PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave pipelines forum is this needed or just to much?

prometheus
04-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Yo!

I did a small word compilation based on newteks forum structure, showing some of the 3d applications that perhaps could be useful regarding pipelines.
such as lw-zbrush, lw-Maya etc where discussions about file transfer, converting and such should be.

I think itīs around 21 different applications.(theres room for more,suggestions
welcomed)

Maybe there should be a Pipeline specific forum, to make it easy finding the specific pipeline issue one is looking for.

Right know thereīs topics spread all over, and I believe thereīs specific forums for digital fusion and vue d.

why not put all that under one group called lightwave
Pipelines?

so heres a word compilation, did I miss something important?.:)

so what say you?

cresshead
04-21-2008, 01:15 PM
that would be brilliant!...i move stuff from lightwave and to lightwave with:-
3dsmax
xsi
vue
zbrush
combustion
tv paint

i see it's a word file....i don't have office on my pc's
can you save a a pdf?

prometheus
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeez..I missed Xsi, how could I do that? itīs a big one.
and combustion to..

well.. there will be more of the big ones I missed surely:)

aha..have to check that up..he..word to pdf.

cresshead
04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
you got houdini, cinema4d, messiah, blender, and mudbox in there?

cresshead
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
can you strip out ther images and save as a .rtf so that word pad can open it?

Steamthrower
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Here's the list he made:

LW-Zbrush
LW-Mudbox
LW-Modo
LW-Rhino
LW-Sketchup
LW-Maya
LW-Houdini
LW-3dmax
LW-Quidam
LW-Poser
LW-Vue
LW-Terragen 2
LW-Motionbuilder
LW-Endorphin
LW-Massive

LW-Photoshop
LW-Aftereffects
LW-Particle illusion
LW-Fusion
LW-Boujou
LW-syntheyes

I would add Shake, XSI, 3D Brush, and Silo to those among others.

prometheus
04-21-2008, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=inigo07;690119]Here's the list he made:

Thanks for that, yeah ofcourse blender..forgot that one to.
I will update the whole word list later on Im sure thereīs more to come, such as 3d coat..etc.
bodypaint.
Maybe the list should be restricted somhow, not sure..it might be very long and comprehensive.
It should be manageable inside the forum for easy viewing I think.

archijam
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I would add FormZ. Used alot in Europe, and also with several of the LW forum members. Has some nifty functionalities that supplement LW well, especially for archviz and topo models.

Steamthrower
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Perhaps it would be more logistically feasible by having one subforum for ALL other apps. How many people will go to a "Massive subforum" or "Silo subforum" just to check up on it?

prometheus
04-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Perhaps it would be more logistically feasible by having one subforum for ALL other apps. How many people will go to a "Massive subforum" or "Silo subforum" just to check up on it?

yeah I was thinking of just one subforum for all called pipeline, but Im not really sure that would be easy reading, I would prefer having subgroups for the most applications where you instantly know where to go when you need to find out about import or export for example, I wouldnīt like to scroll through the whole pipeline forum or do a search in that forum among all other topics.

simply put thing where it belongs, if I need advice on how to import models from sketchup I now where to go directly and I would have it more sorted.

perhaps the pipeline list would be much to long for viewing directly at the forums main menu, but that could perhaps be made in somekind of expanding tree list, showing all the applications in subgroups.

Iīm not sure if this is what you mean thou?

Matt
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe add SolidWorks to that list for all the visualisation / engineering / product design people!

prometheus
04-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe add SolidWorks to that list for all the visualisation / engineering / product design people!

Yepp I think solidworks will qualify, probably Catia and pro-engineer to even
thou these three are more enginering stuff, Im not sure thou if many people use that workflow? using solidworks to lightwave or Catia to lightwave for example, but I know that a lot of people here in sweden use those applications and many companies are looking for people who knows these apps.

I guess there have to be some interest or a certain amount of user basis
for example solidworks-lightwave pipeline, My thought about this forum topic
isnīt about covering every application out there, but to cover the most used or popular applications that people and companies are using together with Lightwave...And future possibilities like massive the crowd system that now goes to some sort of public school and has become standard for this kind of stuff, would be nice if there will be an option for a pipeline to lightwave aswell.

