PDA

View Full Version : Any other Vue users?

Tony_R_B
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I intend to do a fair amount of my modeling for use in Vue 6i. Quick question has anyone here splashed out on Vue X-tream?

Is it worthwhile - I can see the temptation in getting all your Vue content and environments into LW, but before opting for an expensive sidegrade I would like an independent opinion...

Steamthrower
04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I use Vue, but not xStream. I'm happy with the program, and the way it integrates with Lightwave, but not so impressed with the customer service.

Tony_R_B
04-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Yeah I know what you mean... I inadvertantly set up two accounts as I have sidegraded all the way up from Easel - When I asked for help to sort it out; I was basically told it was up to me...

I got it sorted, but after spending the dough - I expect a bit more from a supplier.

rakker16mm
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I am using Vue 6 eXstream. I really like the program but I am too new to it to be feel I am in a position to recommend it. One thing I like is that it really does make putting an environment together very quick and easy. It does integrate with LW although there seem to be a gothcha or two here and there.

Over all I am very happy to have it and use it and I don't regret making the purchase at all.

Andyjaggy
04-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend xstream. Way too buggy to be useful. Just stick with infinite.

sean hargreaves
04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I second that emotion. But if you have complex models from LW you've imported, the 'viewer' has problems with them, and also, problems with the surfaces, even if you're just dealing with a solid color.

Andy, do you have that problem?

Andyjaggy
04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I could write a book on the problems I've had with Vue. :) Still though you can get some amazing results with the vegetation so I keep using it.

rakker16mm
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
On cgswami's recommendation I've been freezing my models and exporting them as .obj files. That seems to work pretty well for the most part. What ever I send over to Vue tends to stay there so I wait to do any of my textures until I get the model into Vue.

Also I have not had too many problems with Vue at all. Infact on my machine it is just as stable as LW 9.31. However this could be that different users are working with the software in different ways.

So far my biggest issue with Vue is that smoothing seems to apply to the whole model rather than just a particular surface on the model. If any one knows a work around for that please let me know. As I say I am new to Vue.

beverins
04-25-2008, 02:00 PM
I would recommend it. Like all software it has its problems, niggles, gripes and nitpicks. Its not perfect, but what it does, it does superbly well.

Its rendering is slow, slower than LW and Fprime doesn't work with it. However, for what it does it cannot be beat.

I use it for shots even where I dont need vegatation, just for Vue's radiosity engine.

Andyjaggy
04-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Your joking right? You use Vue just for the radiosity.......... To each their own I guess.

tonybliss
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
rakker16mm sorry for replying to your PM .. been massively caught up .. will check it now :)

tonybliss
04-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh and Vue .. works really fine .. some interactivity issues but workable. ..really

Andy not sure what horror stories you're have with its use ... i might be able to help .. not sure

as for the service .. the French are not known for good service ....
just good sex :tongue:
ooh and wine to go with it ;)

Andyjaggy
04-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Most of the problems I ran into where with the xstream plugin. All sorts of issues getting proper buffers. Issues with Vue creating extra cameras and lights. Issues with Vue render settings not working. Issues with alpha planes not working. Issues with constant crashing during prolonged renders. And of coarse the ridiculous render times using Xstream.

When I started using the approach of rendering inside Vue and not Lightwave things got considerably better. Still had quite a few issues with getting proper buffers exported, the shadow buffer for one thing is just awful. Still issues with crashing but was workable and only a minor annoyance. And then the real killer was the tons of issues that came up when network rendering, this was a huge killer and pretty much a show stopper because of the massive render times.

For still frames Vue is amazing. I would highly recommend it. For animations that need buffers and are going to be comped with stuff, there are some serious issues that keep me from really recommending it.

If you want I can dig up my 3 page document that has all the issues I ran into while working with Vue. But really the biggest show stopper was just getting the stuff rendered, with proper buffers saved.

Tony_R_B
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Interesting I have found 6i to be stable within itself, but like most apps the import/export is trickier. Oh and the save before you render mantra - it really applies with Vue.

I'm a bit confused I would have thought the advantages were gained by rendering in LW. In terms of textures vue is quite capable and the function editor is flexible. The lighting control I also like...

As a n00b to LW does it have the same ability to selectively illuminate objects as Vue?

My own feeling at the moment would be import/export obj's and forget x-tream...

Oh, and I'm English - what is this sex thing?

tonybliss
04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey Tony ...

From your experience would you say the french are god at service ???

And well have you ever had a french woman .. or guy .... well each speaks for itself

I never was with a brit ... so i can't say ;)

As for the some training resources for lw 9 and xstream check out this site

http://www.asilefx.com/product.php?ProductCategoryID=27&ProductID=127

commercial though

we just bought it ... can't stop learning :D

Tony_R_B
04-26-2008, 03:56 AM
cgswami...

Um, what sort of service are we considering? I have to admit to a certain liking for french women... It's a wonderfully sexy language spoken by a woman and those latin skin tones... Opppps, I digress :D

Oh I'm not a brit - I'm English (you need to live here to understand that comment)
But we are astounding (if a bit economical with the truth ;))

Looks a useful site - now bookmarked - nice stuff for std vue to, but I have spent all my pennies (and more importantly brownie points with the Missus) for the time being. Being a n00b to LW I'm sure I have enough learning to do...

dballesg
04-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Hi,

I think you will find this site very useful for Vue! :)

http://www.geekatplay.com/tutorials.php

David

tonybliss
04-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Oh yeah thats also a great site, fantastic concept tutorials there ...

oh and sorry about the brit/english thing .. i think i understand the technicalities in that ...

Service in General ... How they treat customers ... :D

Have a good time learning LW and Vue .... may more money come your way too !! :D

GATOR
04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
I have Vue6 xStream, but I tend to use the stand-alone application the most. I find the Lightwave plug-in to be a bit clumsy and too buggy. But it does serve it's purpose on occasion. I tend to like compositing things separately anyway, so it's no big deal.

It's a great addition to my toolbox, seldom does a week go buy that I don't use it for something. At the beginning of the year I had four back-to-back projects that had the need for trees and landscaping and the program was a life-saver.

Very easy to learn, as well.

I haven't needed to populate a city with buildings with it yet, but I've had projects like that before, so once I learned the program I did a test. Very cool.

While I've run into a few bugs, I've learned mostly what to avoid. Usually it had to do with importing elevation data (DEM) to make landscapes based from various sources. I've exported a lot of DEM generated terrains from the program and into Lightwave with great success.

Just gotta love that "Paint Ecosystem" tool.

Tony_R_B
04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
dballesg - right on! I am a GAP addict and user the video's are very useful.

cgswarmi
The French on customers - well I have to be fair I broke down in France (in admittedly a French car) and they garage worked on it twice (two separate days) - about 4 hours in total and they charged me nothing and wished me a nice holiday... So on that basis...

I'm working on the money side :) Just in the speculation mode - soon I hope I get too accumulate.

GATOR
If you work is Vue based only (ie not for export to other apps) then Chipp Walters Vue tools and Gridmodler are great apps to use; GM in particular is fantastic for repetitive modeling (large hangars, warehouse's and the sort.) They are not really modling apps as they depend on Vue for the structural effects, but I use them for fast 'concept stuff' and I would use them for my own Vue based scenes.

Paint ecosystem and the advanced lighting, oh metaclouds let's not forget metaclouds...
They can cover up all sorts of glitches ;)

Tony_R_B
04-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Got my invoice from the French first post this morning - so that was on the ball...

Of course I would have preferred the software, but at least I know the wheels are turning :D

starbase1
04-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Vue customer service is the worst in the industry in my book... Wait till you want to upgrade, or migrate your software to a new machine.

guardonduty
04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
VUE is excellent.

We got the LW-VUE bundle a while back and thought it was a piece of junk after the first render. It looked so cartoonish it was put aside until 1 month ago. Someone in our group got a quick job and loaded vue to do it. Low and behold, we were blown away. We discoverd that you get some stunning renders if you use some of the preset environments and then tweek them. THe attached render uses the SKYDOME environment under the sunshine category. "Use the environments that have the GI or GR lable." buildings were modled with LWCAD . This was rendered at a low DPI...We are now thinking about buying Vue6 because some objects don't import correctly into Vue5. We are bidding on a major "CITY Design" project which VUe will be perfect for.

Steamthrower
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I have found that the GI in Vue (despite Andy's derision!) produces a look that a lot of architects seem to dig. It's not anything near photorealistic, but has some sort of wacko clay sculpture feel to it. I wouldn't use it for a personal project, to be honest, but as long as architects like it and my boss doesn't get any complaints, I'll use that GI look.

bing66
04-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Have used vue xstream with lw for a while, mainly for landscape viz ( forestry etc) i also use VueExport2xStream which is a great little script generator to export from lw to vue, there are problems but nothing you cant work around, i also render in both depending what i need really, vue is quite slow
I have loaded in 8*8 km landscape tiles from global mapper into lw then into vue with no major problems
some screenshots for you, these were done from the same model 1 distant and 1 up close, the close up is not this detailed all over just in the area needed this was done using B+W texures for texture placement which is a great feature of vue

dballesg
04-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi,

bing66 really nice renders. Do you have the render times for those? Are stills or animations?

David

ben martin
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I use xStream 6 and LW.
Yup, some render crashes in LW when crossing complex scenes but like someone said... nothing is perfect.
It's worth the money, especially if you plan to use Vue xStrem with Lw a lot.

In the past I used the sync plug-in (Vue 5 Infinite) but it really can't reach the integration level the xStream offers out of the box.

Despite some annoying problems (bugs and crashes) I recommend it! :-)

Oh, by the way, scenes that take 8 min. (per frame) to render in VUE, I can make them render in 3 min (per frame) using Lightwave/xStream. ;-)

bing66
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
hi thanks
these were animations and some were quite complex, (7 billion polies in vue)
renders were done over a period of days with some frames taking 20 mins, i found using the render to network but with out using render cow the best, ie once your happy with the scene save it and then open a blank vue and open up batch renderer and load you scene in that

35mm
04-29-2008, 06:16 AM
I've been using Vue for some time, but I'm new to LW. Vue is great, and crap all at the same time. It's become crap again now since I downloaded the latest beta! I still love it. For the most part I find the customer service is ok, and always get a prompt response. Matt Rivers is the most helpful tech. You have to remember they are a very small company with a growing, but limited scope product. I think they do a good job considdering.

As for extreme, I was using it with C4D, but now I'm thinking of swapping the licence to use it with LW. Never got it working properly with C4D on network renders, and had some other issues too, such as the fact that the vue plugin is volumetric, so you can't use it if your C4D scene has volumetric effects in it.

Do you have any of these problems using it with LW?

starbase1
04-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I've been using Vue for some time, but I'm new to LW. Vue is great, and crap all at the same time. It's become crap again now since I downloaded the latest beta! I still love it. For the most part I find the customer service is ok, and always get a prompt response. Matt Rivers is the most helpful tech. You have to remember they are a very small company with a growing, but limited scope product. I think they do a good job considdering.

I can understand that...

Vue is superb at good skies, and that includes exporting them with matching HDR. It's very good indeed at polygon counts in the billions. It's good at importing geometry, (and weak at the surfaces).

The support people are responsive, but all too often that seems to come down to telling you promtly and politely which hoops they want you to jump through. If you need to re-install after an upgrade or two, they expect you to go through each version in turn, and to still have every disk and packet to hand. And I can assure you that if you go through that on a machine which does not yet have a working net connection yet, you would rather bite your own nose off than do it twice.

I >>MUCH<< prefer the 'dongle' approach, where I can install easily, and move the dongle when I need to for authentication.

Nick

frantbk
04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I have found that the GI in Vue (despite Andy's derision!) produces a look that a lot of architects seem to dig. It's not anything near photorealistic, but has some sort of wacko clay sculpture feel to it. I wouldn't use it for a personal project, to be honest, but as long as architects like it and my boss doesn't get any complaints, I'll use that GI look.

I think that wacko look they like has the look of a model instead of a render. That is if you are referring to the render by guardonduty. That is what I get from the rendering, that it looks like to old models that architects used before computers.

35mm
04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
I can understand that...

Vue is superb at good skies, and that includes exporting them with matching HDR. It's very good indeed at polygon counts in the billions. It's good at importing geometry, (and weak at the surfaces).

