PDA

View Full Version : Editing ClothFX

drfoley
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey guys,

I just finished up a character animation in Motionbuilder and Merged it back into LW without any problems. I applied the animation to a caped Roman soldier in Layout. I then ran ClothFX on his cape. He is simply walking down a dusty street with the Cloth behaving for the most part except for 2 areas that like to "jump".

Is there anything I can do to Edit this Jumpiness? Overall the Calculation is fine except in these 2 areas near the Fixed points.

I know there is an Edit tab but I don't know how to go about Editing these points. Would I have to take individual points on the Cloth object and Keyframe them to prevent them from jumping around?

If so, wont that be hard to do if you have to render the scene everytime you make an adjustment?

Thanks for your help.

Surrealist.
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah. That is the way it works. Just click on the Edit tool and set the Edit Frame to current or after. After would be more intuitive with how you would normally animate.

Now I have not played with it too much but what little I have done with it as led me to believe that it is not an "animation" fix. You are not animating with this tool. Does that make any sense? I think it is best used to simply fix a frame/point or two where the cloth goes through an object. As far as a larger area of the cloth object that might be bouncing around or popping I would go for another cloth setting or add a bone or something that you can animate a wider area and number of frames with curves etc.

Another thing you can do is use a low res object to calculate the cloth and then link that with meta link. That might also give you better results. William Vaughn has a tutorial on that in this section. Otherwise try adjusting the substructure see if that tightens it up.

SplineGod
04-21-2008, 02:01 AM
I would also use a standin cape with maybe less geometry in the problem areas and metalink the real cape to that and/or use weight maps to influence things like spring, weight, hold/sub structures etc. Use geometry that has nice evenly placed quads.
Try using collisions spheres parented to bones rather then actual geometry.

drfoley
04-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your thoughts on this guys.

I'm actually surprised that it doesn't look half bad overall. I tried to make the Cloth object as low rez as possible. Its a cape that is attached to some shoulder armor by 2 clasps. Just below the Fixed points at these clasps are where these 2 problem areas are.

Splinegod: I dont know how I would reduce the polygon count in these areas because they are near the 2 ends of the cloth that attach to the shoulder armor. To decrease the poly count would disrupt the poly flow. And yes they are all Quads.

Is Newtek going to fix this Jumpyness in the ClothFX that many people are complaining about?