PDA

View Full Version : object fading to transparent during animation

turbo
07-22-2003, 01:54 PM
ok.. i've wasted enough time. time to ask for help

I want to create an animated object for use in a game.
The end result will be a cone that appears and fades away when you click the mouse.
Like a direction indicator.

What I've done is create a cone with a texture map applied.
I was thinking if i make a flat object that would pass over the cone during animation it could mask out the cone.

I've tried using a transparent/gradient png for a texture map and that doesn't seem to work.

I've tried various things with layers and gradients and alpha and transparency settings but nothing seems to be the ticket..

Here's a couple of images to give you the idea, kinda..

http://shadow.krabbit.com/turbo/lwsupport/cone1.jpg

http://shadow.krabbit.com/turbo/lwsupport/cone2.jpg

any input appreciated. ty :)

riki
07-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Try 'Object Dissolve' in the Object Properties panel.

turbo
07-23-2003, 10:30 AM
ok, I've had a look in the manual and I've tried some things.. it isn't making sense at all.
Do I have to read the entire thing?

I want to use a method that will be supported in the torque engine. And I don't want to spend a lot of time being distracted by something that will not work for my needs.

Can you point me to a tutorial or tell me in point form how to go about this please? Then I can quickly dismiss it if it is not supported by the Torque dts exporter..

toby
07-24-2003, 03:42 AM
In the properies window under the render tab you'll see "Object Dissolve", click on the E next to it and set your keyframes from 0 to 100 where you want them

Is that what you mean? I don't know anything about game engines

riki
07-24-2003, 05:31 AM
I've mention Object Dissolve already.

turbo
07-24-2003, 08:59 AM
hmmm.. you know.. somehow this does not seem like a logical approach. (envelope/opject properties/dissolve)

Logically it seems a gradient alpha mask of some sort would do it..

My goal is not a lightwave render, its an ingame animation sequence..

*sigh.. trying to concentrate on two many things at once.. I will come back to this when something more logical occurs to me.

thanks for your suggestions, folks..

ChrisS
07-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Completely logical. In object properties, create an envelope (change over time) that goes from 0% dissolve (visible) to 100% dissolve (invisible) over the timefrime desired. It's either object dissolve or transparency in the surface settings. Keep in mind that the OpenGL preview isn't necessarily a true representation of what you'll get for a final output.

Looking at what you were trying, you can't use a seperate object as an alpha mask. Making it visible so as to block the view of the arrow does just that: makes it visible. Making it transparent (or dissolving it) makes the object invisible, but then your arrow is visible to the camera. Your tranparent object doesn't create transparency in objects it covers; the transparent object itself is transparent, like a window. Sounds like you might be confusing 2D techniques with 3D.

I don't know a whole about game engines or what they require. It would behoove you to clue us in as to what it is you need out of LightWave. What sort of format does your game engine need? Perhaps an image sequence to be mapped to an object? If you need a clip map, select "Save Alpha" in the render options. Depending on your needs, you could conceivably output one color image of the arrow, then use the alpha sequence to clip/fade it out. 32Bit options such as TGA or TIFF have the Alpha channel built in, though that's probably too much overhead.

turbo
07-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Torque game engine requires a .dts object which is achieved by exporting a lightwave scene file using the master plugin Torque DTS Exporter.

You are probably correct about me confusing 2D and 3D techniques.

Yes, Tiff and Tga (32bit) use too much overhead. We are using Pngs.

Thank you for a more detailed explanation. I'll let you know what happens.

somnambulance
09-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Looks like this one is over a month old, but I dont know if you figured it out yet.

I was going throught the 3D Game Programing All in One book and I am pritty sure that you have to program the opacity in. I remember programing a fade after a character dies in one of the chapters, you probably have to do it that way.

turbo
09-05-2004, 10:14 AM
yes.. the programmer can do it..