PDA

View Full Version : SIGGRAPH Party Information

Stranahan
07-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Here's some more information about the upcoming SIGGRAPH event..

It's going to be Monday, July 28th. The doors will open at 6pm. You'll want to be there early because space is limited and a couple of the big prize giveaways will be happening in the first hour (you must be present to win). Plus, the first to arrive will get a free drink ticket. Please, don't camp out over night or line up in front of the venue before 5:00pm.

The event is so big that it's happening at two sister clubs - The Onyx Room and Thin. These are amazing clubs in their own right, and only five blocks from the convention center in San Diego's party area, the GasLamp District.

Here are the clubs’ web pages:

http://thinroom.com/home.html

http://www.onyxroom.com/

Anyone from San Diego - go visit early and tell everyone about these clubs! Incredible places.

It was mentioned elsewhere, but to say again - this is a party planned with users in mind. No music so loud you can't hear a conversation, no empty dance floors. Lots of extremely comfortable places to sit, stand and talk… or to create!

We'll have multiple workstations where you can try the beta version of LightWave [8], Digital Fusion / DFX+ and even NewTek's brand new VT [3]. We'll even have old fashioned art supplies for the people amongst you who can draw.

We'll also have ample proof that when we say "It's Everywhere" about LightWave, we mean it. There will be LightWave created videogames you can play with, and LightWave movies and TV shows screening all over the place.

You gotta eat, right? We'll have a great variety of food, too. Whether you like sushi, chicken wings, veggies or Italian treats we'll have something there you'll love.

Plus, there will be giveaways, contests, and special guests.

NewTek is one of the sponsors of this party, but not the only one. It's also brought to you by...

Sega - who will be showing their Animanium Software
eyeon Software - our good friends and the makers of Digital Fusion and DFX+
Computer Graphics World Magazine - the leading CGI magazine in the world
Boxx Technologies - makers of the incredible computers for visual effects, desktop video, and render farms
Class On Demand - creators of awesome LightWave and VT-3 training videos hosted by top experts

You’ll definitely want to plan to attend this event – not only to mingle with all the smart, creative and fun people who attend SIGGRAPH -- but to see and try first hand the exciting new features of LightWave [8].

Keep watching this space for more details, to talk about the party, or to ask questions.

takkun
07-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Very impressive, are the Onyx and Thin clubs physically connected?

And Sega is going to be there, woohoo!!!

riki
07-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Sounds like fun, wish I was going. Oh well maybe next time.

Stranahan
07-21-2003, 07:40 PM
Thin is on street level - we'll have video games there, plus a couple of great conversation areas.

Onyx is downstairs - basement level. Most of the computers will be down there, as well as intimate seating.

nuclearchutney
07-21-2003, 11:10 PM
so its not by RSVP but on a first come first serve basis?

facial deluxe
07-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Wish I could be there :(

Hervé
07-22-2003, 12:40 AM
I'll be there in ..... 2010... promess...

Hervé

kevman3d
07-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Hey, come on NewTek - Stop! Stop it NOW!
I'm think I've contracted a bad case of 'Siggraph Envy' - I'm not coping with hearing about all these cool things I'm going to miss out on! :D

Exper
07-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Finally a blaze of glory! ;)

Bye.

Lamont
07-22-2003, 04:12 PM
I'll be there.. hehehe.. and lots of pictures!!

Stranahan
07-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Okay - here's the link...

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2003/index.html

mechis
07-24-2003, 10:58 PM
How do we sign up to win prizes? I don't see a link anywhere....
Thanks!

Stranahan
07-24-2003, 10:59 PM
It's a check box on the part where you sign up for the party - but Lamont was having trouble with it...

CardMSG
07-24-2003, 10:59 PM
http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2003/party/signup.html

mechis
07-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Oh- and I know that this might sound ridiculous, but will the video from the virtual booth be saved anywhere for download? While I would love to watch the presentations, I have to leave the house during the day. Please consider it Newtek!

Stranahan
07-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Thanks Card,

(I noticed you had Jamie Ian Swiss on your links - I've seen him a few times, including at the Castle....he's amazing...)

CardMSG
07-24-2003, 11:04 PM
They're typically just live streams that run for 8 hours a day and usually aren't saved, however, at NAB this year, someone created a film of NewTek at NAB. This served as a way for people who were unable to attend or watch the stream to see what went on.

I don't know if anyone's planning to do that at Siggraph or not.

CardMSG
07-24-2003, 11:05 PM
I agree! Jamy Ian Swiss is an awesome sleight of hand artist and an all around great guy.

kevman3d
07-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by CardMSG
...however, at NAB this year, someone created a film of NewTek at NAB. This served as a way for people who were unable to attend or watch the stream to see what went on...

I have the NAB 2000 one - It was a great watch!

I would have bought "[email protected]" this year, but I calculated it would come at over NZ$120 - That's a LOT of money for a 'look' at something you could get freely online if you had the bandwidth and lived in the right time zone. :)

Lets hope Siggraph 2003 has something - And lets hope its not gonna cost me an arm and leg just to 'check out'. :D

l. a. akira
07-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Sounds cool..See you guys there? Is there any dress code at all?

Lamont
07-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Dress code is: Wear clothes.

Stranahan
07-27-2003, 02:34 PM
If there's a dress code, I won't be allowed in...and since I'm organizing it, that would suck a lot..

Lamont
07-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Ahh, you're here in SD now?

Stranahan
07-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Here's the invite that Poli designed - you should see what he had to work with...

There's going to be a lot to do....

Stranahan
07-27-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm upstairs at the Starbucks on 5th, now...

But about to see if we can get Wifi going at the club...

Stranahan
07-27-2003, 03:23 PM
I'm now downstairs at Oynx.....

We are WiFI ready....

Gentlemen (and ladies) start your laptops!!!

Lamont
07-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Sweet, lemme get the laptop!!

policarpo
07-27-2003, 09:12 PM
You guys have a great time out there and defnitely keep us abreast of the cool lightwave 8 features...someone better take pictures of those flicker free lcd's thier running on. :D

l. a. akira
07-27-2003, 11:46 PM
we're gonna miss you man. hopefully next year, eh? :)

Matt
07-28-2003, 02:11 AM
Looks like great fun, hey Lee have a beer for me will ya! :)

Jriggs
07-28-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Stranahan
I'm now downstairs at Oynx.....

We are WiFI ready....

Gentlemen (and ladies) start your laptops!!!

Hey :)
How do you know if your party registration went thru?
Should I just show up there?
what if I want to bring a friend?
Should I just drop your name at the door? ;)

-John Riggs

p.s. I messaged you on the private messages here

kevman3d
07-28-2003, 04:10 AM
If anyone meets up with a couple of Kiwis by the names of Andy and Ray, say Kev told them to not drink too much or they won't be able to concentrate on those workshops the next morning! :)

nuclearchutney
07-28-2003, 05:29 AM
What? Kev, you're not coming?

Faisal

Stranahan
07-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Halfway through the training...almost a full house downstairs, and we're gearing up for the party...

Here's a quick pic of Jen, who wowed the crowd with her motion designer work...

Earl
07-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, and here I expected her to be cel shaded....

:D

kevman3d
07-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by nuclearchutney
What? Kev, you're not coming?
Faisal

I really wish I could have afforded the flight, accomodation for a couple of days (not to mention organsing leave from the 2 jobs I work between each week) and then the show costs as well...

I sorta feel annoyed I couldn't be there, but well, that's life... :(

Hope everyone is having/had fun (dunno what the time is there - I'm on NZ time!)

Kev

policarpo
07-28-2003, 04:06 PM
SOMEONE PLEASE POST LOTS OF PICTURES OF US SORRY LOT WHO WERE TOO BUSY TO GO!!!!

please. :D

kevman3d
07-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeh! Lots of piccies please - Like Proton's been doing for the main booth, I'd love to see plenty from this event as well! :)

Show us who's getting the drunkest! :D