PDA

View Full Version : Taron's 'Secrets of Organic Modelling' - Essential

Matt
04-27-2008, 03:05 PM
I've just bought the download version of Taron's "Secrets of Organic Modelling" (http://gnomonology.com/group/20) and although it has been available for some time now, and I've known about it, and I've always been aware of how skilled Taron is, I've only just decided to buy it, so I realise I'm a bit late to the party as many have already purchased this!

I've only watched the intro chapter so far, but all I can say is WOW! There are some fantastic tips in this, some I was aware of (and use) but some not.

I urge everyone who does any kind of subpatch modeling (not just characters) to buy this. It is without doubt, the single best tutorial for LightWave3D modelling by far!

It reminds you just how powerful LightWave's Modeler is, even only using a few tools.

Simply effortless!

:)

Regards
Matt

bobakabob
04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Agreed, Taron is the Master. He was making utterly unique gothic characters way back in Lightwave 5.5 days both artistically and technically in a league of his own. It's great to see Taron's sponteneity and relaxed style of working.

Good point about Modeler. It might be a bit neglected but it's still a treat to use, a genuine artistic tool.

IMI
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I got that a few weeks ago.
It's amazing the way he gets so much accomplished with so little, so quickly. You could about clear your whole menu and just keep Extend, Move, Collapse, Rotate, Spin Quads... very few tools to accomplish quite a bit.
I watched it all through a couple of times then created my own "Taron" menu tab with just what he recommends and made a full new creature in about an hour. Not a good one, but it was far beyond what I would have gotten just fumbling around on my own and had a good poly flow.

I urge everyone who does any kind of subpatch modeling (not just characters) to buy this. It is without doubt, the single best tutorial for LightWave3D modelling by far!

Agreed!

geothefaust
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
It is darn good, no doubts there. I purchased it when it came out. I've enjoyed watching it a number of times since then.

I really liked watching Taron work. He's got a very unique style and he uses tools (collapse, especially) in a way that I found quite handy.

Hopper
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Sounds very tempting ... :)

IMI
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah, the guy's pretty entertaining and funny too, in a very geeky sort of way. You can tell he's very much enjoying himself as he goes through the steps. Very cool. :)
I've seen alot of video tutorials where it seems the guy doing it would rather be doing something else, or he doesn't explain well enough, or seems stiff and nervous - not so at all with Taron.

cresshead
04-28-2008, 08:43 AM
yeah i bought my dvd version ages back...you've just remeinded me to go back and re watch it!

Titus
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
For $25 bucks I had to buy it.

Steamthrower
04-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, you guys were convincing enough. My credit card is now back in my wallet. Downloading now.

ftown
04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
agreed, great DVD, there was another one by andras kavalecz called LW character modeling
that was real eye opener, it was the reason I stayed with LW's modeler. all organic and a tutorial on using sas lite. it's been long discontinued.

Matt
04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
yeah, the guy's pretty entertaining and funny too

He is, you can tell he genuinely loves what he does, and I like the little noises he makes!

:D

archijam
04-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Matt you are a bad influence on all of us.

(I never know whether to put spaces between the credit card numbers ...)

sammael
04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Ill have to jump on the fanboy bandwagon with this one, best tut DVD I ever purchased. I particularly like how he does the ears, ingenious!

RollerJesus
04-28-2008, 10:19 AM
he puts the tutorial in the cart!

archijam
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
The Gnomon webmaster is going to be as puzzled as the ChaosGroup webmaster was last month .. and all due to mischievous Matt .. ;)

Steamthrower
04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Sweet. Just looked at a few minutes' worth so far. Worth $25 any day.

Nangleator
04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, it's a blast. I particularly love when he goes full screen with the perspective window and just twists his model around and drags at points, and it all becomes more realistic, as if by magic.

My own heads aren't close to his, but it now seems like a matter of practice and reference material. He's obviously practiced enough to make a human head without a b/g image, but I'm not.

And before this, I didn't find spinquads that useful because of the odd shapes that would appear sometimes. Now I know it just means I can merge two quads and get a larger quad. Amazing.

Lito
04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Self: Must resist, must resist, must resist....

Gnomonology: Look at this! Resistance is Futile!

Self: Yes you are correct....here is my payment.

:)

Nangleator
04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh, and how about him going for an hour or so before even thinking of saving the model! And when he realizes it, he STILL doesn't save for another few minutes of work. That's some confidence in himself and in Modeler.

