PDA

View Full Version : Grid gets weird :help:

borgru12
04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I am a newbie and need some help with my grid display.

When I start modeling in a four panel display, my grids start getting wierd, some line are there and some are gone. I have to go to full view to see all of them.

Is there something I could do in LW settings or do I need to do something to my video card?

My system:

AMD Quadfour
4gb Ram
MS XP Pro x64
LW 8.5 32bit
ATI Radeon HD 3800 512mb

I hope I didn't miss anything

tHx

Philbert
04-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Do you mean how they appear and disappear as you zoom in and out?

borgru12
04-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes, it happens when I zoom in and out or even when I start working in one of the viewport (quad view). But does not do it when I'm in a single viewport.

I'm learning to do Architectural modeling so I rely in using the grid allot for measuring and to get my line straight. I just upgraded and build a new computer and have a very good video card. On my old computer I didn't have this trouble.

Hope you can help me and give some advice. Hope this make sense.

tHx for your reply!! :thumbsup:

tvtom
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
It might be an OpenGL glitch. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card. Also maybe try changing your screen resolution or refresh rate to something higher. Maybe your lines are too thin for your resolution. That's all I got.

borgru12
04-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Looks like this is something I'm going to have to live with. I have the latest Drivers and my resolution is set to the highest that the manufacture recommended for my lcd screen [email protected]

Well thanks guys.

Philbert
04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree it might be an OpenGL problem, but I just wanted to make sure you're not talking about something LightWave is supposed to do. Like I'm looking at my Modeler right nowand the grid size is at 5' (lower left corner of the screen). if I zoom in a little bit, the grid "doubles" it's number of lines and now each square is 2' across. If I zoom in further the number of grid lines doubles again and now each square is 1', etc. So of course if you zoom out you will have lines disappearing.

BTW if you're into architectural stuff you may like to look into LWCAD from www.wtools3d.com . It has a very nice measuring tool along with it's myriad of other features.

Giacomo99
04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
What Philbert said. If you're looking for standard grid functionality (like most CAD programs have) you're not gonna find it in Lightwave--the grid actually shifts scale (?!) as one zooms in and out. Try LWCAD--it apparently has a more rational grid system.

Philbert
04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Actually I can't think of any grid system specific to LWCAD. Just LW's own grid that we're discussing here.