PDA

View Full Version : Any tutorials on how to composition!

kasigawa
04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Can anyone provide me with some lightwave compositioning tutorials? :lwicon:

I really want to get into making 3D animations photorealistic on actual videos.
:ohmy:

tbennet
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
This is good for beginners ... http://desktopimages.com/index_cards/DI2107.shtml

G M D THREE
04-29-2008, 01:59 AM
This is good for beginners ... http://desktopimages.com/index_cards/DI2107.shtml

ouch, thats cold straight a link to buy this DVD now. lol

But on the other hand kasigawa, hitting up good old google for "cg compositing" or such will get you a better answer than most of the old timer geeks here. Start with the compositing package you are using or planing to do so. Its all about techniques and praxis.

Do your homework dude. ///

NAS
04-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Tim Albee has just done two composoting tutorials at Spinquad
Maybe worth checking those out ;)

NAS

safetyman
04-29-2008, 05:41 AM
NAS -- do you have a link? I can't seem to find them on Spinquad. Are they in the forums section?

NAS
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Part 1 (http://www.spinquad.com/article/story/8)
Part 2 (http://www.spinquad.com/article/story/9)

There ya go

NAS

safetyman
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks!!!

AbnRanger
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM

But on the other hand kasigawa, hitting up good old google for "cg compositing" or such will get you a better answer than most of the old timer geeks here. Start with the compositing package you are using or planing to do so. Its all about techniques and praxis.

Do your homework dude. ///If those are good resources, why not mention it...like someone asking about character modeling tuts, and someone suggesting Taron's DVD...what's wrong with that?

tbennet
04-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Do your homework dude. ///

Can anyone provide me with some lightwave compositioning tutorials?

blow me dude...

JeffrySG
04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
If you're just looking for some great compositing tutorials this site some some great free ones:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html#all_tutorials

G M D THREE
04-30-2008, 09:54 PM
If you're just looking for some great compositing tutorials this site some some great free ones:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html#all_tutorials

Thanx jeff, thats what I am talking about, good and free information.

I am not against buying tutorials I just don't believe that a DVD that cost $60 is worth recommending... I correct myself thats not recommending thats marketing a overpriced product.

if a $100,000,000 hollywood movie on a dvd cost $15, It makes you wonder how much they spend on that tutorial dvd that cost $60?

///

JeffrySG
05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
You got it GMD Three! I'm sorry I missed the last user group meeting! It's been a bit busy here lately. I'm going to try to make the next one, though. :)

AbnRanger
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Simple economics. It costs them X amount to produce or have the DVD produced. A Hollywood DVD will have a built-in audience of quite a bit more than a tutorial DVD set. Hence the tutorials will all cost more.

It's the same with books. You can get a book for $6 that 300 pages or a book for $200 that's 300 pages. What's the difference? The topic and the audience. Most likely that $6 book will be bought by 100's of thousands of people whereas that $200 book may only be bought by a few thousand.

Overpriced? Some are. The Desktop Images, Class on Demand, Gnomon, Digital Tutors and others are almost ALWAYS more expensive than a Hollywood DVD. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're overpriced. I'm glad they make them!

Simple economics.Exactly...put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like it if your clients or employer suddenly took this approach to how much they pay you? You'd throw a fit. Considering the cost of taking a single animation class in college...dvd's are a fraction of that usually. Just because you're a tightwad doesn't mean the authors don't deserve to be compensated for all their hard work..no one OWES you free tutorials. Yet you act as if they do.

Steamthrower
05-02-2008, 08:14 AM
"Overpricing" is really a misnomer.

If a product is expensive, and you buy it, it is not and cannot by definition be overpriced. Apparently it was worth it to you.

I have bought $200 books before. Some people might argue that a $200 book is overpriced. But is it? If I expect to get a return from it, and am willing to pay $200, it is not overpriced. The overpriced books are the $200 ones that do not sell (no one is willing to pay for whatever they'd get, and therefore the book fails miserably).

There is a difference between high-pricing and over-pricing. If I work on some graphics for a company, you better believe that I'm highly priced. But ultimately it's worth it to the client to pay $XXXX for a few Flash animations - making it not overpriced but highly priced.

RollerJesus
05-02-2008, 09:14 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Comp.mov
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Foreground.mov

Hope these help.

archijam
05-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Also found this (http://res0.esnips.com/doc/786b98ef-1a8b-4b01-85de-41b7050c6a19/Syntheyes_Lightwave_2) .. the same user has a few other vids on comping and use with syntheyes or vue ..

G M D THREE
05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Exactly...put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like it if your clients or employer suddenly took this approach to how much they pay you?

I do that every day. Its always me vs. the kid who just figure how to edit in iMovie. haha. Its called competition!

You'd throw a fit. Considering the cost of taking a single animation class in college...dvd's are a fraction of that usually. Just because you're a tightwad doesn't mean the authors don't deserve to be compensated for all their hard work..no one OWES you free tutorials. Yet you act as if they do.

Please don't get me wrong I have big respect for most authors of tutorials, commercial as well as free ones. And I don't think anybody owes me anything.

Just in my assumption if someone asks for advise on the forum is cause they mostly cant afford to buy books and dvd's.

Lets face the fact that tutorials have as a main audience students and people that are trying to break into the industry. Therefor $60 for a dvd tutorial that will be rendered redundant mostly with the next software update of the very software the tutorial is about, is in my perception overpriced.

We figured how to fly to the moon, but somehow we cant figure out how to distribute information worldwide for a affordable price!?

///

G M D THREE
05-04-2008, 10:57 PM
"Overpricing" is really a misnomer.

If a product is expensive, and you buy it, it is not and cannot by definition be overpriced. Apparently it was worth it to you.

See I can afford it, but my intern can't. He is still trying to figure out how he will pay off his student loan once school is over.

I have bought $200 books before. Some people might argue that a $200 book is overpriced. But is it? If I expect to get a return from it, and am willing to pay $200, it is not overpriced. The overpriced books are the $200 ones that do not sell (no one is willing to pay for whatever they'd get, and therefore the book fails miserably).

I am really annoyed by the comparison of software and software related products to things that actually have a material value. I own $200+ graphic design books as well, they are out of print and an collectible item, I can sell them on e-bay tomorrow for at least 80% of there original value. Try selling a book on Photoshop 2.0 secret techniques, or a license of flash 3.0

///

tbennet
05-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Just to add...
Seeing what has been offered up for free, I think that it is worth the $60!
I would not have suggested it if it wasnt still valid info. It is more geared toward the concept of compositing, then the software.
And it is definitely more informative then any of these "free" tutorials that have been posted...

Why dont you buy it for your intern?