PDA

View Full Version : the future of net rendering

meshmaster
07-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever thought about implementing something similar to [email protected] as a network renderer? I've read a few places that the guys that run kazaa and similar p2p networks are thinking of doing something somewhat like this but to a different ends... think what could happen if there was a free network to render on that had millions of nodes where everyone goes in to a queue first in first out type of thing... makes me curious what the future will hold.

neuromancer78
07-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Atcually since I asked a question related to this - yes I have. In fact I am a [email protected] processor since my computer runs idle alot when I am at work. A little while back I thought up a short cartoon series, and in order for someone like me to get this done without spending a few months rendering thousands of frames, I thought "Why not just enlist a bunch of people to render the frames for me?" BUT a few potential problems asrised. One is the LW installation itsself, does NewTek allow this if used commercially? Also who can't just steal the chunks they render on their own machine? Encrypt it? I am not sure it I could program a utility to do that.
But on the other hand that would be a first - the first cartoon rendered over the internet with over 500,000 CPUs of a render farm. Guiness World Record?

Yes I have thought about that very idea, and would love to implement it if I had a programmers brain as opposed to an artists brain. Maybe form a group here and test it out - I would love to be involved with something like that, that would make my day! :)

Any one else?

Limbus
07-23-2003, 01:37 AM
I thought of this as well. If you would let the renderer run with low priority, it would not disturb other programms. But then there is the heavy ram usage of a renderer...

Florian

meshmaster
07-23-2003, 08:58 AM
figuring it out to make it so that the frames divided amoung x amount of computers would divide the work somehow so that it would not interfere with other programs... maybe somehow work in a variable where the people participating on the rendering end could specify that only x amount of ram could be dedicated to the render thread or something...?