PDA

View Full Version : Animating an extrusion!

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
How does one extrude in Layout. I want extrude in animation. I saw this great abstract 3d video on youtube called Black, it has some great extrusion animation, nice work. I just wondered how it could be done in LW?

tyrot
04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
dear sean

fertilizer plugin...make a quick flay search

best

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 05:27 PM
thx Tyrot, I'll check it out!

s

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Tyrot, I can't use it, I'm on a Mac!:thumbsdow

Silkrooster
04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Depending on the shape you should be able to use a morph.
Silk

Dexter2999
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Morph, or use a Clip Map to reveal the shape?

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Guys what do you mean?.......its a bit over my head.

Imagine a disc, and all you do is extrude it, left, right, up, down, but as an animation. So I would think you extrude it a bit, keyframe it, extrude it in another direction, keyframe it and so on.

I don't know, seems simple to me.........they need more choices like this in Layout!

tyrot
04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
dear sean

(every mac users MUST buy a PC ..you dont know that rule...!!)

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/animation/clip-map/index.html

check this out

BEST

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Tyrot! :thumbsup:

thekho
04-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Or u can use trailer plugin:- http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/displace.htm#

3D Kiwi
04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Download XSI modtool and use pointoven to take the animated extrusion back to lightwave. Its a very easy thing to do in xsi

Surrealist.
04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
How does one extrude in Layout. I want extrude in animation. I saw this great abstract 3d video on youtube called Black, it has some great extrusion animation, nice work. I just wondered how it could be done in LW?

Check out this video. (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/property_web.mov)

Rather than just move the object for a morph, you can simply move one end and that will be like an extrusion.

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Guys, if you just go to youtube and look up abstract 3d black, the video, called Black is the one to look at. Its great, and its an extrusion masterpiece. This is what I'm trying to figure out. I dont know the program it was made in. I'd post the vid here but its on YouTube, I can't download it!

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I think he uses Cinema 4D, but there has to be a way in LW! The problem is, you can do so much stuff in modeler, but in Layout you can't do a lot of the things for animation that you can in modeler for modeling. I just dont understand why it has to be so involved in layout to do things that in modeler are easy. Nulls and bones............ugghhh!

bassmanjam
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I'm with you Sean. The look you are after is a staple of motion graphics. Morphs aren't powerful enough (someone please prove me wrong) to handle something like this. The trailer plugin is a start, but still won't allow you to extrude in several directions at once or off of an already extruded side.

Surrealist.
04-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Guys, if you just go to youtube and look up abstract 3d black, the video, called Black is the one to look at. Its great, and its an extrusion masterpiece. This is what I'm trying to figure out. I dont know the program it was made in. I'd post the vid here but its on YouTube, I can't download it!

Can you please provide a link?

Etch
04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Heres a link to the video he's probably referring to.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SS5RJcUKpzo

jin choung
04-23-2008, 01:22 AM
according to http://youtube.com/watch?v=ERdouX-FoeM

it looks like he's using c4d.

anyhoo, any program where you can extrude and animate in the same environment, this is cake. it's just animating the extrude parameter...pfffft...

but yah, this is unfortunately not straightforward in lw.... gotta workaround....

but seriously not technically difficult... look around in flay... there's gotta be something for animating extrudes in layout.

jin

Surrealist.
04-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Heres a link to the video he's probably referring to.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SS5RJcUKpzo

Thanks. :)

Weepul
04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Tyrot, I can't use it, I'm on a Mac!:thumbsdow
Why not? There's a Mac version...
http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer/

If I remember right, it's CFM so you might have a bit of trouble using it if you're on an Intel Mac.

sean hargreaves
04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys,
Yes thats the video. Cool stuff, love it. I'm going to try Fertilizer, thanks Weepul!

Sean

sean hargreaves
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Weepul, that link you gave me to Fertilizer, I hit the Mac download and its all code.......what the????

Weepul
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
You need to save it as a file, however that's done in your web browser of choice. Typically, option-clicking on a link will download it instead of trying to load it in-browser.

Hopper
04-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Typically, option-clicking on a link will download it instead of trying to load it in-browser.
This is because your browser doesn't have a MIME type associated with the extension. By default it will treat it as text if it doesn't know what it is. This behavior is not OS specific, it's part of the HTML standard.

Create a MIME type for those files or do the ol' "Save As"...

sean hargreaves
04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi Guys,
I downloaded the Fertilizer plug in, but where do I put it? I placed it in the utility folder under plu-ins, but where is it in Layout?

What am I doing wrong now??

sean hargreaves
04-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Hmmmm...I dont know whats going on! I went to Add Plugins and its not showing up in the folder where I placed it. Its not thats its there and I can't choose it, its just NOT THERE!

