PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Disco Ball tutorial.

jdsax
04-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Google isn't my friend on this one, it turned up nothing for lightwave and a disco ball or mirror ball. Lots for 3DS Max or Bryce, not that I have or even want those. Any direction is appreciated. Apparently, turning reflection to 100% only effects the reflection of the surroundings, excluding reflecting light rays onto walls. I made a sphere with no smoothing so it looks like a mirror ball. Now if I can just get the %$#@@ lights to bounce off to the walls.

Titus
04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
CG light doesn't work like real light, light will not bounce from the mirror ball to your walls, maybe with some radiosity.

For this you need to make a trick using a point light inside a hollow sphere with some transparent polygons. I'll explain later if find some free time from my job.

Mark The Great
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Oddly, enough, I was working on something similar recently. For the spots on the wall, I'd recommend making another, lower rez sphere (doing this with the actual disco ball really slows down my computer, as there are lots of polys). Select all polys on the lower-rez sphere (with the possible exception of the triangles on the top and bottom), go to the setup tab, and add luxigons.

Then, in layout, make one spotlight, and adjust it so that it makes a spot on the wall about the size and softness that you need. Then, select your lower rez sphere object and, on the items tab, go to lights/convert luxigons. When the dialog box comes up, select the spot light as the light to clone, press ok, and presto: several spot lights shining onto the wall, parented to the sphere for easy animation. If the spots look too regular, you can always jitter the original low rez ball a bit and redo the layout steps.

If you're wanting spots of several colors... then someone more experienced had better help. :D

*EDIT* Or do what Titus said. That'd be much easier, come to think of it.

SplineGod
04-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Do you need to see light bouncing off the disco ball or the spots of lights on the walls?

jdsax
04-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I was hoping there was a setting I was overlooking. Apparently it's a bit more involved than that but nothing beyond what I can do with what you've told me.

SplineGod, heck, tell me both ways if it's not too much trouble.

This is not for any important project, I just got a bug up my hiney to give it a try and found that it didn't work in the way I anticipated.

SplineGod
04-19-2008, 12:10 AM
a trick Ive used in the past to get the spots on the walls is to apply the crust procedural in the luminosity channel and make the disco ball the reference object. When the ball spins so will the texture.

serge
04-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Or you could use caustics. See picture. I made this a long time ago. I think I used the maximum accuracy (10000), and low softness. (The ball is just a simple default sphere with a reflective surface.)

jdsax
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I tried the crust procedural texture in the luminosity channel for all objects needing to have light dots and made the sphere the target for all. It works very nicely. An animation looks even better.

I tried to use the caustics method but for some reason, it crashed every time I tried to render.

SplineGod
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I usually start with methods that are quick and least likely to cause technical problems.
You can also use other types of textures with this method.