PDA

View Full Version : Pipe or string random bending!

sean hargreaves
04-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi guys,

How do I make a pipe or piece of string that curves randomly? Is there a way to avoid using the disc tool and constantly choosing polygons and bending? Is there a way to use a Spline?

Sean

COBRASoft
04-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey,

I think the Rail Curve command can do this very good. You can find this command under the 'multiply' tab -> Clone. You need a rail (spline) in the bakground layer and you must position your object (flat disc) at the origin of that 'rail'.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Scazzino
04-19-2008, 12:56 PM
LWCAD does a very nice job of extruding shapes along curves. I use it for curbs along roads, molding on buildings etc... It would do a good job of string or rope as well...

sean hargreaves
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Hmmm.....its not working, the Rail clone just multiplies the disc. I need it to follow the spline but follow it like an extrude, you know what I mean?

s

sean hargreaves
04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh wait.....BRILLIANT!!!! I just found RAIL EXTRUDE under Extend in the Multiply tab. It works great. :D

evenflcw
04-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Magic Bevel is also good if you'd like to do it interactively by freehand. Once you've learned all the different operation modes and settings it's quite fast to work with. And if you need a matching spline, just set Scale to 0% temporarily, hit copy, scale back up again, quit the tool, paste to a new layer, merge points, kill duplicate polygons, select a point and then use expand selection to select the rest in order and create a spline. And your left with extruded geometry and spline(s) to match. Sounds like many steps, but it's pretty fast and obvious.

sean hargreaves
04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Thx everyone! :thumbsup: