PDA

View Full Version : News Desk???

oufan_DJ
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
:help: I'm starting up a broadcasting class at my high school next year, and I have everything except for a news desk and set. I don't want to spend a whole lot on it, but I want it to look nice. Any ideas? If I could just find a news desk, then we can get by until the next year for a whole set.:help:

oufan_DJ
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
anyone???

IMI
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Why not try contacting your local TV news stations. You never know, someone might look at it as a possibility to do something good for their community to donate stuff to your school, not to mention good publicity for them.
Or maybe a local station could give you some free publicity that you need stuff for your class and have a fund raiser or ask for donations. Couldn't hurt.
I have a coffee table you could have, but I don't think it'd look too good on your set. ;)

Quiet1onTheSet
04-27-2008, 05:31 PM
:help: I'm starting up a broadcasting class at my high school next year, and I have everything except for a news desk and set. I don't want to spend a whole lot on it, but I want it to look nice. Any ideas? If I could just find a news desk, then we can get by until the next year for a whole set.:help:I heartily recommend you visit your local IKEA furniture store, but go check out the space there, that's likely one of its best-kept secrets:

The "As-Is" room!

You'll be amazed what incredible options lurk (if you've got a creative eye), when assembling some neat finds in that space, providing you discounts of from about $30% to 60% off -- when planning a "soundstage" for recording/broadcasting/webstreaming!

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
I heartily recommend you visit your local IKEA furniture store, but go check out the space there, that's likely one of its best-kept secrets:

The "As-Is" room... You'll be amazed what incredible [cost-effective] options lurk (if you've got a creative eye), ...when planning a "soundstage" for recording/broadcasting/webstreaming!Q1

Bump
Case in point: In recent days, just outside the As-Is room at IKEA Furniture Showrooms in our area, is a product stacked by the boatload, called SOKNA.

SOKNA is a corrugated, fiber-coated, somewhat flexible, 6 Ft x 2 Ft x 2 inch device sold as a "headboard" that actually mounts on the wall, that were originally retailing at a ridiculously-high $39 USD and later at $25 USD.

Place these on your walls as makeshift sound absorption/sound dispersion panels -- that look great, are extremely easy to hang (they include mounting hardware) and now they're on the cheap. Even so, the quality of sound treatment afforded by these puppies will amaze.

For a quick look, go here:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00123713
Q1

prospector
07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
If they are going into broadcasting or learning about it, maby a VT5 as the sets come with it (virtual), and you can make others to suit your needs.
This will also teach them about real studios, with the greenscreens and all.
Becomes cheap when you figure all the equipment you can replace with virtual stuff.