The support people are responsive, but all too often that seems to come down to telling you promtly and politely which hoops they want you to jump through. If you need to re-install after an upgrade or two, they expect you to go through each version in turn, and to still have every disk and packet to hand. And I can assure you that if you go through that on a machine which does not yet have a working net connection yet, you would rather bite your own nose off than do it twice.

I >>MUCH<< prefer the 'dongle' approach, where I can install easily, and move the dongle when I need to for authentication.

Nick

Yes I've been through the reinstall hoop too before now, but if you ask them nicely they will give you a download link for the latest complete version, so you don't have to go through all the updates. One good thing I got out of vue which was very worth while was MatchMover Pro for peanuts through a deal with e-on and Realviz - that wasn't so bad.

Sekhar
04-29-2008, 07:38 AM
I've been using xStream since v5 (the first), and like others here have had mixed results. Right now, my setup has LW 9.5 with Vue 6.5 (both latest builds) - the 64 bit combo works, 32 doesn't.

I've been following the groans on the Vue forums over the last 2 years or so, and my feeling is xStream is probably more stable for LW, compared to C4D, Max (and probably Maya too) - unless there're just fewer LW users posting.

My results have been generally good with xStream, though renders take an insane amount of time, killing the workflow if you're doing video. Bottom line, if you need to do environments interacting with LW objects very easily, I'd say it's worth taking the plunge.

Steamthrower
04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I think that wacko look they like has the look of a model instead of a render. That is if you are referring to the render by guardonduty. That is what I get from the rendering, that it looks like to old models that architects used before computers.

Exactly. Looks like a miniature matchstick-and-putty model. It's been kind of hit-and-miss, but I'd hazard a guess that older architects like it more than younger ones. The work we tend to do for our projects is very speedy, rapid stuff, so we rarely get around to the photorealistic renders.

Tony_R_B
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I use xStream 6 and LW.
Yup, some render crashes in LW when crossing complex scenes but like someone said... nothing is perfect.
It's worth the money, especially if you plan to use Vue xStrem with Lw a lot.

In the past I used the sync plug-in (Vue 5 Infinite) but it really can't reach the integration level the xStream offers out of the box.

Despite some annoying problems (bugs and crashes) I recommend it! :-)

Oh, by the way, scenes that take 8 min. (per frame) to render in VUE, I can make them render in 3 min (per frame) using Lightwave/xStream. ;-)

Well that is a benefit - I don't animate in Vue but I do use metaclouds and complex skies to get the atmospheric look I like - that means long render times - 26 hours for a static render is my longest [3Ghz DC, 2Gb Ram, Nvidia7800] - mind you one of my friends just hit a 42 hour render - now that does sound X-stream!

Tony_R_B
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Well here is a stab at something...

I actually need tents - well a whole encampment - which is why these a a bit resource hungry at 50K polys each...

Still it's a start :D

frantbk
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Exactly. Looks like a miniature matchstick-and-putty model. It's been kind of hit-and-miss, but I'd hazard a guess that older architects like it more than younger ones. The work we tend to do for our projects is very speedy, rapid stuff, so we rarely get around to the photorealistic renders.

I have to say, I don't mind the look myself, and I'm not an architect. It is a style I hope doesn't go away just because it can. The old air bush concept art has been vaporized by the computer. I kind of miss that art.

frantbk
04-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Well that is a benefit - I don't animate in Vue but I do use metaclouds and complex skies to get the atmospheric look I like - that means long render times - 26 hours for a static render is my longest [3Ghz DC, 2Gb Ram, Nvidia7800] - mind you one of my friends just hit a 42 hour render - now that does sound X-stream!

Yeah, Vue does make 3 old men with etchasketchs look speedy. Vue's render is so slow, four blind guys with putty knifes have a chance at sculpting great art. 8/ :D

frantbk
04-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Whats the matter, guy can't make a joke about Vue's pokey render? Maybe I should have thrown in a Bryce render joke.

Tony_R_B
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Whats the matter, guy can't make a joke about Vue's pokey render? Maybe I should have thrown in a Bryce render joke.

Throw in the blind guys with the putty knives and I have a render farm :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM

You shouldn't even make a Bryce render joke.

Bryce's renderer IS a joke!

Andyjaggy
04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh man. Bryce. Haven't touched that in ages. I think I still have a copy laying around somewhere.

frantbk
04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Not only do I have some copies of Bryce around, I found the Bryce 5.5 demo on my hard drive - eek!

I will say that Vue's render in X-Stream is faster then the old Vue 3.1. X-Streams just not as fast as many of the other renders.

Tony_R_B
05-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I have Bryce 6.1, now haow many times have I used it since I learnt Vue?

Ooo...

Maybe I should uninstall it. Bryce is ok - its just... Bryce - renders are instantly recognisable something to do with the tonal quality of the skies. But hey, I owe it - it got me into doing external scenes.

archijam
05-01-2008, 07:28 AM
- it got me into doing external scenes.

You mean it got you doing mountains in oceans ;) ..

No program is yet to match it in this regard. Or in making acid-house-party-flyers.

Actually I think Bryce is the Nostradamus of 3D programs ..

Sea level rise ahoy!

beverins
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
If you want Trippy Acid House, another good one is MOJOWORLD.

Another good landscape program, but which is extremely technical and as such is more meant as a scientific visualizer than an artist's tool (though it has plenty of examples of being used for art) is World Construction Set.

I made one or two nice WCS anims when it was for the Amiga. I fired it up recently on my Amiga 1200, and... well, even within the confines of Amiga interfaces of yore (I can still get around Art Department Professional if need be) WCS for the Amiga was pretty hardcore... I do remember the glacial rendertimes on 33mhz :D (68040). They haven't improved the interface much for the modern PC versions either.

As to my earlier comment on just using Vue for its radiosity - I try to use what Vue is good at - namely vegetation and instancing. However, there are times when I use it as if it were Ozone 3... namely because setting up volumetric clouds and haze and whatnot is something I'm not very good at in Lightwave... but in Vue - BAM! 4 clicks and I have a nice Hot Sunny Day, or a Cold Wintry Gloom. And since Ozone 3 is just Vue Xstream with everything except atmospheres ripped out, why buy Ozone when I have the whole hog? :D I DO have to say, though... I mean, I find myself trying to find excuses to put trees in every scene. heh heh

Andyjaggy
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
True, I'm always looking for projects to use trees in now. :)

starbase1
05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Actually I think Bryce is the Nostradamus of 3D programs ..

You mean, I assume, that it's a load of tosh that lacks substance, but impresses the more gullible?!?!

frantbk
05-01-2008, 02:28 PM
If you want Trippy Acid House, another good one is MOJOWORLD.
Mojoworld, I felt like I needed a PHD in Terra-forming.

Another good landscape program, but which is extremely technical and as such is more meant as a scientific visualizer than an artist's tool (though it has plenty of examples of being used for art) is World Construction Set.

World Construction set for PC. Now there is a program in need of a face-lift. That GUI is,...woo.

I made one or two nice WCS anims when it was for the Amiga. I fired it up recently on my Amiga 1200, and... well, even within the confines of Amiga interfaces of yore (I can still get around Art Department Professional if need be) WCS for the Amiga was pretty hardcore... I do remember the glacial rendertimes on 33mhz :D (68040). They haven't improved the interface much for the modern PC versions either.

As to my earlier comment on just using Vue for its radiosity - I try to use what Vue is good at - namely vegetation and instancing. However, there are times when I use it as if it were Ozone 3... namely because setting up volumetric clouds and haze and whatnot is something I'm not very good at in Lightwave... but in Vue - BAM! 4 clicks and I have a nice Hot Sunny Day, or a Cold Wintry Gloom. And since Ozone 3 is just Vue Xstream with everything except atmospheres ripped out, why buy Ozone when I have the whole hog? :D I DO have to say, though... I mean, I find myself trying to find excuses to put trees in every scene. heh heh

Having Vue 3.1 for the PC I can say that e-on hasn't worked on many of the original core functions much (which they need to). I do like the ecosystem in X-Stream, but I will say that 64-bit is probably necessary when running Lightwave/X-Stream. I'm running the PLE version and the amount of data being exchanged seems heavy for 32-bit.

frantbk
05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I have Bryce 6.1, now haow many times have I used it since I learnt Vue?

Ooo...

Maybe I should uninstall it. Bryce is ok - its just... Bryce - renders are instantly recognisable something to do with the tonal quality of the skies. But hey, I owe it - it got me into doing external scenes.

