PDA

View Full Version : MPEG 2 Output Files

mthamilton
02-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Is there a way to save files as MPEG2 format rather than AVI? If not, what utilities does someone have experience with that they recommend for doing this conversion so I can burn my output files on DVD?

Thanks,
Mike Hamilton

pgrimpo
02-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Most here use TMPGenc to do their MPEG-2 files. There is an RTV plugin for TMPGenc so you can export your RTV's from TED, and then send them to the encoder one at a time, or batch. Do a search at VideoToasterNT.com, or on the old Toaster Forum archives to find more articles. Or pick up NewTek Pro magazine where there's a decent article on the workflow most are using.

TMPGenc (~$50) http://www.tmpgenc.com
RTV Plug-In (Free) http://www.toastersupport.com/nukenew/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=10

-Grimps

ted
02-23-2003, 02:54 AM
I'm really, really hoping, T3 has MPEG options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Peterson
02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
I'm really, really hoping, T3 has MPEG options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted, only if it is equal to the TMPGenc encoder! I've seen the pinnacle, matrox, storm rendered dvds and I own FCP and it's encoder and frankly none of them rival the TMPGenc encoder. So unless Newtek can do it as well as TMPGenc does, I'd rather see them concentrate their efforts on other things like a firewire/DV input in TED being native instead of using a 3rd party program.

ted
02-24-2003, 11:26 AM
I agree. Do it right or don't do it at all. But I doubt NewTek would give us a half baked solution.
I'd love to be able to do this without 3rd party solutions.

takabanana
02-26-2003, 11:48 AM
personally, i think NewTek doesnt need to worry about MPEG2 output from TED, unless they can make a deal to somehow link-in TMPGEnc (like a plug-in) or license it... because the speed and quality of TMPGEnc is great. if NewTek spent time putting that into TEd, and the quality and/or speed isnt as good as TMPGEnc, then i would never even use it.

besides, TMPGEnc (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html) is affordable enough (only $48!). Why should they spend their (many hours of development) time trying to re-invent the wheel? TMPGEnc can only get better too..

i would prefer they concentrate on TEd-specific stuff... like multi-clip property changes (letting you change properties on multiple clips in TEd), and a better (friendlier to use as well as better quality) CG...

-t

Faraz
02-26-2003, 02:00 PM
I agree, but I want thighter intergation with TMPEG.

ScorpioProd
02-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Definately agree, stronger integration with TMPGEnc would be the way to go.

Newtek has plenty of other things to work on instead of trying to build something from scratch that's better than TMPGEnc, I don't see that happening for a while. And I see no need for it.

Nothing wrong with TMPGEnc being a "third-party product".

ted
02-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Good points. I'd hate to see NewTek kill R&D time for nothing, but would love to see it if it's reasonable for them. The fact that Toaster can do so much, is what makes it so right for so many companies.

What's the time involved to convert, say a :30 second commercial?
Also how big would the file be at the best resolution, or acceptable resolution, (debatable I know, but don't want garbage ya know)? Some of my clients have a 5 meg limit on e-mail.

Just today I had a client ask me to e-mail him an MPEG of his spot.
How timely.

takabanana
02-26-2003, 06:44 PM
well, i just used TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus for a few RTV files on Sunday..

i created a bunch of 6MB/sec MPEG2 files from RTV and WAV files.

on my setup, which is a Dual-AthlonXP 2000+ (Tyan TigerMP S2460) with 1GB ECC DDR RAM, it's about a 1:1.5 speed ratio.

as in, a 2 minute RTV clip would take about 3 minutes to render.

pretty fast i'd say.

-t

Paul Lara
02-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by takabanana
i just used TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus for a few RTV files

...pretty fast i'd say.

Yes, and NewTek is going to work to make your workflow faster than you've ever imagined, Taka.

ted
02-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Paul, I need to take you out of the country and conduct an interview with you!;)

Paul Lara
02-27-2003, 05:49 AM
Hey, Tijuana's "out of country". :D

randallstu
02-28-2003, 09:25 PM
I know this is a simple question but I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I have a 1.5 hour long program with a few clips and many songs. I want to use the TMpeg program to encode to MPEG 2 for a DVD. I know there is not an option to output directly from the timeline in TED (wish there were) for MPEG 2.

Is it true that I have to output to a .rtv file of the whole project first? Am I loosing quality because I am already digitized to uncompressed .rtv files for the project? Is this outputting to a .rtv uncompressed file of my project in real time? Is there a way to do this any other way.

Then I know I will bring the project into TMpeg to encode to MPEG 2. I found a setting in TMpeg for multiplexing. Do I use this?

Thanks all

RandallStu

takabanana
02-28-2003, 09:55 PM
With T[3], just announced, coming out soon (April maybe), you can play back (or use) the whole TED project from ANY application that takes AVI files without rendering (using a "wrapper"). So you would be able to edit in TED. then encode the whole project (without rendering the whole thing first) using TMPGEnc...

But currently with T[2], yes, you have to render out the whole project as an RTV (uncompressed) before converting it into MPEG2 by using utilities as TMPGEnc.

You won't lose quality (it wont look any worse than what you see in TED) if you output to RTV, since it is uncompressed... there is no re-compression involved from the timeline.

-taka

randallstu
03-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks. This avi wrapper, do you know how it would work? Now the files we encode to in TED are .rtv files. I don't understand how a program like Premier could read them.

RandallStu

Paul Lara
03-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by randallstu
Thanks. This avi wrapper, do you know how it would work?

From the File | Save As... menu in ToasterEdit, you would choose AVI as the file type. Literally in a second or three, your entire project is saved an avi file, but this avi is teensy...maybe 250k.

You can now load that AVI into anything that reads avi files (Windows Media Explorer, Media Encoder, Tsunami, Premiere, AfterEffects, Boris, etc).

It's quite nice, since you no longer have to duplicate files in order to get a contiguous file for DVD authoring.

Because it's 'wrapped', when the application begins to load this avi, the wrapper merely points it to the source clips, whether they be JPEG, Targa, PNG, RTV, MPEG-1, MJPEG, etc.

No muss...no fuss.

Brian Peterson
03-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Paul,

Say I save the avi file, manipulate the project in After Effects and then save the alterations to that AVI wrapper, in After Effects. How do I then put it back into TED for further work?

Or do you have to to render the project into a clip from the 3rd party program and then pull that back into TED?

The only bad thing about this, is I now have to upgrade my dual P3... sigh... :D

Brian Peterson

Paul Lara
03-01-2003, 02:08 PM
I haven't played around with it in AE, Brian.
I'll let ya know.

Scott Bates
03-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Because it's 'wrapped', when the application begins to load this avi, the wrapper merely points it to the source clips, whether they be JPEG, Targa, PNG, RTV, MPEG-1, MJPEG, etc.

Which means of course, that you want to make sure you DO NOT delete those original source files or the AVI wrapper will not have anything to point to. Makes sense when you think about it, but if you don't put the brain in gear before putting the finger on delete key .........