PDA

View Full Version : Texturing ABS

Hopper
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
This is going to sound totally noobish, but I can't seem to get a decent textured ABS plastic look. You'd think I could eventually figure out a procedural with a bump map and a gradient for specular, but everything I'm doing turns out looking like garbage. I know exactly what it's "supposed" to look like because I have a piece of it sitting right here, but I don't have my camera on me at the moment, so I found a random Googled pic..

http://www.humanspeakers.com/images/acc004.jpg
It's not a great pic, but you get the idea.

I can't seem to get the pattern right. I would prefer a couple of hints - I'm not looking for someone to do it for me. This is just part of my self training, but I've just hit a wall on this one. And yeah, I know .. this is probably one of the simplest textures on the planet, but that doesn't make me any better at it ... :D

Surrealist.
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
A good learning exercise is to take a look at the presets and surfaces that are included with LW. You can learn a lot by looking at those. Sometimes you can use one as a starting point and tweak.

JeffrySG
04-27-2008, 12:40 AM
I just threw this together pretty quickly. It uses a bump map I created in photoshop but you could probably replace it with a procedural instead. It's just easier for me to create them in ps. The zip file has the surface preset and the png bump map. It's not great but can be a good start for a texture. Hope this helps.

Hopper
04-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

I used both presets and Jeffry's sample to figure out I was missing a couple of steps in my textures. This will be much easier in a couple of weeks when I get my new machine. This is why I have been spending more of my efforts on modeling instead of texturing. Rendering is too painfully slow at the moment.

So far Jeffry, the texture looks like it will work well. I'll give it a few tweaks and render out some samples as soon as I get some time.

Thanks again!

cherishjoo
05-26-2017, 08:45 AM
ABS is the most commonly used material in rapid prototyping, which occupies around 80% of the world’s rapid prototyping manufacturing. So, what is ABS and why it is so widely used? What is advantages of ABS prototypes?

UnCommonGrafx
05-27-2017, 05:39 AM
It is an easy to work with and post-process material. If done well (ha, a tm 'secret' it seems), ABS can be nice and shiny. In other ways it can be matte-like dull.
All the while being a forgiving and strong material. With a mold, you can pour recycled abs and have some strong pieces of solid abs.