PDA

View Full Version : Copy and paste UVs from map to map question...

gareee
04-19-2008, 12:08 PM
I ended up with UVs on more then one map. How do I copy the uvs from one map, and paste them in another map?

I tried selecting them, copying and pasteing them, but they never showed up on the one target map.

IMI
04-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I used to know the answer to this...
I think if you search UV's here, you can find it... I know there was a thread not too long ago.
But for future reference, to easily avoid the problem, say you have a character and you want a separate head and body UV. UV map either one first, and after that's done, if you UV map the other part(s) using the same name as your first map, the UV coordinates will be placed atop the existing one. Then it's just a matter of moving them around so they're not overlapping, or if they have separate surface names, it doesn't matter if they are. Unless you want to use it in ZBrush, then you'd have problems.
You can also fix a multi-UV object by saving as LWO and converting to OBJ with Accutrans or Deep Exploration, which would result in a layered UV map - multiple UV maps layered into one in the 0-1 UV space.

gareee
04-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, same here.. i used to remember how, but for some reason it's typically a cryptic solution.

Why there's no detail dropdown so you can select poly's uv map is beyond me. Copying uvs from one map to another should be very simple, and uv copy and pste really should work between different uv maps.

IMI
04-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Y'know, I want to say it's a matter of renaming the one you want to paste to the name of the one you want to paste onto, but that doesn't sound right. Although, I do remember it being something cryptic and non-intuitive like that.
Heh, I should remember this, because I asked this same question, but later came across the better way to avoid it to begin with.

gareee
04-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh, I know how to avoid it.. but I was using the plg tool, and forgot to check which map it was going to unwrap to.

This is just another of those really stupid things that should have been fixed long ago in lightwave.

I already just rebuilt that mesh from scratch.. that was actually easier then rooting around trying to find out how you fix something like this.. LOL!

IMI
04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh, I know how to avoid it.. but I was using the plg tool, and forgot to check which map it was going to unwrap to.

This is just another of those really stupid things that should have been fixed long ago in lightwave.

I already just rebuilt that mesh from scratch.. that was actually easier then rooting around trying to find out how you fix something like this.. LOL!

Yep, been there, done that.
Agreed.
Yeah, I tried searching, but found no love that way, either.
Gotta admit though, LW definitely keeps you on your toes. No slack for errors. ;)

SplineGod
04-19-2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40599

IMI
04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40599

Thanks, Larry.
That's not the one I was looking for, but it's great for reference. I still haven't been able to find the one I wanted, through searching here.

Anyone stumbling upon this thread might want to consider bookmarking specific links of things of interest for future reference, since the search function here is FUBAR. :)

nickej
08-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Did this problem ever get ironed out?

I've got a nasty, complex map that's just not enjoying all being squished together, so I thought I'd add another map to the object and move about half the UVs over to that one. Copy/Paste UVs doesn't seem to work across different maps, though, and that Cut/Paste UVs plugin doesn't work with 64-bit 9.5....

Any suggestions?

Dodgy
08-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Select the origin UV map, and select your UV's you want to copy.
Run Vmaps>General>Edit maps>Copy Vmap, and type in the name of the Vmap you wish to copy to (or a new one).

nickej
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey, Dodgy!
That worked brilliantly. Thanks! I seem to recall you've saved me on a few occasions. I try not to make a habit of it, but it's nice that you're there.

Andyjaggy
08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah this has thrown me before, a really odd way of doing it.