of this anti-logic in LW that you don't find in C4D for example, which surprises me, as LW has been around so long, and therefore should be the most logical. Perhaps there's a mind set I have to get into! :D

archijam
04-29-2008, 04:29 AM
I would say the opposite - it relies on logic too much - and doesn't think for you. Again this is also a backwards compatibility case, supporting older scenes. LW has always been painstakingly backwards compatible, unlike most 3D apps I have used, which has it's obvious pluses and minuses (MAX/VIZ arggggg).

The interface of C4D is IMHO .. how can I say .. idiot proof ;) ? That is another reason why it is (apparently) so fast to pick up compared to all the other apps. They took the tack of making a capable 3D app for non-3D people, and it expanded from there .. and you pay for that too.

35mm
04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Yea ok idiot proof is a fair comment, although user friendly might be more polite. :D And yes, the price hmmm.

Hopper
04-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes that's what I mean - it should be greyed out, or have a message "Defined in camera". That would be logical

That would make sense ... only if you have 1 camera in your scene. Think about it.