PDA

View Full Version : Sub-surface scattering!

sean hargreaves
04-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Can anyone please tell me how to achieve sub-surface scattering using the node editor? I've been fiddling around with it for hours and nothings happening in my renders.

thx

Mark The Great
04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Do you mean the SSS nodes in the shader category or the Sigma/Sigma2 materials?

sean hargreaves
04-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Mark the Great,
I just want ANY type of subsurface scattering or glasslike depth, I'm trying to meet a deadline and I'm going out of my mind. Any suggestions (and please don't say Aspirin):D

Glass would be nice, wax, any kind of surfaces like this where the surface has depth.

Sean

sean hargreaves
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I think Dialectrics does something for glass, but I can't figure it out. I'm just working in the edit nodes area.

COBRASoft
04-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Sean, use the Dielectric material for glass, be sure to turn transparency and refraction on in the render panel. Also, use enough light so it can shine through the glass and make your environment rich enough so the glass can reflect something. You can also use the image world (Shift + F5). Also, put the Ray Recursion Limit to 6 or more (I usely use 6 to 10)

For wax and so, you could use the Delta material or the sigma I or II. Search this forum for these material names, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers on how to, where, ...

Mark The Great
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Here's a test scene that I have. Sigma is hooked up in the node editor. If it's not the look your looking for, then unhook the sigma and plug in the dielectric node already in the editor. If you're going for glass, I'd strongly suggest dielectric. It's dark because the scene was lit with a luminous polygon.

Hope this helps!

RudySchneider
04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't forget to enable nodes by checking the box to te right of the "Edit Nodes" tab in the Surface Editor.

sean hargreaves
04-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Going out to dinner for a stiff drink, my head hurts! Will report back tomorrow on my hopeful success on the dialectric and subsurface result!

Thanks guys!

COBRASoft
04-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Sean, look to my screenshots. These are the very basic setup for dielectric. Mind, don't turn 'double sided' on for the surface. Since 9.3.1, LW doesn't need this trick anymore :)

Matt
04-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Some presets here might help:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72846

sean hargreaves
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow!!!!
What great help you have all given me! I've had some cool results thanks to the help you gave me.
Matt thanks for the presets, very nice of you to give them out.

Now, how do I rotate my object and have the GRADIENT node I added rotate?
When I render from a different angle, the gradient is the same relation to the camera.

Sean

Matt
04-19-2008, 09:46 AM
What input do you have on the gradient? Depending on the type, some will change depending on the camera view / lights etc.

sean hargreaves
04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi Matt,
I have X coordinate as my input.

Sean

Matt
04-21-2008, 04:25 AM
Aaahhh that's why.

It's difficult to say what you should be using without knowing what you're creating, or the look you're going for.

Mark The Great
04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Well, I'm just guessing, but I think that if you were to make a null and parent it to the object, that the setup that I've attached might give the desired results (Where the item for the item info node is the null). But I'm not sure. There's probably an easier way to do it that I'm overlooking.

sean hargreaves
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys, Ill try the null idea.

You know what? I just thought of something incredible....I'm going to try it and report back...........

sean hargreaves
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Disaster, I though I was a genius for 1 minute then it all fell apart after the test...........:thumbsdow

dwburman
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
just a quick note for beginning in nodes...

the material nodes (sigma, dielectric, conductor etc...) plug into the light blur "material" input. The other shaders (SSS shaders = kappa, omega) plug into the "diffuse shading" input.

sean hargreaves
04-22-2008, 04:36 PM
dwburman thanks, thats vey helpful!:thumbsup: