Skipping First n-Frames
LW Basic Fog Support
The new Mac and Win64 versions
Various bug fixes

http://www.cantarcan.com/v12/index.html

toby
04-26-2008, 12:16 PM
That's *awesome* Cohen!
I appreciate the Mac ver., and I know lots of people will love the 64 bit too.

monovich
04-26-2008, 12:21 PM
wow. out of nowhere! thanks!

Thomas M.
04-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Mmmh, quite a lot of money for a product which seems to get almost no updates in a long time and with only very limited support. I tried the free version and it was dog slow. HVs were actually faster for my purposes. Is there a speed increase with the update or how do I feel a difference between old and new version? The results look great so far.

Cheers
Thomas

jasonwestmas
04-27-2008, 11:45 AM
The real power is in the fluid fire dynamics imo. That's something unique that is not really available for lw yet.

eyelandarts
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
thanks Cohen! This one is way more stable on really heavy calculations.

sadkkf
04-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Lots of people at cgtalk seem to have problems:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=625007

I own an earlier version. Can I just d/l the new one or do I need to purchase an upgrade?

jasonwestmas
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
upgrade is free.

Phil
04-30-2008, 01:48 AM
No issues here - 1.2 is allowing me to render a lot of material that I couldn't get working with previous builds. The cache compression has also allowed a much finer voxel setting than before. I'll have to send Can some images....

eyelandarts
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
hey Phil, yeah, same here. things that were just impossible are now very stable. It might just be a demo issue

alvin_cgi
05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
So… worth to put money on it? :grumpy:
I have tried demo abit (not heavy scene) and seem pretty stable... few crashes only but still slow on 4 cores, is Dynamite use all cores??

Looks like this is only one available for LW, apart from developer “not” really support it… hard decision, sigh…:question:

Bog
05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Works with nine point fi... er, three! Just fine and dandy in sixty-four bits of powerdrive goodness.

Bring the fire. Bring the storm. Thank you, Can Tarcan.

Digital Hermit
05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Works with nine point fi... er, three! Just fine and dandy in sixty-four bits of powerdrive goodness.

Bring the fire. Bring the storm. Thank you, Can Tarcan.

We need to see some more Dynamite Bog tests.... :gotpics:

:D

Digital Hermit
05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Oops, Bog, I also meant animations... I found Can Tarcan's documentation for 1.2 is pretty impressive.

:)

alvin_cgi
05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
...ok, I will give it a go...:grumpy:

chromatic
05-03-2008, 04:51 AM
I love the update and indeed docs are pretty good. I'm currently testing the fluid part of Dynamite on a burning house. There are some issues but so far it seems to go well.

Bog
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Couple of solar coronal mass emissions in Dynamite - just cardinal angles as I'm in the throes of setting it up (read: been dicking around for half an hour).

I love this thing.

jasonwestmas
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah at lest Dynamite works well and looks good. Looks fun Bog :) Is that spikey aura around that sphere dynamite too?

Bog
05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
I should point out that my quad-core 3GHz, running with .08 Adaptive, nailed those 1080 frames in well under a minute each. Dynamite is fast!

Nah, the shiny rays on the sun are an AE trick. I'd rendered out an alpha pass of my sun object, with just the highest bits, and used that as an Alpha for the sun itself, to which I'd applied Radial Blur in After Effects in Zoom mode on a copy of the sun without the Dynamite prominess.. promenesc... pro... squirty bit.

Works quite well, don't'cha think?

NAS
05-20-2008, 03:38 PM
from developer “not” really support it… hard decision, sigh…:question:

That statement really doesnt make sense to me ?
He makes a new release and a week later you say the dev isn't really supporting it hmmmmmmmmm
OK

NAS

prometheus
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Couple of solar coronal mass emissions in Dynamite - just cardinal angles as I'm in the throes of setting it up (read: been dicking around for half an hour).

I love this thing.

He..he..You might wanna check this thread if you haven´t seen it, it´s not
dynamite but dealing with solar flares, My name at spinquad is Phamarus.

some test renders of solarbody and simple hypervoxels to give a little flare edge and the guy who wanted some tips are showing a little animated clip at page 2.
I wonder what kind of movie he did it for, he mentioned that the director had
directed one or two big effects movie?

Maybe a you can try a blend of dynamite and hypervoxels.

Michael

Bog
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
That statement really doesnt make sense to me ?
He makes a new release and a week later you say the dev isn't really supporting it hmmmmmmmmm
OK

NAS

Nas,

Can, the guy who writes Dynamite, went really dark, not responding to emails or comminiques - he basically dropped off the grid. A lot of us were really worried, and there was a Bit of a Thing about it. After a month or two of booting about the issue of Dynamite being alive or dead, Mr. Tarcan gave us 1.2 and a bit of docs. Nothing else, no replies to email or anything.

But the thing is, 1.2 (and the 64-bit version I'm rolling around in like a pig in poopoo) is absolutely rockin'. Rock-solid, goes like a freight train, and delivers the goods solidly enough to use in a studio environment with one's professional neck on the block.

I don't need anything but a product that delivers repeatably. Sounds like you don't, either :)

jasonwestmas
05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Works quite well, don't'cha think?

Yeah I think it looks really good. Glad to hear things are working themselves out with this plugin.

prometheus
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeezz I forgot the thread link..

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21732

Michael

Bog
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Wow! Prometheus, I assume you're Pharmus on SQ - that's brilliant! That's exactly the surface-active detail I want to add. You deity you. Any chance of sharing a few settings for a brother with a deadline?

*edit* Oh, you did. You marvel. I'll have to try those tomorrow, as it's 23:plus some and I'm rasterburned to hell right now... I'll post results tomorrow!

NAS
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't need anything but a product that delivers repeatably. Sounds like you don't, either :)

Yeah i just get the feeling the Internet has in recent years spoilt people
They expect all devs to be around all the time when in reality nobody can especially when this isn't there main business
I'm just happy that stuff like this is still getting released and being supported by new releases

I would much rather plugins being updated than a dev hanging around saying how great the new stuff is gonna be and then not delivering
There are sooooooooo many promising plugins for lightwave that simply arent being updated anymore
Luckily this is

NAS

prometheus
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow! Prometheus, I assume you're Pharmus on SQ - that's brilliant! That's exactly the surface-active detail I want to add. You deity you. Any chance of sharing a few settings for a brother with a deadline?

Yeah I´m phamarus on spinquad sorry for my confused state of mind at the
time:)

Preset Sure ..what do you get paid for your deadline? :)

have to check it up..late night now in sweden and up early in the morning.
exactly which one of the surfaces are you looking for, copy and paste
that image in your next post if you can ..and I´ll check it up.

Michael

alvin_cgi
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
You miss the point, nobody ask developer be around all the time, perhaps you should read what are the people complains about and that will make sense to you.

Alvin

Yeah i just get the feeling the Internet has in recent years spoilt people
They expect all devs to be around all the time when in reality nobody can especially when this isn't there main business
I'm just happy that stuff like this is still getting released and being supported by new releases

I would much rather plugins being updated than a dev hanging around saying how great the new stuff is gonna be and then not delivering
There are sooooooooo many promising plugins for lightwave that simply arent being updated anymore
Luckily this is

NAS

Bog
05-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Pthooom... (20 mb)

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/clients/Orca/SunVol.mov

Yay.

Michael, if you require compensation for assistance with this, please PM me.

Mark

NAS
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
You miss the point, nobody ask developer be around all the time, perhaps you should read what are the people complains about and that will make sense to you.

Alvin

No in reality i dont miss the point
You said "The dev doesn't really support it" about a week after a new release
How have i misunderstood that ?

Yes it would be better if he answered emails but at least it is being updated
People can complain all they want about the non responsive dev but i stand by my statement
I would much prefer updates than replies to emails
He updated the software and that is that
That is support
I'm not saying he has the best customer service in the world but he has updated the software

Damn how many Lightwave plugins have you bought with promises of big thinsg and great replies from the dev only for them to disappear into the wilderness and the plugins to never get updated

NAS

Bog
05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Yo. *waves* Banking a good chunk of change off this. I've told Can that he can have more money if he wants it, he has only to ask. I love that guy, take a bullet for him. He's making me plenty, and it works like a dream. And it's fun. What, you want him to post on your blog?

Bog
05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Damn how many Lightwave plugins have you bought with promises of big thinsg and great replies from the dev only for them to disappear into the wilderness and the plugins to never get updated

NAS

Lessee...
Wobbler
ParticleStorm, or Napalm as it became.
That gunfire one.

*taps finger against fingertip* Gorram it, what was it called....
SuperGlow! Damn it! Did field-rendering and z-fade and all.
All paid for so far.
Oh yeah, Shave and a Haircut
Lipservice
(though arguably not actually Joe Alter's fault, and also arguably not NewTek's, but let's just not argue - NT know where Joe's living, he knows where they are, maybe someday they'll sort it out)
Frak me, PuppetMaster - I forgot that one
There are a few thousand pounds worth of plugins in there, all told - many
I've forgotten.

Most of 'em made at least some of their cost-money back. Some of 'em made me good pennies. Dynamite's already paid for itself at least a hundredfold, no sweat-de-da. Hell, Worley went a whole year without updating his site - but FPrime was making me money all that time. Yeah, it's nervous-making and discomfiting, but what can you do? We're mostly only one person, mostly just trying to live life an OK way. When all you guys have the time to email me every single damn day to ask how I'm doing, and I have time to write back, I'll be on a boat in the Caribbean and will just send you pictures of the girls rubbing tanning lotion into me.

If a plugin lets me have fun and do beautiful things, and works with the software I'm currently using, then I have no complaints. Now that Dynamite is 64-bit and multithreading, it'll be some significant time before I have a major whinge about it. It's lovely. It's easy. It's fun. It's current.

If that's not enough for you, maybe you should try an easier profession like neurosurgery or plasma physics.

NAS
05-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Well you seem to be agreeing with me so i assume the last line isn't for me hahahahah

NAS

Bog
05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Well you seem to be agreeing with me so i assume the last line isn't for me hahahahah

NAS

Nah, I'm shooting clean over your shoulder at the other guy.

alvin_cgi
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM

I said “not" in quote, doesn’t mean it is “NOT” support it, my statement was based on what happen previously after he went disappeared a while, people are wondering around, rumors… I said because I am planning to buy it, I said that about a week after a new release and I still say that today.

People can complain all they want about the non responsive dev but i stand by my statement
Well, it would be better if he can email at least once in a while, but it was not the case, and i stand by my statement too.

And I would much prefer updates and replies emails both.

That is support
I'm not saying he has the best customer service in the world but he has updated the software
Agree...

Yes, there are many, I really hopes Dynamic not the anther one because it is a great plugin.

Alvin

That is support

NAS

toby
05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
You both have a valid point. Some people are never satisfied; "This software's *great*... but JEEZ, why can't you double it's power and it's features while answering emails all day??" - but I don't think alvin_cgi was whining like the others. One has to decide if the software is good enough to buy even without the support of a big company.

Phil
05-21-2008, 01:04 AM
ParticleStorm, or Napalm as it became.

Should still work, according to DR. I've been trying to persuade DR to make a port for UB LW without success. The plugin market is so weak that they don't seem to think it would pay off. I'd encourage people to poke them about this as well via contact (at) dynamic-realities.com. Dave Vrba is now contracted to NewTek, so hopefully that means good things for LW10 or something.

That gunfire one.

Tracer? (Part of one of the Worley plugin collections). It's on the way - some LW issues appear to have delayed things, but these seem to be resolved from what my little bird tells me

*taps finger against fingertip* Gorram it, what was it called....
SuperGlow! Damn it! Did field-rendering and z-fade and all.

SuperGlow 2. Yes, my greatly missed solution to exporting texture-level masks for all kinds of things. It died with one of the 9.0 betas and after going through a *lot* of back and forth between Pontari and NewTek, Pontari got example code to achieve what they were doing before. Not that an update surfaced, though. Exporting these kind of masks is now much, much more tedious than it should be.

SG2 was always heavily reliant on the legacy plugins to make it work, largely because updating the code to work with the post-6.0 SDK was too much effort for too little return. That said, Matthew had plans to make SG3 available. These seem to have come to nothing, though, and SG2 is now off-the-market because of its broken state.

SG3 would potentially have brought a UB Mac version as well, so I'm doubly sad. I try and poke Pontari from time to time, but so far without success. He's refused to open source it because of some concern over piracy....which I don't fully understand.

Oh yeah, Shave and a Haircut
Lipservice
(though arguably not actually Joe Alter's fault, and also arguably not NewTek's, but let's just not argue - NT know where Joe's living, he knows where they are, maybe someday they'll sort it out)

Too much bad blood there. Joe is quite happy to ignore LW and NewTek for all time, I think.

If a plugin lets me have fun and do beautiful things, and works with the software I'm currently using, then I have no complaints. Now that Dynamite is 64-bit and multithreading, it'll be some significant time before I have a major whinge about it. It's lovely. It's easy. It's fun. It's current.

Multithreaded simulation is on the cards as well. The real killer feature of Dynamite 1.2 has to be the cache compression though - that's enabled stuff I couldn't possibly have dreamed of before.

bandito
05-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Hi Guys,

I've paid for a copy of this software but the company have not yet supplied me a serial. They keep asking for my win dongle I.D, I send them my product lock and that's not what they want....where the heck do I find out my win dongle I.D any help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Phil
05-21-2008, 05:41 AM
The dongle ID should be visible on your account page at register.newtek.com

Bog
05-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi Guys,

I've paid for a copy of this software but the company have not yet supplied me a serial. They keep asking for my win dongle I.D, I send them my product lock and that's not what they want....where the heck do I find out my win dongle I.D any help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers!

One easy way: In the Dynamite interface, click "config" in the top strip (blue buttons on a light blue background, yellow "dynamite" button on the right).

Click on "Product Registration" at the bottom of the Config panel. That'll bring up a dialogue box which should show your dongle ID. There are other ways, but that one'll do ya.

starbase1
05-21-2008, 06:20 AM

I love this thing.

That's pretty cool...

Minor sugestions:
Smaller granulation cells would be miore accurate.
Not sure about the greenish bit!

Bog
05-21-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm just processing a new solution with smaller cells now.

Workflow thing, that - get the solution in the right ballpark with tolerable sized cells (roughly the diametre of Mercury in this case ;) ) then re-calc with a finer grain later on.

Might add some pixie dust in the plume as well, see how it goes....

creativecontrol
05-21-2008, 08:06 AM
I was just testing the lite version and was really excited with how it was working. Looking great!!! Then CRASH! Now it always crashes, I can't render anything with it.

Anyone else had this? Any suggestions?

Bog
05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
I was just testing the lite version and was really excited with how it was working. Looking great!!! Then CRASH! Now it always crashes, I can't render anything with it.

Anyone else had this? Any suggestions?

Not even once. Scene re-loading is wonky in *ahem* Versions Over 9.3.1 - but I've never crashed it in 9.3.1 a-tall, purrs like a kitten. Then again, I've been using it solidly in Liquid mode, rather than Particle mode - I don't know if that makes a difference.

Phil
05-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Not even once. Scene re-loading is wonky in *ahem* Versions Over 9.3.1 - but I've never crashed it in 9.3.1 a-tall, purrs like a kitten. Then again, I've been using it solidly in Liquid mode, rather than Particle mode - I don't know if that makes a difference.

The problem occurs also in particle mode. Not that I'd know of course. Nope. :D

prometheus
05-21-2008, 10:49 AM

it crashes with particles all the time, not with the older demos thou they seem ok.

by the way, check your private messages soon Bog, I have a scenefile for you.

Michael

Bog
05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
it crashes with particles all the time, not with the older demos thou they seem ok.

by the way, check your private messages soon Bog, I have a scenefile for you.

Michael

Ahhh, thanks buddy! Before I check that (so you know I'm not just copying!) here's a render from earlier today.

D'you know, I think that if I keep practising, eat my greeens and submit my brain to frequent, regular pummelling then in another five or ten years I might rate as Competent with this 'ere 3D malarky...

prometheus
05-21-2008, 11:03 AM
You are getting there..heres a sample pic of the scenefile I would send you.

particles and voxels included.

Michael

starbase1
05-21-2008, 04:21 PM
You are getting there..heres a sample pic of the scenefile I would send you.

particles and voxels included.

Michael

Ooh, now that's cool too!
Could I see the scene too please?
:angel:

starbase1
05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
And this astro pic of the day came up on the IAAA list today:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

That lady has some awesome work, and is seriously good at big suns and melty landscapes.

Nick

Bog
05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Righty ho my dears, I've hit deadline on this bit of my gig, and we're not doing the magnetic loop thingies - but thanks a bundle for pointing me in the right direction and stuff - I'll stick an animation up in the Finished Work thing when it's thinged thingily. Actually, my deadline's tomorrow, but they've decided they want a curtain-type prominthingy rather than a spout-type one, so I shall be spending my time twiddling my sim.

So, yeah - Dynamite. It's the Shizzle. It lets me say my very favourite thing to a client:

"Yep! No problem, I can do that for you."

prometheus
05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Ooh, now that's cool too!
Could I see the scene too please?
:angel:

Well the scenefile I posted to him was under an agreement, for a job he had to do, so I won´t post it here for the moment.

yeah that space art sun looks nice, however I guess it´s mostly a still image and probably photoshop, nothing wrong with that if it´s for still artwork.

Using liquify or the smudge tool and the dodge tool on highlight will certainly
give nice flares if strokes are drawn properly, a different story thou to make
it directly in Lightwave, Dynamite might be able to give nice flares, cant really
test it properly since I only have the demo.

otherwise mixing it in after effects with smudge or liquify will do, perhaps
the flame plugin could work out to.

or just set up a load of particles and some donut winds or vortex.

Michael

creativecontrol
05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I've been testing the lite version on some scenes that I used hypervoxels for before. It's hard to compare exactly but in a very similar scene it's orders of magnitude faster than hypervoxels, and looks better. This is GREAT...BUT....

When I tried to use particles it crashed hard and now it is totally screwed. It won't render anything at all without crashing. I've removed it and re-installed it several times but no go! I had to put it on a different computer. Now I'm scared to touch particles. This is a serious show stopper.

I'm still trying to find a way to get it running again on my main comp. :(

Phil
05-22-2008, 09:15 AM
There is a dynamite*.cfg file and a dynamite*.dtc created, at least for the pro version. I'm not sure where they get created, though. I wonder what would happen if you nuked those (assuming a quick search in Vista turns them up for you)

The *s above are wildcards - I cannot remember if there is anything in terms of version number or similar involved.

creativecontrol
05-22-2008, 10:37 AM
There is a dynamite*.cfg file and a dynamite*.dtc created, at least for the pro version. I'm not sure where they get created, though. I wonder what would happen if you nuked those (assuming a quick search in Vista turns them up for you)

The *s above are wildcards - I cannot remember if there is anything in terms of version number or similar involved.

I'm on the lite version and it does make a .dtc file which I nuked but I cannot find a .cfg file.

Taking out the .dtc didn't fix it though. The strange thing is it crashes in both 9.3.1 AND the current beta which are in different directories. I even cleared all LW configs which still didn't help. :screwy:

prometheus
05-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I guess all we can do now is to make him aware of this crashing problem
wether it is a bug or not.

I have mailed him about this several weeks ago and I hope everyone else does
that to, and hopefully He will get the time to check his mail and track down the problem.

Nothing else to do except switching back to older demos or lite versions and
wait for him to do an update at his homepage.

Michael

Phil
05-22-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm on the lite version and it does make a .dtc file which I nuked but I cannot find a .cfg file.

Taking out the .dtc didn't fix it though. The strange thing is it crashes in both 9.3.1 AND the current beta which are in different directories. I even cleared all LW configs which still didn't help. :screwy:

Hmmm. What happens if you clear out the contents of %temp%? Anything suspicious sitting in the...errrr....location that used to be 'Documents and Settings' (also should be defined via %userprofile%)?

druitre
07-11-2008, 08:19 AM
I bought dynamite recently (after trying out the demo to see if it's fluid solver would fulfill a client's request - which it did) and just sent CanTarcan an email with the same bugreport regarding the particles.

Fluids work brilliantly and are worth the price by themselves, but particles are not useable. In response to creativecontrol's posts/ others with the bug: I faffed about with it all I could and for me, as long as I don't touch the particles' size (or size variation) settings (either in the dynamite panel or in the emitter's properties) it renders stable. As soon as I change one of those parameters though - it's instant crashness.

I hope he's aware of the problem and can provide a solution... or maybe one of you have found out something in the meantime?

nemac4
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
IT works fine for me on XP64 with 64 bit LW,.. but 32 bit Lightwave with Dynamite crashes almost every time I try to render.

Verlon
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
dynamic-realities is active again? at least active enough to call NT? Great! If the plugin market is too weak for them (which would be sad), I would not mind seeing NT absorb them. (yeah yeah...more plugins added- but hopefully added right).

I like napalm.

druitre
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm on 32 bit WinXP, it might be just the best solution to buy me a 64 bit (will benefit soon to come XSI7 as well from what I gather) XP or Vista. Some other people in this thread mentioned it working well on 64 bit.

Nemac, is that XP or Vista you're running?