PDA

View Full Version : Max 2009 has indeed a better DWG importer, and...

Mitja
04-22-2008, 09:41 AM
... a much better obj exporter!!! Really a nice surprise!

Exporting obj from max was always a pain in the butt since, once imported to LW, your object had only one surface. Now every material assigned in autocad produces a new surface in the obj file. No more surface re-assigning!

So thanks to Cresshead for his help in this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83035) thread where he told me to download 2Gigs of stuff without the certainity that this would help somehow. :thumbsup:

Jure
04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh realy? I have exported from max9/2008 many times and my surfaces were preserved...

Mitja
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Oh realy? I have exported from max9/2008 many times and my surfaces were preserved...

Well, hmmm, at this point I don't know what to say... I just tryed with 9 and it makes everything the same surface - with 2009: different surfaces.
Anyway, the exporting process is much nicer: colored status bars ipd!!! :D

And btw, mr Cresshead, (thanks to Jure's objection) I found that even max9 can import correctly dwg! But, since the obj exporter is better, I think you could be forgiven anyway.

Jure
04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe it's got something to do with how you export objects. I usually attach objects together and as long as they have different surfaces assigned they get exported correctly. LW will read it as single objects but surfaces for different parts get preserved.

Mitja
04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
...as long as they have different surfaces assigned they get exported correctly..
Right. In fact, before max2009, I had to attach a different material for each layer (in max): this way it exported fine.
Now, I just import dwg and export obj.

cheers

cresshead
04-22-2008, 11:55 AM
glad it worked out smooth for you!