Ztreem
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
i see it's a word file....i don't have office on my pc's
can you save a a pdf?

Time to download Open Office, it's free. :)

Limbus
04-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Such a Forum would be nice. Maybe we can start with just 1 Lightwave Pipeline Forum and then add special forums as the need arises.

Cheers, Florian

archijam
04-22-2008, 01:43 AM
It's a good idea to have 1 Forum. One 'sticky' sub category could cover plugins required, such as shaxam's sketchup export and Maya2LW. One thing which is not well documented is what they transfer, and what they don't (eg. cameras lights etc.)

Speaking of Maya2LW, in the latest HDRI mag there is an article on bringing MDD files to Modo using the plugin for animation...

I myself always had trouble with Maya exports .. horrible :)

Cageman
04-22-2008, 04:47 AM
A good idea indeed!

I'll probably cover Maya <-> LightWave workflow in an upcomming video. Don't know when that will happen though, but it will be focused around PointOven.

prometheus
04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
hey mate cageman!
Thanks for all your tutorials, I havenīt followed them through completly, but I will, they serve the LW community well indeed.

Unfortunatly I havenīt had the time, and having some hardware struggles and acount struggles trying to do my page, so Iīm not sure when I will start doing tutes.

Well what are Newt waiting for?just put the forums up and some of us can start to fill in pipeline topics to serve us all Newt included.

My guess is that the Maya to Lightwave pipe will be most populated, followed by zbrush perhaps, If they put it up:)

Michael

geothefaust
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I'd certainly like to see a dedicated pipeline work flow forum, that would be great. I'm glad you suggested this prometheus, it makes perfect sense. :)

LW_Will
04-23-2008, 10:10 AM
The workflow I'm working on is a Daz3D -> LW -> Motion Builder -> LW.
And I'm pretty pleased with what I've gotten out of that flow, but now I've heard about COLLADA as a format that will allow the transfer of the morphs, which would be very nice.

Problem is, I don't know if the Daz3D is actually exporting the morphs correctly. I can't even get the import to blender to work correctly.

Is it possible that the Daz3D exporter is not working correctly on purpose?

prospector
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Maby here ?

http://www.crackedlens.net/forum/index.php

be the first

Limbus
04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Maybe the Lightwave Wiki is the right place for different pipeline tutorials.
http://www.lightwiki.com/Main_Page

Cheers

adhesiveX
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Brilliant! I would like to see a streamlined LW2Aura pipeline.

Thomas M.
04-24-2008, 01:19 AM
This forum already go to many different subjects. Add one for pipeline, but don't dare to put all these single applications up. Nobody will have a look anyway.

bjornkn
04-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I'd go for a single subforum too. There are just too many apps around, and you haven't even started adding renderers like Kray, Fry, Maxwell, Vray etc..
And what about dwg/dxf, Archicad, DDS (very common here in Norway for 3D houses - http://www.dds-cad.net/ ) and all the other CAD programs? And converters like PolyTrans, Deep Exploration, AccuTrans etc?
Besides, many of the pipeline techniques may be general?

prometheus
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
This forum already go to many different subjects. Add one for pipeline, but don't dare to put all these single applications up. Nobody will have a look anyway.

I disagree, as can be seen on this thread already, it surely seems that people
would look at those different forums.
an expanding subforum under the pipeline wouldnīt make it uneasy reading and it wouldnīt make the main forum cluttered since they are under the pipeline main thread.

I wouldnīt like to scroll trough all topics in One pipeline forum to find exactly what I am looking for, sure..thereīs a search option, but really, it can be annoying finding the exact topic by search, since there can be so many similar topics and not exactly truly related.

imagine we have 200 topics of maya to lw and then 400 maya to zbrush and 200 lw to xsi and all the other stuff, all lined up in on forum, it wouldnīt be
easy browsing.
as I stated before..put things were they belong.

I really donīt se a problem with putting up most the applications.
for viewers that enter the main Newtek discussions they would only see
the forum LW Pipelines..until they click on it.

how many and wich applications there should be is Mainly a decision of Newtek and of course the users by a poll.

edit. ohh yeah already to many subjects? well vue topics can be reduced in to the pipeline forum an zbrush to.

Michael