Besides the buttons for Daz studio has the GUI changed any? Back when Vue came out it was a jump over Bryce, but lately I think e-on could do more with the interface and they need to add more functions of tool sets for handling imported models.

Bryce, if anyone but Daz had Bryce more could be done to that program to bring it into the 21st century. Hexagon, Bryce are pretty much suffering from a lack of imagination on Daz's part.

frantbk
05-03-2008, 07:25 AM
I've must of made a true statement about Daz's lack of imagination. Anyway, which is the best of the Vue products? Because I have Vue 3.1 and haven't upgraded (currently using X-Stream PLE for testing) since. Besides the ecosystem I'm not sure what has changed.

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I've must of made a true statement about Daz's lack of imagination. Anyway, which is the best of the Vue products? Because I have Vue 3.1 and haven't upgraded (currently using X-Stream PLE for testing) since. Besides the ecosystem I'm not sure what has changed.

I don't go back so far with Vue (5i), but I think; the skies (specular); metaclouds; influenced lighting for each object; painting ecosystems; and the materials node editor flexibilty.

I'm not a salesman for them however - I am very disappointed with the implementation promised for Poser model's within Vue. It is a joke, now I know that is mostly down to texture sizes and that the memory leak is mostly fixed, but when they headline someting it should be usable...

I know people running 64bit with 8mb of ram - still won't use it. Mind you she does cane things - render farm of 5 PC's and was talking about a 171hour render 8/

frantbk
05-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't go back so far with Vue (5i), but I think; the skies (specular); metaclouds; influenced lighting for each object; painting ecosystems; and the materials node editor flexibilty.

I'm not a salesman for them however - I am very disappointed with the implementation promised for Poser model's within Vue. It is a joke, now I know that is mostly down to texture sizes and that the memory leak is mostly fixed, but when they headline someting it should be usable...

I know people running 64bit with 8mb of ram - still won't use it. Mind you she does cane things - render farm of 5 PC's and was talking about a 171hour render 8/

I can't disagree about the metaclouds, or the ecoystems (the paint brush could use more control).

What I find interesting in you post is the 64bit people still won't use it. I was thinking that 32bit Vue X-stream's problem is memory bandwidth. Because of the amount of data I was thinking that you would not want anything less then 64bit and you probably would want a motherboard that had a 2:1, or 4:1 interleaved memory buse. I could be very wrong (so I would like some feedback), but what I've considered is using a server-workstation/xeon motherboard for lightwave/vue. I think if you are running vue x-stream on a regular gaming motherboard there would probably be more problems because of the large amounts of data to handle.

Vue's render farm, now that is an issue I would like to hear more about.

Tony_R_B
05-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I can't disagree about the metaclouds, or the ecoystems (the paint brush could use more control).

What I find interesting in you post is the 64bit people still won't use it. I was thinking that 32bit Vue X-stream's problem is memory bandwidth. Because of the amount of data I was thinking that you would not want anything less then 64bit and you probably would want a motherboard that had a 2:1, or 4:1 interleaved memory buse. I could be very wrong (so I would like some feedback), but what I've considered is using a server-workstation/xeon motherboard for lightwave/vue. I think if you are running vue x-stream on a regular gaming motherboard there would probably be more problems because of the large amounts of data to handle.

Vue's render farm, now that is an issue I would like to hear more about.

Hi Frantbk

That comment is specifically about the 'in Vue' poser - Vue itself apparently runs very well under 64bit. If you are interested I can get my friend to talk to you about the render farm - Vue gives you 5 licences and unlike some applications stiches all the images back together.

frantbk
05-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes, I would like to hear you friends comments on 64bit Vue and its render farm.

Thanks

Tony3d
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I just got Vue 6 Infinite, and finally after figuring out I had to turn off the background draw thread, finally I'm able to use it with almost no crashes. I did this the other day.
http://www.digitalcanvas3d.com/Mountain_Fly_Through.html. Needs work, but I think that Vue itself is quite amazing.

Tony_R_B
05-05-2008, 02:52 AM
I just got Vue 6 Infinite, and finally after figuring out I had to turn off the background draw thread, finally I'm able to use it with almost no crashes. I did this the other day.
http://www.digitalcanvas3d.com/Mountain_Fly_Through.html. Needs work, but I think that Vue itself is quite amazing.