What the.......????

toby
04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
uh, well, I can load it, and then it shows up in the Deform tab of object properties, but then it blinks out LW every time... poof! It was ported for LW 7.x...

Maybe I should read the instructions...

sean hargreaves
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too. lw 7.5. What a pain amongst a week of pains........

pooby
04-24-2008, 04:19 PM
A semi-crap, but-ok-for-certain-shots solution would be to reveal the object with a texture on the transparency giving the impression of extruding.

Check out on of the E4 idents on out site where there is a big logo made of cubes. This was done this way. It's not extruding on that example but it shows what you can do with just revealing stuff.

The only problem with using this for an extruding effect would be an 'open' end but if it's fast, you might not notice

www.bustykelp.com

tyrot
04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
dear pooby

i have checked your website..man what a cool work. congr. btw

BEST

sean hargreaves
04-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Pooby,

I saw the cubes, cool. Can you please extrapolate on the technique? I dont understand how a transparent object is revealing another object....I mean, its transparent.

Surrealist.
04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Not another object Sean. It is revealing itself. :)

Pooby:

That Wood Imp is stunning work. I mean really. Was that animated in LW? Looks like you used some kind of sculpt tool. Zbrush? What else was used to pull that off?

Thanks in advance,

pooby
04-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Sorry, I didn't explain very well.

You have an image map, black and white, (bottom half balck-top half white)that is applied to the transparency channel and animated to reveal the mesh.

In the cube example, I have a load of cubes in Modeller in the shape of the logo. I Keep this, as this is what the final shape must be.
However, this wont work as If I dragged a black and white image over it, it would just reveal them as a simple wipe.

I need the E4 to be the final shape, but also I have to make a version that contains all the cubes in a different order from base to top, in a line, so when I wipe over them with the transparency map, they will appear in a more random way.
This re-ordered one is the base, and I make the other, a morph.

Also, each cube needs to be collapsed to a singularity. So that either ALL the cube is fully transparent or opaque.

The reason for all this is that Layout uses the base for texturing, But you only ever view it as the morph. so you see an E4 logo, but the actaul base model is a line of cubes - each one collapsed down to one point (but not merged)

Does any of that make sense?

Anyway.. with an extruding effect, you could make your base object straight so you can drag a texture over it, then on a morph, make it an interesting shape, then when the texture is animated it'll look like extrusion.

Thanks for the comments about my work.
The wood Imp was made using LW for all rendering related stuff, but XSI for rigging and animation.
I did start the project in LW a few years ago, but I could not rig him to an acceptable standard, so moved to XSI.
Most of the displacement stuff was made with 'photoshop'!.. Although I'd use Zbrush next time.
There's a thread on this.. see my signature

Surrealist.
04-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks, I'll check out the thread.

Ztreem
04-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has mention the old but simple morph technique, so I'll mention it.

here's a quick tutorial. I hope it can help someone, enjoy!

sean hargreaves
04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks Pooby, it might be a bit over my head, but I'll have a go.

Xstreem, thanks, I'll try that way as well.

Sean

sean hargreaves
04-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I mean, Ztreem!

We-Co
04-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Sean

As you may know there are also streamers in the siggraph. I don't know if it could be the same result as you want but just another alternative.

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2007/index.php

bassmanjam
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Great tip Pooby. That technique seems like it could have quite a few uses.

toby
04-26-2008, 02:24 PM
OMG! Poobs! The wood Imp is outstanding. More realistic than most feature film characters.

Surrealist.
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Does any of that make sense?

Yes it makes perfect sense. That little explanation was full of a couple of great tricks.

Thanks. :)

Sean, if you need anymore help with that, it is really not that hard, very simple actually. Just tell us what part you did not get and it can be explained.

archijam
04-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Let's see what you're up to, Sean ... ;) I'm trying to imagine the scene you are working on with all the questions you've been asking ..

..it's an elephant, right?

sean hargreaves
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Archijam, I'll post something when I get it sorted. :thumbsup:

archijam
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Curiouser and curiouser ... :thumbsup:

pooby
04-27-2008, 02:49 PM
OMG! Poobs! The wood Imp is outstanding. More realistic than most feature film characters.

Thanks for the compliment.

Philbert
04-29-2008, 05:15 AM
I was going to suggest making a morph, then bending it with bones. For example:
1. make a long cylinder with a good number of segments.
2. make a morph that shrinks the cylinder along it's length.
3. In layout make a bone chain for the cylinder.
4. Use the bones to bend the cylinder.
5. adjust the morph to 100% at frame 0 so that the cylinder is now very small.
6. go to another frame and adjust the morph back to 0%.
Now it will extrude along the curved bone chain.