PDA

View Full Version : Why would new DVDs of a TV show have this...?

Jim_C
04-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi All,

I recently bought a DVD set of the first 4 seasons of 'The Wire' off eBay.

The Buy it Now price was cheaper then any ever sold and he actually accepted offers and I got it for even less than that.

I was a little leary, but the package arrived brand new never opened just like off the shelf from Best Buy.

I did notice however in a few places on the box and on the back of the DVDs is Chinese writing AND...

Each DVD has a spot right at the hub where someone has physically put a small gouge in the disk. All are in the same spot and all look exactly the same. It's like someone took a tiny chisel and chunked out a small piece of the DVD.

I attached apic but it's a little hard to see.

So... what is that? Is it some copy protection that is bypassed by physically altering the disks? Or.... ????

It's on every disk in the same spot same gouge....

Oh and they all play fine.

thanks
just something odd I was wondering about....

nnJim

RudySchneider
04-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Can you say "pirated DVD," boys and girls?

Jim_C
04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Can you say "pirated DVD," boys and girls?

Yea, I figured as much......
thanks for the info....

Same packaging and DVD printing as the Wal Mart version tho.

What does that little gouge do?

Wickster
04-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I've seen some of those...try playing it off your computer or try copying it (for experiments sake and not for piracy). I notice that when I tried to access a DVD through my computer and it has that gouge on it, it has a hard time reading it. It could just be a coincidence or a physical copy protection scheme.

Wickster
04-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Also, chinese writing are not always usually pirated versions, many of them are but some are just Hong Kong or Chinese release of an imported movie which is significantly cheaper than their domestic counterpart. Most of Hong Kong DVDs are region free too which lets you watch them on any DVD players.

At the same time, buying a Japanese or Korean version of an imported movie will cost you almost 2X as much as their domestic price here. That's because they redo the packaging and include an insane amount of extra printed materials like brochures, postcards, pictures, booklets and whatever. Whereas Chinese or Hong Kong releases are usually just a DVD case with cover and the DVD.

I order a lot asia films (through YesAsia.com though and not eBay) and that's what I've noticed lately. :)

Surrealist.
04-20-2008, 02:46 AM
It could also be just a flaw in the manufacturing. Something that one of the machines along the production pipeline does if it falls out of calibration or improperly set up or something. So these could be some kind of rejects or returned from a distributor or something. And somebody has a line on it. Just a wild guess.

Jim_C
04-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I've seen some of those...try playing it off your computer or try copying it (for experiments sake and not for piracy). I notice that when I tried to access a DVD through my computer and it has that gouge on it, it has a hard time reading it. It could just be a coincidence or a physical copy protection scheme.

Well.. it's funny you mention that. :hey:
I ripped almost all the episodes to individual H264 files to put on my home server so I can watch throughout the house on the various PCTV's.

They all ripped fine using good ole DVDfab Platinum except for one DVD from each season. DVD 2 for seasons 1 and 2 and DVD 3 for season 3 and 4 would not rip.

Yes.. I guess that is piracy (bad me)... but the copies are never leaving my hard drive...

It could also be just a flaw in the manufacturing. Something that one of the machines along the production pipeline does if it falls out of calibration or improperly set up or something. So these could be some kind of rejects or returned from a distributor or something. And somebody has a line on it. Just a wild guess.

Could be.. They all play just fine so in the big picture it's all good I guess.
Oh.. and the package itself did come straight from China via USPS.

Thanks for all the input from everybody....

FANTASTIC SHOW!!! In my opinion, by far the best cop drama ever made and maybe one of the best TV series ever.

mattclary
04-20-2008, 08:54 AM
CDs and DVDs spin really fast. Little imperfections like that can cause some instability I think. maybe even leading to catastrophic failure. I would make backup copies then never use the discs again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_shattering

Jim_C
04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
CDs and DVDs spin really fast. Little imperfections like that can cause some instability I think. maybe even leading to catastrophic failure. I would make backup copies then never use the discs again.

Yea.. good point Matt thanks.
Except for the 4 dvds mentioned above, all episodes have been ripped to h264 files and the dvds now sit in the box in the closet.
I'll have to do the 4 non-compliant DVDs the ole fashion way using VT and a DVD player. Capture/convert.

lesterfoster
04-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I think it is CD rot. I think it is a air bubble that formed during manufacturing. This is going to let air into the layers of the CD or DVD. After air reaches the data areas of the CD or DVD, the CD or DVD will become unreadable. I have some CDís and DVDís with this on them. The oneís with it on the data areas are not readable in those areas.

My suggestion is to back them up while you have the chance.

Some link's
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24797
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_rot
http://www.rdrop.com/~half/General/CDRot/CDRot.html

Jim_C
04-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Lester,

thanks for the input. Backup is in progress
All of the gouges are on the hub not the data area, and upon further inspection the gouge is definitely man made and definitely meant to scratch off something from the hub.

On a few of them there are still some characters showing that the gouge did not cut out. It looks like either pieces of chinese writing or possibly a logo of some kind.

Maybe region coding???

Tzan
04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Well you beat me to it. I was going to guess that they were removing a logo :)

Etch
04-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Speaking of instability, I once had a cd disintegrate as it was spinning in my drive. Had to take apart the drive and get all the little pieces. Thankfully the drive still worked after that, but it still made me nervous.