That really is very nice - how long did the rending take? I find alot of issues with Vue telling me there is no disc space to render - when blatantly there is... Sort of put me off the animation side of it.

Tony_R_B
05-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Yes, I would like to hear you friends comments on 64bit Vue and its render farm.

Thanks

Will do, I have to be careful about putting people directly in contact with her... She is currently being cyberstalked; all due to telling some guy (she's a moderator) not to post other people's work as his own. :devil:

I'll get back to you when I have a response. :)

Tony_R_B
05-05-2008, 05:06 AM

Thanks

Kristin has joined, her profile is here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=89923) she happy to chat so pm her your questions. :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
05-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Will do, I have to be careful about putting people directly in contact with her... She is currently being cyberstalked; all due to telling some guy (she's a moderator) not to post other people's work as his own. :devil:

Depressing, isn't it? Think of the pitiful guy who doesn't have anything else to do besides stalk...

Sorry, completely off topic! :D

Silverblade
05-05-2008, 08:51 AM
I've still rarely used Lightwave, sigh, too busy using Vue and not enough time, grr!

The "Background Draw Thread" does seem to cause some folk serious problems with Vue, so if you crash a lot, try turning it off, and Nvidia cards are usually much more stable.

Radiosity...Chipp Wlaters recently released his "InteriorPak", which is largely about getting realistic radiosity renders in Vue. Did this using his interior setting and adding Poser characters from my comic:
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/wildspace/characters1realism.jpg

Mojoworld is actually pretty great at creating "trippy" stuff ;) Wish the proggie was more Human friendly, as tweaking the materials/surfaces is waaaaay too abstract for me.:thumbsdow
I re-installed Mojoworld to mess around with it last month, alas, simply don't know enough to get it to do what I want and don't have time ot learn it to improve things. Frustrating, as I think it's got a lot of promise and actual fun (which is why I bought it)
Foreground sucks, water needs improved etc etc but I LOVE the over all weirdness of it
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/mojo/varess_1_1024.jpg

Tony_R_B
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Silverblade :)

After seeing your image on r'osity I have just invested in Chipps pak; I want to give it a run with some of the Poser interiors like 'Gothinesque'.

I will also use it with the interiors I need to create for Oxonica on Cufa's Arts...

I've still rarely used Lightwave, sigh, too busy using Vue and not enough time, grr!

The "Background Draw Thread" does seem to cause some folk serious problems with Vue, so if you crash a lot, try turning it off, and Nvidia cards are usually much more stable.

Radiosity...Chipp Wlaters recently released his "InteriorPak", which is largely about getting realistic radiosity renders in Vue. Did this using his interior setting and adding Poser characters from my comic:
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/wildspace/characters1realism.jpg

Mojoworld is actually pretty great at creating "trippy" stuff ;) Wish the proggie was more Human friendly, as tweaking the materials/surfaces is waaaaay too abstract for me.:thumbsdow
I re-installed Mojoworld to mess around with it last month, alas, simply don't know enough to get it to do what I want and don't have time ot learn it to improve things. Frustrating, as I think it's got a lot of promise and actual fun (which is why I bought it)
Foreground sucks, water needs improved etc etc but I LOVE the over all weirdness of it
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/mojo/varess_1_1024.jpg

Silverblade
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
*waves at Tony* :)

Cool! :) The pack actually comes with a pdf explaining his system on getting the best radiosity results, he talked ot the E-On techs a lot about it. Apparently, if I get it right, Vue's system is designed more for radiosity of outdoor scenes with lots of plants etc over large areas, so needs tweaking to get better results in doors and up close.

...I need to read the pdf again, not enough time to properly digest it, lol.

frantbk
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Kristin has joined, her profile is here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=89923) she happy to chat so pm her your questions. :thumbsup:

I sent Kristin a pm using NewTek's internal system, but it timed out on me. She might receive none, or several of the same e-mail. If I don't hear back by the end of the week I'll try again.

Hey NewTek - five minutes isn't enough for some of use to type an e-mail. Can we move the time out up to 8 minutes? :help:

frantbk
05-05-2008, 05:08 PM

I'll get back to you when I have a response. :)

See, I don't get that :stumped: I have a hard time posting my work because is is plain. I just don't understand why someone would post someone else's work as there own. What filter am I missing that gives people the b... to do that :question:

Tony_R_B
05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi M8 :thumbsup:

Yeah that pdf is sort of... detailed.

