PDA

View Full Version : undesireable mesh deformation

grim_d
04-28-2008, 06:43 PM
i am trying to animate a character for an assesment at uni, but i am getting some strange defromations.

you will notice in the first picture the arm are all crumpled up and the 2nd pic speaksfor itself. What has gone wrong here.

Reloading the scene does not fix the problem, i don't what to have to animate again.

thanks.

http://www.apcd53.dsl.pipex.com/deformed.jpg

hrgiger
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM
You have to rest all your bones. Select all the bones and hit r to return them to their rest position.

Jim M
04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
On frame 0

grim_d
04-29-2008, 03:33 AM
tried that but it just returned my mesh to it's undeformed state, i.e arms sticking out parallel to the ground.

Giacomo99
04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Oooh, I hate it when that happens. You might want to try exporting the rig, then re-importing the rig to a new scene, containing just the model. It's often worked for me.

grim_d
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Oooh, I hate it when that happens. You might want to try exporting the rig, then re-importing the rig to a new scene, containing just the model. It's often worked for me.

but i lose my animation if i do that, is there really no way around this?

evenflcw
04-29-2008, 06:59 PM
First of all you left out alot of important information. What happened between the two frames above? Is it just a few frames later? How is animation handled? Is it mocap? IK? FK? Are you sure the animation data is ok? Do you have pivot rotations or positions offset? Are bones the only deformer? Or might you have some displacement modifier applied?

"tried that but it just returned my mesh to it's undeformed state, i.e arms sticking out parallel to the ground."

This tells us you don't seem to know how to rest properly. Also, you don't need to loose any animation to fix this unless the animation data itself is the culprit somehow.

Reresting IS very likely the thing to use here. You just have to do it right. Resting bones binds the mesh to the bones. In order to get it right you have to line up the skeleton with the mesh. So if your mesh is standing in a T pose when no deformation is applied, you have to make the skeleton do a T pose aswell. Only then should you rest.

Resting can be done on any frame (it's just some of the numbskull "integrated" bone tools which have the 0 frame restriction). So as not to corrupt your animation go to frame -10 or something. Toggle off all deformations. Now you can see your meshs "rest" pose. Now just rotate the bones to the same pose so it fits inside the mesh. Select all bones, set a keyframe for all of them and then Record Bone Rest Position.

Surrealist.
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that is a great fix instruction.

Also in the future don't do any posing at frame 0.

Once your rig is set up at frame 0, go back to -10 and Create keyframes for all bones. This gives you a back up in case you accidentally move something at 0.

And also to clarify. When you hit r was it at your rest pose? Or did you actually loose your rest pose in animating? If you still have your rest pose, it should work.

If it does not work at the rest pose, there might be something else.

grim_d
04-30-2008, 02:50 AM
ok that worked, i ididnt know about that little tip. nice of the uni to teach us.

also just so you know they were seperate scenes, in the one with the arms i was just animating away then all of a sudden it did it, for no apparant reason.

in the second i finished animating, saved the scene, when i cam back later and loaded it, it looked like that, thankfully i had already rendered.

why does this happen?

Surrealist.
04-30-2008, 03:06 AM
Well, it happens here a lot. That is on the forum. It may or may not happen to you a lot personally. But it happens here frequently. I don't know why it happens. It has happened to me I think once. But then again. I have not done that much character animation. I don't know if there is a set scenario that is repeatable. I don't know if that is a bug then or just some step you have to remember to do like set keyframes at 0 for everything. It might just be something as simple as that. When I had learned rigging I was taught to set key frames for everything as you go at 0 to be safe.

grim_d
04-30-2008, 03:51 AM
well im glad this is the only character animation i have to do, i don't really like animating and i especially loathe character animation.

stupid lightwave :P

Surrealist.
04-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Really? That's too bad. But there are many areas to get into 3D other than animation if you are interesting in that at all.

grim_d
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
i really enjoy modelling/texturing (that's not my model) but ya got to take the good with the bad.

Surrealist.
05-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Understood. I like modeling. Texturing is not my bag, but I want to do more CA. :)