PDA

View Full Version : Object Dissolve - Help Needed

Hurben
07-22-2003, 06:11 AM
Heya,
I've been putting together a corporate video for a new motor design and I have a piece of animation where the motor dissolves into a cross sectioned version, (hehe.. I just thought of a cooler way to do it! :D) But anyhow, when I dissolve, I get these artefacts (see below)
Any idea how I can reduce, or more importantly, eliminate these artefacts? For a smooth transition.
Thanks

Exper
07-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Seems to me like you have overlaping polygons... then you can find a work-around in an infinity number of ways! ;)
Try to scale just a very little the "cross sectioned" object, this one should work!

Bye.

Hurben
07-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Hey thanks Exper.. although trying to keep it to scale.. I guess making a smidgen smaller would do the trick.. Polygons are 2-Dimensional aren't they? :)

I actually have ended up creating a series of morphs for both the outer ring and the inner rings, so the object opens up into the cross-section, not sure if you can get what I mean..

So now the client at least has a choice.. cya later :)

iandavis
07-22-2003, 12:08 PM
I must do the same kinds of things with my animations and what I do is use LW to composite one rendered sequence with another.

Load your image sequences, then make one the background, and one the forground image (in scene/compositing)

click the 'E' to envelope foreground transparency and fade it in or out, or whatever. You can do that effect non-destructively! Not to mention you are able to do it with two still images! And spend all that extra time saved, on higher quality renders.

:)

Hurben
07-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Duh! (slaps himself on the head)

I could just do it in post.. I love these forums.. they get me looking at things from a different angle.. I was doing it this way.. why? I'm not sure but I just did it.. how easy is comping the 2 renders.. jeez! thanks.. hehe whew!

iandavis
07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
NP!

That's exactly what I did when a friend of mine suggested I solve my problem with compositing...

Duh! (head smakin)

a whole lot of head smakin goin on.

glad to be of help

cheers.

Mylenium
07-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Hi guys, I would have gone for the editing solution in the first place. Even the cheapest editing app can do it in (near) realtime. Also since using dissolves largely increases render times I rarely use it.

Don't hurt yourselves too much - it's a shame LW's comping abilities are not advertised more. If you come to think of it we could have a halfway usable comping part if they just brought everything together on a single panel and added a realtime preview for filters, color corrections etc..

Mylenium