PDA

View Full Version : New version of Electric Image .. ?

archijam
04-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Interesting article here (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4491&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=highlights&utm_term=eias7&utm_content=robot&utm_campaign=20080421&referer=newsletter).

Couldn't help but think that they may be on to something, especially in focusing on interoperability with autodesk suites etc.

Important to look at how other apps are changing their tactics in a rapidly evolving marketplace (the post-blender age?) ...

frantbk
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Until they have a product showing the goods I don't think I get too excited.

archijam
04-25-2008, 08:13 AM
When I say 'onto something' I don't mean the software, but the changing strategy ..

LW is in a price bracket where it can easily be bought as an 'add-on' to your existing workflow (it costs less than many high end plugins such as Vray etc.)

frantbk
04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I see what you are saying, but talk is talk until the product shows up. ElectricImage has had a hard life during the late 1990's -to- 21 century. After reading the bite about the modeling program, tesla, I'm wondering what happen between them and NeverCenter. Silo was being bundle with ElectricImage. Also is the GUI of ElectricImage getting a face lift? Changing strategy with Autodesk? Has Autodesk agreed to the support?

adamredwoods
04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Was it this EAIS or Houdini where I looked at the interface and started to gag?
Looked like early Linux.

User Interface is so important to software these days. Look at all the software products that have relatively the same features, but differ radically by way of interface.

Exception
04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
So Brad Parscale used to work for NewTek and is now at EIAS, and Jay Roth used to be CEO of EIAS and now works at Newtek?

Is this some modern form of wife-swapping?

jburford
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
So Brad Parscale used to work for NewTek and is now at EIAS, and Jay Roth used to be CEO of EIAS and now works at Newtek?

:D love it! good one.

3dworks
04-25-2008, 11:48 AM

the great mark granger did work for EI too, in the early years.
EIAS's fast and wonderful camera was his work, afaik.

good to have him onboard for lightwave now ;)

cheers

markus

3dworks
04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Was it this EAIS or Houdini where I looked at the interface and started to gag?
Looked like early Linux.

User Interface is so important to software these days. Look at all the software products that have relatively the same features, but differ radically by way of interface.

EIAS's and LW's interface aren't that much different in the end - at least from the user point of view i felt quite at home when i started to use LW after using EIAS for years. of course this was LW version 6, but basically it didn't change a lot on both sides.

cheers

markus

Dexter2999
04-25-2008, 11:51 AM

I guess that makes SIGGRAPH and NAB just great big Key Parties.

calilifestyle
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
So is this a newer version then the one that just came out.

gatz
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
I sometimes miss EI. The renderer was/is fast and beautiful. It oversampled at the edges of objects so you never had to worry about defringing or choking mattes. The camera positioning is so intuitive I'm surprised it isn't emulated in every app. Some of the plugins are really sweet and I wish a few of the developers would defect to the LW camp.

That said, when I go MacTel it will be the first EI free machine I've owned in over 10 years. What will take that coveted dongle position...

rg

3dworks
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I sometimes miss EI. The renderer was/is fast and beautiful. It oversampled at the edges of objects so you never had to worry about defringing or choking mattes. The camera positioning is so intuitive I'm surprised it isn't emulated in every app. Some of the plugins are really sweet and I wish a few of the developers would defect to the LW camp.

That said, when I go MacTel it will be the first EI free machine I've owned in over 10 years. What will take that coveted dongle position...

rg

true words - btw. speaking of former EI geniuses now developing for newtek - guess why LW now has this fast and beautiful AA algorithm? just making wild speculations, of course ;)

i wonder when they will make camera multiprocessor (and core) aware - this was one of the reasons why i quit using EIAS a while ago. previews can't use but one processor (renderama does not support previews), and if you have to do lots of them, this time sums up enormously...

curiously, long time ago, there was a first attempt at this, a special multiprocessing camera version was developed for the multiproc G4 macs (i'm not sure, it was around year 2000, maybe someone has better memory...) - but this was dropped not much later.

cheers from another 'ex' (at least for now!) EI guy :D

markus

GATOR
04-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I still have my EI dongle plugged in.

I don't use it to create anymore, but on occasion I need to open up old files. I used the program for over 10 years, so a lot of my archive is EI based. I miss the fact that Lightwave doesn't open up FACT files anymore.

For a one-person shop, EI allowed me to crank out minutes of animation on overnight renders. It was worth its weight in gold (and remember when it cost $10,000 a seat?). But I do print work mostly now and Lightwave is a lot easier to deal with in terms of client edits.

NAS
04-28-2008, 06:19 AM
My version is so old i doubt it would even work anymore hahahaha
A friend gave me an Old Mac to run it on years ago and it was my first steps into 3D
I found out a little later that the gift he had given me was worth thousands of dollars and i was amazed
Still like it for some stuff

NAS

Matt
04-28-2008, 06:43 AM

Don't forget Mark Granger who wrote the EIAS Camera is now onboard with us! :D