PDA

View Full Version : What next?

35mm
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I installed LW 9.3, and installed the content from the content DVD. I've been learning the quirks of LW, and roughly how to get about. However, when I try to open a scene from the sample content directory (which I copied from the DVD to my HDD), half the time I get a warning that a plugin is missing, and the rest of the time (almost), it tells me that it can't find an object, or image etc. In the options I have set the directory path up for the sample directory. The items LW can't find are in fact right there. So what's the issue here? Where do I find and install the missing plugins? And why does LW tell me it can't find things when they are right under it's nose?

bobakabob
04-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Install all the plugins manually... Check out Utilities, Install plugins. You can select a whole bunch at a time so it only takes a few minutes. Make sure when your LW session is ended you click exit and your config file will update so the plugins will load next session.

Strange that all the content doesn't always load perfectly. Must be down to broken associations when the Object and Scene Folders were compiled. A tad annoying. Still it's one way to learn about how files are organised in LW. Once you've found the files you can 'Save as' your scene files as updated versions and they should load perfectly.

35mm
04-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks for that. Quite a lot of the sample scenes report missing plugins when I try to load them, so I assume the plugins are supplied somewhere. Any idea where I should be looking for them. Are LScrips different from plugins as with most other software, or are they also called plugins in lightwave terms?

jpleonard
04-27-2008, 06:01 AM
In modeler or layout you can to to the Utilities tab on the top of the screen. Then find the Plugins section on the left of the screen. Click on the Edit Plugins button. From there choose Scan directory on the pop-up window, and choose the plugins directory. It's in NewTek, Programs, Plugins. That works for me.

35mm
04-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Ah great. "862 plugins found." Slightly more than I expected! :D Thanks

jpleonard
04-27-2008, 06:26 AM
I'm not sure, but you may have to do it in both modeler and layout.

Philbert
04-29-2008, 05:33 AM
When I was in school they told us that plugins have to be loaded it Layout, or at least Layout has to be open at the time that they're loaded, because it's Layout that saves the plugins into the config for both programs.

35mm
04-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks, I loaded the plugins in both modeler and layout, so it should be ok. However, I still get asked for an animation something quicktime (mov) plugin when loading the drunk zombie scene. I don't really get what's going on with the content off the content DVD. There's a lot of broken paths and missing stuff. I can't believe that newtek would screw that up, so I'm left believing it's me screwing something up!

Silkrooster
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
The reason is because you have to tell Lightwave where your content directory is. In layout select Edit>Set content directory or alt-F12. Now browse to where your content is stored, this can be on a cd as well.
What I do is create a directory in the my documents folder called lightwave and create sub directories for Images, objects, scene plus a few others that are not required like animations, etc.
Now I can just point the content directory to Lightwave and it can find the sub directories.
Silk

35mm
04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
The reason is because you have to tell Lightwave where your content directory is. In layout select Edit>Set content directory or alt-F12. Now browse to where your content is stored, this can be on a cd as well.
What I do is create a directory in the my documents folder called lightwave and create sub directories for Images, objects, scene plus a few others that are not required like animations, etc.
Now I can just point the content directory to Lightwave and it can find the sub directories.
Silk
That was the first thing I did after I copied the content directory on the DVD to my hard drive. However, on some scenes and some models I still have to manually locate some files, and some seem to be missing.

Philbert
04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I haven't looked at most of the DVD content, but in my experience some of it wasn't really put together specifically for the DVD and wasn't checked over before the DVD was published. They should have made sure everyone who submitted work for it used the Content Manager to save out the scene and everything associated with it into a new folder. It looked to me as if some submitters just took whatever folder setup they had on their own computers and sent it in to NewTek. Still, it's nice to have the content to look at at all.