PDA

View Full Version : Techniques to speed up LW?

RTSchramm
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM
What are some of the ways that I can speed up Modeler and Layout when using high polygon objects? I'm getting a lot of lag when I use the Camulk-Clark subdivision surfaces.

Rich

3D Kiwi
04-20-2008, 11:19 PM
As far as i know cc subds are very slow, best to use lightwaves normal subds.

Hopfully they fix this soon.

multipass
04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
in the display properties under the interface tab turn on simple wireframe edges and points. that usually speeds up my modeler display quite a bit.

Ztreem
04-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Go into general options and set the cc level down, I usually have it set to 1 or 2 it's about the same as 2-4 on a normal subpatch object. CC is a little slower but not as slow as people tend to think here at the forum, depends of what you do, but I almost only use CC's when modeling. I've done a whole car and a whole interior with CC's without any problems.

Ztreem
04-21-2008, 01:24 AM
One more thing, it's critical is to set the openGL to multitexture, only use GLSL if you do surfacing and need to see textures and stuff.

Costanel
04-21-2008, 01:56 AM
And for external settings, set all your setting of the vid card as low as possible.
Sometimes disabling Vertical Sync gives a 10% speed boost.

SplineGod
04-21-2008, 01:59 AM
In layout use low poly standins when possible, use a low bounding box threshold, turn off show motion paths, turn off show keys, close the graph editor. Shrink your LW window.

CC SubDs produce alot more polys at the same subpatch levels as standard SubDs. So keep the subpatch levels low when using them.

3DGFXStudios
04-21-2008, 06:58 AM
buy a new computer!

Sorry couldn't resist

SplineGod
04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I was going to suggest that as well :)

hrgiger
04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, you could use XSI. But if that doesn't work....

Is your high polygon object one piece? Because you can always work with seperate pieces and use simplified placeholder geometry in it's place while you work with a higher rez version.

Also, can't you turn off the nag message about only using 3 and 4 point polygons with subpatches? Because I would say use regular sub-d's while your modeling, but then when you're finished you could switch back to cc's. Sub-d's are remarkably faster then CC's.

theo
04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Hiding geometry and creating meshes on the positive side of the axises is par for the course with CC building in Modeler.

hrgiger
04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, hiding geometry does not seem to speed up the interface in Lightwave. Lightwave acts as through the geometry is still visible.

theo
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately, hiding geometry does not seem to speed up the interface in Lightwave. Lightwave acts as through the geometry is still visible.

I've noticed a slight increase in mesh manipulation speed if the object is high poly like a human body.

If you are tug and pulling, for example, facial features and have to manipulate while shortcutting around the model's head hiding the rest of the body does seem to help a bit.

Could be psychological, I'll admit, since I have no way of proving the accuracy of this either way.

RTSchramm
04-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. All of the suggestions did dramatically speed up LW.

For the record, I'm using a Dell Precision Workstation 690 with 8 GB of ECC memory, Two dual core 3.19 Ghz xeons, Nvida 8800 GTX, Two 160 GB Raptors in a Raid 0 and a 500 GB backup drive. My System is about a year old. I did have a Nvidia 4400 quadro FX, but it wasn't as fast as the 8800 GTX when editing objects in real time.

Rich

Chilton
04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
VBOs and Smooth Shading in modeler. Don't work in flat shading mode unless you have to.

-Chilton

theo
04-22-2008, 06:38 AM
VBOs and Smooth Shading in modeler. Don't work in flat shading mode unless you have to.

-Chilton

Yes, Smooth Shading seems to be very fluid with CC's. Typically, I always have at least one view set to this style.

RTSchramm
04-23-2008, 12:22 AM
I had VBO selected, but what to you mean by "Smooth Shading in modeler"?

Rich

Ztreem
04-23-2008, 01:40 AM
In the viewport you can have different shading modes, like wireframe, sketch, flat shade, smooth shade, texture. Set the perspective one to smooth shade or texture don't leave it at default flat shade. I think that's what Chilton mean.

RTSchramm
04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
OK, I thought so, (thought maybe there was some other new option at first) but I like to see the geometry when I'm editing it. I been using wire frame mode.

Rich