PDA

View Full Version : Morphing Between - Displacement Maps

We-Co
04-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi!

Iím animating a character for a client, and the character has a lot of muscle. The thing is, I modeled him in LightWave but made a displacement map in ZBrush. Everyone knows that when you flex your arm some sort of muscle should bulge, but the thing with this character is that his muscle is bulging all the time because of a certain displacement map.

Is there any way I can morph between displacement maps?

zardoz
04-23-2008, 02:59 AM
well, I guess that in nodal displacement you can use a gradient to blend two (or more) displacement maps with time.

miguel_dthings
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes, it's possible. Using nodes, use the typical node network to import your zbrush displacement (check William Vaughan tuts (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002)). But instead of loading a single displacement with an image node, use a Color Layer node (now that I think of it, maybe a scalar layer node will do too).

Place a 50% gray image at the bottom and add a layer for each displacement you want to use and set their blending mode to overlay, that's why you need the grey image at the bottom. That way they'll mix properly on top of each other, then on top of the bottom grey image. Now you just animate the opacity of each layer or link it via expressions to morphs, whatever.

Hope that helps.
miguel