PDA

View Full Version : Video Cards: ATI Radeon X1900 XT and GeForce 7300 GT

BlueApple
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Purchased a new Mac and opted to upgrade the video card when I bought it. When the good people at the Mac store installed the new video card, they did not take out the old one out (nor was I charged for it.)

Now I have a Mac with both an ATI Radeon X1900 XT (Slot 1) and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (in Slot 2). Folks at the Mac store said that I didn't need to remove the old one for the new one to work.

What would you folks advise? Which one is actually getting used? Can the presence of one harm the performance of the other?

kfinla
04-18-2008, 07:52 PM
the one being used is simply the one your display or displays are hooked up to.. unless u have two monitors with one hooked up to each. The X1900XT is the better of those two cards.

SP00
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Purchased a new Mac and opted to upgrade the video card when I bought it. When the good people at the Mac store installed the new video card, they did not take out the old one out (nor was I charged for it.)

Now I have a Mac with both an ATI Radeon X1900 XT (Slot 1) and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (in Slot 2). Folks at the Mac store said that I didn't need to remove the old one for the new one to work.

What would you folks advise? Which one is actually getting used? Can the presence of one harm the performance of the other?

Unless you are running more than 2 displays, the card in your system is just taking up space and burning more electricity. I would remove the 7300GT card, as the x1900 is much better.

Jim_C
04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Personally, I would leave it and get another monitor, even if it's a dirt cheapy.
Running 2 does not degrade the performance of either card and you would love the extra real estate.

3dworks
04-20-2008, 02:53 AM
i wouldn't mix two brands of graphic cards because not sure if nvidia and ATI drivers would conflict in certain situations. the ATI card can perfectly drive 2 monitors at once, so removing the older card is my advice. apart of consuming energy, it adds up to the heat already generated inside your mac which isn't good in any case.

cheers

markus