PDA

View Full Version : Shadow control

pdp editor
04-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I cant seem to find the controls for the intensity control of shadows. where are they located? It seems that all the light in my scene are set to max.

Surrealist.
04-19-2008, 09:17 PM
For the overall shadow itself, a quick and dirty way is to just change the shadow color setting to a shade lighter.

But shadow intensity can be affected by many things not the least of which is the strength of the other lights in the scene on the area in question.

The you can get more subtle effects depending on which light you use. In th case of the Area Light this will change by its relative size and distance from the object. In the case of Spotlights you can adjust the shadow soft edge angle.

Danner
10-13-2011, 07:28 AM
To have full control on the strenght of the shadow you can duplicate your light, make the clone non shadow casting and play with the intensities of both.

10-14-2011, 09:45 AM
The shadow cast by a light is by default (in LW as in the real world) where the light doesn't hit.
So if there is only one light source (no general or GI) then anything in the shadow is black unless self illuminated or reflecting something.
LW has for some time supplied a cheat for silly effects, for people in one heck of a hurry, (or who can't be bothered to learn to light) that lets you specify a shadow colour.
It is light that is falling on nothing else in the scene, and will almost always look just plain wrong.
If you really can't do without then far better to have a duplicate light with shadows turned off as suggested - balance the 2 brighnesses to add up to the same as your original single light.

10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
PS if its' just a directional light then try a dome light instead - start with about 20 degrees.

Sensei
10-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I cant seem to find the controls for the intensity control of shadows. where are they located? It seems that all the light in my scene are set to max.

On http://www.trueart.pl you can find HeadLight plug-in which adds area light in the same position and direction as camera, so it's brightening whole scene seen from camera. Set some 5-10% intensity, and render will be looking much better.

toby
10-16-2011, 02:38 AM
LW has for some time supplied a cheat for silly effects, for people in one heck of a hurry, (or who can't be bothered to learn to light)
Christ, have some respect for others. Your style of lighting is not the only kind that's valid.

If you really can't do without then far better to have a duplicate light with shadows turned off as suggested - balance the 2 brighnesses to add up to the same as your original single light.
It's much easier and also more flexible to use shadow color, that's what it's for.