But I get the impression that Chipp lives an breathes Vue - I'm glad he does by the way - he come up with neat stuff. I shall be giving it a go on some egyptian internals.

I have seen Vue give a lot of smudging on internal work - corner shadows and the like - I think that is a result of priming radiosity for the 'big outdoors' and now Chipp seems to have a handle on it.

Now I just need one :stumped:

*lol*

*waves at Tony* :)

Cool! :) The pack actually comes with a pdf explaining his system on getting the best radiosity results, he talked ot the E-On techs a lot about it. Apparently, if I get it right, Vue's system is designed more for radiosity of outdoor scenes with lots of plants etc over large areas, so needs tweaking to get better results in doors and up close.

...I need to read the pdf again, not enough time to properly digest it, lol.

Tony_R_B
05-06-2008, 10:13 AM
If you think about it - very poor idea. We are a pretty enclosed community - you are going to be found out. I expect it is more down to wanting attention rather than having b***s. :chicken:

Sad in a way...

No excuse for it, and in particular not for the stalking...:thumbsdow

See, I don't get that :stumped: I have a hard time posting my work because is is plain. I just don't understand why someone would post someone else's work as there own. What filter am I missing that gives people the b... to do that :question:

Intuition
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I bought the vue5/lw bundle. I used it mainly for some clouds a few times and tested the eco paint which was pretty neat.

Later I upgraded to vue 6 xstream and found out that although it worked with LW it was very unstable.

I have recently upgraded to the latest 6.6 beta and found it much more stable then any previous release but it still finds ways to crash during renders. It doesn't seem to crash much during the scene build for me much anymore but I have a 300 frame scene with grass and trees and clouds and it does about 50 frames at a time and it crashes. Normally I just reboot the scene but I have noticed that with breeze moving the plants around that when I restart the scene midway that the plant animations are not consistent so I have little jumps in the animation where ever I resume.

So. Although I am having more fun with it then before and I do love what it can do and I do like the xstream implementation vue is still like sitting at a craps table throwing dice.

Now, that being said I also have tested it in XSI/mental ray and it seems much better then the LW integration....this is actually true of realflow too, much better integration in XSI, but currently I am nodelocked to LW so I need to spend $200 to get the mental ray node as well since my renders have the water mark on them. I didn't crash it in XSI yet but....big but. I haven't done a sequence render. I will be testing that today to see if it crashes the same as LW in like 50 frames using the same scene and will be making time comparisons.

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I've been using Vue lately for some really intensive renders...massive amounts of clouds and water and a lot of foliage...and I thought Lightwave's renderer could be slow. No way, baby. Vue is like a turtle. If I had some foolish hopes that I was going to do my demo reel this year in full 1080p I was dead wrong.

Andyjaggy
05-07-2008, 08:03 AM
I've been using Vue lately for some really intensive renders...massive amounts of clouds and water and a lot of foliage...and I thought Lightwave's renderer could be slow. No way, baby. Vue is like a turtle. If I had some foolish hopes that I was going to do my demo reel this year in full 1080p I was dead wrong.

So silly of you to think that. :) Although honestly I have started to change my tune when it comes to the render speed of Vue. I've been able to get some decent speed out of it, and considering what you are rendering. Massive foliage it really isn't that bad. 300,000 trees in 1.5 hours. I can live with that.

Tony3d
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
So silly of you to think that. :) Although honestly I have started to change my tune when it comes to the render speed of Vue. I've been able to get some decent speed out of it, and considering what you are rendering. Massive foliage it really isn't that bad. 300,000 trees in 1.5 hours. I can live with that.

Your right! You have to realize the enormous scene's Vue renders. I think comparable scenes in Lightwave would probably slow down LW to crawl also. I rendered the sample scene below at 1280X720 using Global Illumination is just under 00:11:30 on a Mac Pro 2.8 dual quad core. That sounds pretty much on par with Lightwave to me.

Tony_R_B
05-09-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm just doing a test render on the interior pak scene (GR) 1024x576 with my user settings (post later). Might be interesting as here it is doing something more akin to a LW render...