Just following him, I'm on *.v004 with various levels of my horrible character spread out across 8 layers...

cresshead
04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
this is the sort of thing newtek should be bundling with new sales of lightwave and upgrades, as they say 'information is power'...and should have a demo chapter too...to entice people to the delights of lightwave and modeler in particular.

Nangleator
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Yes, just watching Taron work is great marketing for NewTek.

Now that I think of it, just being able to watch some of the masters work, at their normal speed and not tutorial speed, would be a blast.

How about a video of a few different modeling masters rebuilding the same character? That way we'd get to see different approaches to the same problems. And have the character be part organic, part mechanical.

Just daydreaming...

archijam
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Doesn't sound too far-fetched .. what about a 5 min vid showing a cut of 5 modelers styles from past siggraph footage? Great to pick apart and try to work out how their workflow moves ..

colkai
04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Gee thanks Matt, now my credit card takes another hit. :p

irenderlw
04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
This is just what I need at the moment, as I am going to attempt to model the mascot for my Daughters' school football team. A red imp. This will make the job much easier. Thanks for the heads up Matt.:thumbsup:
$$$cha-ching$$$

Titus
04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Taron is funny. I just finished the first part and was laughing a lot: "this is only a preparation but can't stop modeling something... o look... I can't stop modeling, the tutorial will start soon"

Matt
04-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry guys! But for $25 it's worth every penny! Hope I haven't forced too many into buying something they didn't need! (Although I doubt it!)

hrgiger
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Does the $25 buy you a permanent download? I mean, it's not like a time limited thing that goes dead after a while is it?

Steamthrower
04-28-2008, 07:22 PM
You have a week to download.

"We want a smooth flow of the polygons. But look here...there is a break...it looks like an open wound..."

Hilarious guy! He keeps the dull parts lively. Well worth it. I'm loving this, in glorious full-color HD.

RTSchramm
04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I actually bought the DVD some time ago, but it was his modeling techniques that proved to me that a true artist only needs a few tools to perform miracles.

I find it funny that the new generation of 3D users are searching for the 3D application with the "Easy" button, and when you press it -- puff, you have an instant two hour Pixar quality movie. Who needs hard work and practice -- Right?

Taron proves that using just the basics, one can achieve just about anything anyone else can using those advance features of the other 3D packages.

And finally, I believe the most important aspect in modeling is how you go about breaking down a complex model into simpler sub-models. Taron explains this well in the DVD. I would also recommend William Vaughan's videos as well.

Rich

hrgiger
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
You have a week to download.

Thanks for the info. I guess my question though was once you download it, it doesn't expire or there's no kind of DRM protection on it or anything?

Titus
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
No, the videos are simple QT HD sized files, no exotic protection.

Hopper
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Now for the big question ..

Ok Matt, what was your cut? :D

Hmmm .. 1 post... and by my count, 10 people just went and purchased it. Looking for a career in marketing or sales? You seem to be good at it off the cuff.

And yes ... I'm getting it too. I first went and reviewed his video on the main site (Siggraph movies). I would imagine he would be a great guy to just hang out with.

archijam
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess my question though was once you download it, it doesn't expire or there's no kind of DRM protection on it or anything?

The DRM comes in anoalogue form - a frame at the end that asks to please not redistribute.

Matt
04-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Now for the big question ..

Ok Matt, what was your cut? :D

Hmmm .. 1 post... and by my count, 10 people just went and purchased it. Looking for a career in marketing or sales? You seem to be good at it off the cuff.

LOL! No percentage for me, never met Taron (although would love to) I just thought it was that good a tutorial I wanted to shout about it!

Besides, he does mention he'd planned other tutorials (not sure if they will be LightWave) so if it's lucrative for him (although I imagine he's not driven by money, doesn't seem the type) he might do them sooner rather than later, which is a good thing!

archijam
04-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Frankly I think 25 is too cheap, that's the cost of a demo, or 2.5 foamy lattes at starbucks ..

But at that price even an arch-vizzer can't resist :)

colkai
04-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Yup, loved the first part, the speed at which he mucked about to produce the glimmering of something is crazy.
"Um yes, oh, well, this is fun" - Talk about taking out the mystique, mind you, knowing what to do is one thing, being blessed with talent anywhere near Tarons is quite another matter. :D

Matt
04-29-2008, 06:48 AM
The thing I need to get better at is _seeing_ the flow, it's sometimes difficult to visualise where to spin quads or do the collapse polygon trick (which is very clever!)

