PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to clone objects and adjust their surface parameters uniquely?

Xyla
04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I am working on an animation sequence where I have many, many copies of the same object. (They are actually music notes, so think of sheet music... lots of objects). I would like to animate the colors and other properties of the surfaces on these objects independently. I do not want to save a unique copy of the same object 30+ times just so I can do this. Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

SplineGod
04-23-2008, 09:58 PM
You can using James Willmotts Object ID Node.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81298

jameswillmott
04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Our site has changed, go to www.symmetrix3d.com/index.php?page=plugins.php

Xyla
04-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I am on a Mac, and there doesn't seem to be a version of this...
Any chance it will be ported? Or is there another solution?

GregMalick
04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
I am on a Mac, and there doesn't seem to be a version of this...
Any chance it will be ported? Or is there another solution?

Since your on the Mac - I guess that plugin isn't available.

Although cloning is faster - it's almost as fast as copy & paste in modeler.

TRY THIS. It should work

Paste the notes in separate layers using the same surface and then give all the points in each layer each a uniques weight-map value (using the same weight-map).

Then in the node editor use the weight-map as input to a gradient node and feed that into the color output. Set a different color in the gradient node for each weight-map value.

That should work.

But if you are using simple surfacing - you might as well stick with different surfaces - set one up and copy/paste it into the surfaces. Then just tweak the color values.

Object ID would be tons easier though......

jameswillmott
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Greg's idea about the weight maps is a good one.

Surrealist.
04-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I am working on an animation sequence where I have many, many copies of the same object. (They are actually music notes, so think of sheet music... lots of objects). I would like to animate the colors and other properties of the surfaces on these objects independently. I do not want to save a unique copy of the same object 30+ times just so I can do this. Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The weitghtmap idea makes since if you want to keep all of the mesh in the same layer but you would not be able to animate the notes independtly without bones since they will all need a unique animation center. But all of that along with weightmaps would be redundant and also more work than you need to do. Once you have copied the object into separate layers, problem solved. No need to save out the object several times or do anything else.

I really does not make any difference in the scene if it is one cloned object or many objects/layers. It still takes up the same amount of ram.

So the amount of time it would take you to copy this object into 30 layers and make each a separate surface name is going to be less work than saving 30 objects and less headache all around than using weightmaps.

Just go with the simple solution, a little more initial work but in the end a cleaner simpler scene and surfaces to work with. That will save you much more time in the long run.

tbennet
04-28-2008, 12:25 AM
The weitghtmap idea makes since if you want to keep all of the mesh in the same layer but you would not be able to animate the notes independtly without bones since they will all need a unique animation center. But all of that along with weightmaps would be redundant and also more work than you need to do. Once you have copied the object into separate layers, problem solved. No need to save out the object several times or do anything else.

I really does not make any difference in the scene if it is one cloned object or many objects/layers. It still takes up the same amount of ram.

So the amount of time it would take you to copy this object into 30 layers and make each a separate surface name is going to be less work than saving 30 objects and less headache all around than using weightmaps.

Just go with the simple solution, a little more initial work but in the end a cleaner simpler scene and surfaces to work with. That will save you much more time in the long run.

I think you missed the point...

Surrealist.
04-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Really? Wouldn't be the first time. :)

But I am pretty sure I on to the point:

Since your on the Mac - I guess that plugin isn't available.

Although cloning is faster - it's almost as fast as copy & paste in modeler.

.................................................. .................................................

But if you are using simple surfacing - you might as well stick with different surfaces - set one up and copy/paste it into the surfaces. Then just tweak the color values.

Object ID would be tons easier though......

I agree with simple surfaces on separate layers in one object as the way to go. :)

tbennet
04-28-2008, 03:17 AM
no you missed the point!
He wants to use one surface! but have different attributes for cloned objects. Like Mr. willmotts object id node makes possible... So yes, you missed the point.
The weight map is still not what he is going for, but its closer then what you are suggesting.

Surrealist.
04-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks for explaining. If you are trying to use just one surface, and that is the stated goal, a weight map would be closer for sure. I read the stated goal as using multiple surfaces on multiple objects, just as you would if they were not cloned.

If I misinterpreted that and one surface is what is needed here, OK, I missed the point entirely.

No worries :)

GregMalick
04-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Because the OBJECT-ID plugin isn't available for the Mac - cloning won't work. Multiple copies in different layers with the same surface and different weight-map values is a good alternative if there is going to be a lot of surface variation.

But it really depends on the project:

If there are only 6 or 7 colors (30+ might look a bit garish) that's what I would build in modeler and then clone what I needed in Layout. It all depends on whether each will have a different Lum/Spec/Bump etc. I imagine the notes will all have a "similar" surface. If not, nodes would be the way to go and weight-maps are the best (only?) alternative.

Hopefully I made myself clearer.