PDA

View Full Version : Creating the mouth of a creature?

CMT
04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
I've seen models where the teeth/gums are a separate model from the rest of the creature, but I wasn't sure if it was better or not to do it that way for animation, when the creature will have several shots where it's mouth will be open and snarling kinda like a werewolf.

What's the most common way to create the mouth of a creature for that purpose? Should I create it as all one solid model? Or break it up with the inside mouth/teeth/gums as a separate object?

bobakabob
04-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I always thought it was much easier modelling gums / teeth / tongue seperately as layers and it allows more flexibility getting expressions to look right. The inside of a mouth is likely to be obscured by shadows so the illusion should be maintained.

archijam
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM
... will have several shots where it's mouth will be open and snarling kinda like a werewolf.

I wondered where you were going with those Arnold poses .. ;)

CMT
04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Bob, yeah that was my thinking as well. I just wanted to see if that was the most common way to do it.

I think I'll probably do it that way, and if they for some reason want it all one model, I can just retopo the whole thing in ZBrush.

I wondered where you were going with those Arnold poses .. ;)

Hehe ... naw, Arnold is put on hold for a while. I just got a gig modeling a creature to be animated. This will be the first time I've made a creature for animation and I just wanted some other input on how to approach the mouth area.

bobakabob
04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
CMT,

It's amazing how even a slight positioning of the teeth can completely alter the character of a model so it's good to keep them seperate. Here's a pic of some demonic dentures ;D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/186056146_6346b6ceff.jpg

Surrealist.
04-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Brilliant tip about the teeth. Makes a ton of sense.

sammael
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Interesting topic CMT, I have always modeled the inside mouth as part of the character but as bobakabob pointed out it would probably be prefarable to keep them seperate. I'm trying this method as well with my new character. Thanks guys!

CMT
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I started the mouth as a separate piece, but I went ahead and just asked them which way they preferred me to model it. Haven't heard back, yet.

Prolly shoulda just asked them to begin with, huh? :)

bobakabob
04-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Heh, CGI is all smoke and mirrors in the end. CMT, will you be able to post your progress on the forum? Always good to see more organic character work here. Your last LW -> ZB Conan model was inspiring.

CMT
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, they didn't actually have me sign an NDA agreement. So technically I could. But I imagine they probably want to keep it under wraps anyway until it's almost done. I'd of course love to share the details of this project, but I should wait to make sure it's OK.

I don't imagine that this movie will make the news or anything, it's really kind of a cheesy B movie monster flick (heck, gotta start somewhere, right?). Imagine a werewolf movie... but instead of werewolves, its some other type of lycanthrope.

As soon as I'm sure it's OK, I'll show some stuff.

Chris

bobakabob
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
A B Movie monster? Even better. Sounds like an enjoyable character modelling commission. For inspiration and research, if you've not heard this I recommend a very funny Zappa song 'Cheepnis' from 'Live at the Roxy' (http://www.sweetslyrics.com/345036.FRANK%20ZAPPA%20-%20Cheepnis.html) though Frank is an acquired taste :D

The jelly & paint on the 40 watt bulb
They use when the slime droozle off
The rumples & the wrinkles in the cardboard rock
And the canvas of the cave is too soft

The suits & the hats & the tie's too wide
And too short for the scientist man
The chemistry lady with the roll-away mind
And the monster just ate Japan

Ladies and gentlemen,
The monster,
Which the peasants in this area call FRUNOBULAX
(Apparently a very large poodle dog)
Has just been seen approaching The Power Plant
Bullets can't stop it
Rockets can't stop it
We may have to use NUCLEAR FORCE!

CMT
04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
A B Movie monster? Even better. Sounds like an enjoyable character modelling commission. For inspiration and research, if you've not heard this I recommend a very funny Zappa song 'Cheepnis' from 'Live at the Roxy' (http://www.sweetslyrics.com/345036.FRANK%20ZAPPA%20-%20Cheepnis.html) though Frank is an acquired taste :D

The jelly & paint on the 40 watt bulb
They use when the slime droozle off
The rumples & the wrinkles in the cardboard rock
And the canvas of the cave is too soft

The suits & the hats & the tie's too wide
And too short for the scientist man
The chemistry lady with the roll-away mind
And the monster just ate Japan

Ladies and gentlemen,
The monster,
Which the peasants in this area call FRUNOBULAX
(Apparently a very large poodle dog)
Has just been seen approaching The Power Plant
Bullets can't stop it
Rockets can't stop it
We may have to use NUCLEAR FORCE!

I must admit I haven't listened to much Zappa at all. Though from just reading the lyrics, I can feel the nostalgia of the old monster movies.