PDA

View Full Version : I am reposting this here... - Is it possible to clone objects and adjust their params

patrick99e99
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone,

My sister posted this question on another one of the newtek forums, but the only people who responded were PC users and the particular plugin suggested is no available for mac, so I thought I'd ask here.

Her question was:

"Is it possible to clone objects and adjust their surface parameters uniquely?
I am working on an animation sequence where I have many, many copies of the same object. (They are actually music notes, so think of sheet music... lots of objects). I would like to animate the colors and other properties of the surfaces on these objects independently. I do not want to save a unique copy of the same object 30+ times just so I can do this. Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help."

-patrick

Bytehawk
04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Proton to the rescue: This might help guide you in the right direction. This video shows how to setup a Distance to Object gradient in the Node Editor.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Distance_Nodes.mov

Good Luck and keep us posted!

tbennet
04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I think he needs to have control based on object id, not distance...
Is there another way of doing this without Mr. willmots node?

patrick99e99
04-25-2008, 07:01 PM
yes, the desired outcome is for there to be a bunch of identical objects, and one can be isolated and the colors can be changed without it affecting all the others...

thoughts?

-patrick

tbennet
04-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I am on 64 bit...so I am curious too!

Kuzey
04-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Mmmmm....wondering if this can be done with an lscript. Say, select one object then run the lscript and it would append an extension to the surface name of each copy. So instead of having 40 objects all named notes you end up with notes_01, notes_02 etc. etc.

Any Lscript masters in here :D

This would also make a good feature request, when cloning in layout to have the option to add the extension to each surface name so you can change them individually later on.

Kuzey

Bytehawk
04-26-2008, 07:12 AM
since surface is saved with the object, you would need to save a copy of the object and then rename the surface.

tbennet
04-26-2008, 10:16 AM
It would be way better if NT would integrate an ID node. That would be way easier then having 100 different surfaces in the surface editor...

Kuzey
04-27-2008, 04:32 AM
since surface is saved with the object, you would need to save a copy of the object and then rename the surface.

True indeed. Maybe a better way of doing it is to save only the surfaces of cloned objects with the scene...something like:

Scene file:
notes {original object: load surface from object}//LW normal routine
notes(1) {first cloned object: cloned surface details here}//hey we have different settings so we'll use this instead etc.
notes(2) {second cloned object: second cloned surface information here}

During the loading sequence you could import the objects with the surface setting from the object file and before it's displayed for the user..change it to the settings in the scene file.

Kuzey

3DGFXStudios
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
You can do I with an Uv map and a morph. If you scale the object down to 0% than clone them and than put a uv map on everything you can use the image below to give them each an other color.

tweaking the colors is a bit difficult. But the objects have each a different color.:hey: With "clone to layer" you can put them in seperate layers.

:D

tbennet
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
yeah, but that wont work if you are cloning them in layout to particles...:hey:

3DGFXStudios
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
you've got a point there!!! ;)

3DGFXStudios
04-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I think this works! I used the DPkit particleID node and a big crazy looking gradient.

tbennet
04-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I thought that that may work but didnt try... I dont know why it does but it does...cool!
Thanks for figuring that out...

Still would like the id node for times when their not connected to particles...
The other day I was doing a house made out of cards and had to go back to 32 bit for the id node... it made surfacing so much easier.
With one surface I was able to give all the cards the same surface on one side and different surfaces on the other side...