Taron just _sees_ this intuitively, whereas I don't just yet!

Steamthrower
04-29-2008, 07:14 AM
The polygon collapsing really revolutionized the way I do organic modeling. Previously, gosh, it would take me hours of manually making points and polygons to get a nice flow for a project. Now, holy crap, I don't know how I never figured that out. I still can't make a demon head or whatever just by using three or four tools.

Long way to go.

Nangleator
04-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Taron just _sees_ this intuitively, whereas I don't just yet!
I think that's why he mentions "experimenting" with spinquads to see the effect. (He even pretends he doesn't know what's going to happen, at one point.)

I'm still experimenting, and starting to learn where things will work well and where quads can be merged to simplify things. I'm also slowly learning the art of moving "stars" or 5 poly points around. It's difficult or impossible to kill them, but you can move them around bit by bit.

Also, when I see two stars adjacent to each other (with only one edge connecting them,) I've learned that you can kill one of them. Plainly, it boils down to math. We just have to become more familiar with this form.

*Pete*
04-29-2008, 07:48 AM
No, the videos are simple QT HD sized files, no exotic protection.

perfect...I prefer to reformat tutorial vids and send over to my pda (or what ever they are called..handheld computers) and watch while sitting in the bus or subway and secretly while at work ;)

Matt..thanks for finding Tarons vids..ill order them right away, so that about 11 people so far who you got as new buyers..Im sure you can negotiate a good deal for yourself for your next purhace if you link this page to Taron (or who ever profits from his vids) ;):thumbsup:

greeb1957
04-29-2008, 07:52 AM
i am thinking it would be a good idea for me to get these vids, although i only use two or three tools in my modeling. (Move, Smoothshift, and have symetry turned on.)

greeb1957
04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
my hands can hardly keep up with my head, i just see the object being molded in my head.

Titus
04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
i am thinking it would be a good idea for me to get these vids, although i only use two or three tools in my modeling. (Move, Smoothshift, and have symetry turned on.)

That's the point of this video tutorial. Taron works with four or five tools only.

greeb1957
04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
im sure it would still help me to improve though.

greeb1957
04-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I just model as much as i can..........whats there to animate if you dont first have a model to work with.

cresshead
04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
gnomology is a great way to buy vids...''no shipping''...down the net is cool....just make sure you store your vids in '2' locations in case a hd fails or you wipe the folder by accident [kids]

RollerJesus
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
just make sure you store your vids in '2' locations in case a hd fails or you wipe the folder by accident [kids]

yeah, yeah, just make another post so your count rolls over to 5000 [old timer] :thumbsup:

Qexit
04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
gnomology is a great way to buy vids...''no shipping''...down the net is cool....just make sure you store your vids in '2' locations in case a hd fails or you wipe the folder by accident [kids]Isn't that why someone invented DVD-Rs ? :D I've bought several of Andy Browns tutorials 'from that other place' all for $25 a pop as downloads. They are stored on three different hard drives/PCs and backed up to at least two DVD-Rs. You can never have too many backups...especially when you've paid good money for the originals :thumbsup:

Now can I afford this tutorial...or do I need to eat this week. 12.50p is roughly my weekly budget for food :question:;)

Steamthrower
04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Now can I afford this tutorial...or do I need to eat this week. 12.50p is roughly my weekly budget for food :question:;)

Man, I spend $25 just on lunch for a week. But then again, you're eating British cooking. :D

markschum
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I found the download version a few months ago.

Even just the first section is useful to a beginner modeller.

I do wish he would slow down a bit and explain in more detail why he is doing stuff but its interesting to watch .

hrgiger
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
yeah, yeah, just make another post so your count rolls over to 5000 [old timer] :thumbsup:

Yeah really, what a gratuitous poster!

Hopper
04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, if you consider "lessons" for just about anything these days will be well over $25/hour, if you only get one or two things out of it you will have your return on investment in just a few sessions in the time you save using them.

Going rate for private guitar instruction these days is $40-50/hour, so I guess I'll just do 30 minutes this week... :D

art
05-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I saw Taron's siggraph video and I was impressed back then. I easily parted with $25. Thanks for posting the link.

OOZZEE
05-09-2008, 07:02 AM
just picked this up... cool little tricks to get you going fast....

also, did you check the free section...there are two groups of nice PSD alphas.