PDA

View Full Version : Surface Documentation

Skinner3D
04-25-2008, 03:26 PM
:help:
I am in the process of documenting everything (or almost everything) that I did in order to create a building for a college project. I have a question about the surfaces though.

What would be the most effectively (and hopefully efficient) way to show all the surface settings that I used? Should I screen shot every window, or Excel it, or is there some way to export it out?

Better question, am I wasting my time even trying to document the surfaces?

Silkrooster
04-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I would say it depends on if your professor requires it. You may want to ask him. If he says yes, then screen shots are probably the quickest and most accurate.
Silk

Surrealist.
04-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Why is it you want to document them?

For a separate archive of the surfaces for the object, you can save surfaces and or presets. Then you could have those backup on CD. Seems to me if you want to document it that would be the most efficient way because you would not have to recreate it again.

Skinner3D
04-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Im not really sure why I want to do this. My professor basically told me write it up so that a future student could 'reproduce' the project or something like it. (Although I highly doubt they will ever find someone)
I should probably just email my professor and see what they want surfacewise
:D

Surrealist.
04-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Well I guess silk is right, ask him. But I still think the best way to document it is to save the surface. If another student is going to want to know what you did, that student could just load up the surface file. Looking at surfaces other people have made is a great way to learn.

You would want to indicate the bounding box scale of the surface however so that the settings will make sense.

Other than that if you think it is going to be needed you could write a tutorial with screen shots. That would be a big help for anyone else coming along.